Default with 10 points, is it a bad year to burn points in WY?

Anyone think I am crazy, I am tired of having these 10 points for Antelope for WY as a Nonresident. Is it a bad year to cash out? Was thinking of 57, but always wanted to hunt 64 and 67.. Winter kill as bad as everyone is saying? I just want to hunt, see a bunch of goats, have a good time, and have a chance at bettering my last 81 inch goat.
    Should I wait another year?
    Rod (Rodzilla)

Name:  Ant.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  86.6 KB

2. Default

From what i read so far, there are very defined areas where winter kill has been a affect, specifically the western half of the state. I cant speak for the SE, but the forecasts i have read for the NE are estimated as good to better than last year. A quick google search will show you the areas of the state most affected.

if you got em burn em

5. Default

I just drove through a huge chunk of Wyoming the other week and saw tons of antelope and many of them in large groups very seldom did i see less then 5 in a group, I was just south of those units also
    Last edited by mrklean; 03-21-2017 at 07:45 AM.

I wouldn't wait for next year, that is when the winterkill will be more apparent from this year. With that many points use them wisely. Call the biologist just to make sure your areas are doing ok. You should have a great hunt if you pick wisely.

In a similar boat. Son wants to hunt on his fall break, which will be late October. I have nine points and he has 5. I hate not to hunt opening day, but think I'm going to go ahead and cash out this fall.
    Am I thinking correctly that if we apply as a group, we'll have seven points each?

8. Default

You would have less than 8 points. Kinda a goofy system add the points together and divide by 2. If you look at draw odds everything over seven but less than 8 could work.

My opinion is who cares about the winter or points. If your son wants to hunt with you take him!! You can always get more points in future years you wont get this time back.

Math is not your strong suit...

Quote Originally Posted by Bhill552 View Post
    You would have less than 8 points. Kinda a goofy system add the points together and divide by 2. If you look at draw odds everything over seven but less than 8 could work.

My opinion is who cares about the winter or points. If your son wants to hunt with you take him!! You can always get more points in future years you wont get this time back.
    I'm definitely in the burn points mode.

I have 10 as well and am on the fence about burning them or doing 2nd choice units or just chasing elk somewhere instead.

Quote Originally Posted by 3855WIN View Post
    In a similar boat. Son wants to hunt on his fall break, which will be late October. I have nine points and he has 5. I hate not to hunt opening day, but think I'm going to go ahead and cash out this fall.
    Am I thinking correctly that if we apply as a group, we'll have seven points each?
    Yes you are correct.

9 + 5 = 14

14 / 2 = 7

Quote Originally Posted by mdunc8 View Post
    Math is not your strong suit...
    No kidding, LOL!

14. Default

Yup. Dont know how i messed that up. Good thing i dont balance the checkbook. I stand by paragraph 2.

Quote Originally Posted by JM77 View Post
    Good info, thanks for sharing! Basically stay away from the NW and SW, pretty much the western half of the state. I am so glad the apps are not due anytime soon. I am thinking odds should increase as folks will stay out this year, plus people will be pissed at the tag price increases coming up. Maybe this will be the year to go in!

If I were a NR with 10 points, there's no way I'd wait. The winter has been bad in a few spots, but most of the state is still in good shape. There are many more units with quota increases than units with decreases. Granted, spring weather can get pretty rough. A lot can happen in the next few months.

I would confirm and burn them if it were me. I used mine last year and had a good hunt, high end quality was very hard to find. I will not be building very many points before using them up on future hunts.

18. Default

Rod- PM me if you haven't made a plan yet. I may be able to help you out.

Doug