Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Elk hunting recommendation tips

Ironhayden

Im going on my first elk/deer hunt this year in mt in the bob Marshall wilderness area. Its a guided horseback hunt and im woundering if any of you with much more experience than me have some tips or advice to prepare myself for the hunt and or gear recommendations. The hunt will be in the beginning of November and its a rifle hunt. Any information would be great.

Listen to what your guide tells you (in preparation and in the field).

Start getting in shape now. You cannot overdo this, unless you injure yourself. Seriously, you want to be in the best shape possible.

Break in your boots beforehand. Make sure they're comfortable.

Practice your shooting. Don't just do it from the bench. Practice standing, prone, sitting... Practice at 100 yards, 200 yards, 300 yards... Know what you're capable of.

Have a great time! You're soooo lucky!

All good advice above. You can not be in too good of shape for elk hunting. Also make sure you ride horses as much as possible before your hunt. You will be amazed at how sore you will be after hours in a saddle if you are not used to it.

All good advice above. You can not be in too good of shape for elk hunting. Also make sure you ride horses as much as possible before your hunt. You will be amazed at how sore you will be after hours in a saddle if you are not used to it.

Words of wisdom right there.

Any experience above 8K elevation? Plane rides don't count. If you don't know how your body tolerates that altitude, discuss w your physician. How bad would it suck to be bad sick or have to be evacuated from your dream hunt?

Bring a bottle or two of pepcid complete antacids. The altitude messes with your bodies pH level. Antacids will help raise the level back to normal. Also defends against a five alarm chilli attack! I like the berry flavor.
Share em with others in camp to score browny points and help keep all in better spirits!

All good advice. I will reiterate both the conditioning, and the riding prep.
You are likely going into the Bob either through the swan valley or the Ovando side, and both will likely be 10 miles plus just to get into camp. it would suck to be so sore that you couldn't hunt the next day from the pack in.
Also, practice shooting at up to 4-500 yards if possible, I know of several clients that friends guided last year that missed good bulls because they didn't practice over 100 yards back home.
Make sure you bring a good camera as well, the Bob is some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen. Have fun, good luck, and post up lots of pictures here!

Thanks for the tips so far they are the ones I'm working on or on my list so far. Any gear recommended that you were glad you had or wish you had.

Some sort of wind proof shell has served me well, I usually carry my packable rain wear. Practice with your rifle a lot and from different positions, I missed a 350" bull last year and I had practiced a lot out to 600 but hadn't sprinted up a mountain to shoot. I will be in the future practicing running and then trying to shoot. It can't be stated enough be in shape will pay dividends, even for a flatlander like me I got my breath back quicker and could go longer. I trained with weight in my pack and the boots I wore out there a lot. Good luck. Also don't be afraid to help with camp chores and as stated above listen to your guide they want you to be successful and usually are very familiar with the area and habits of the game that inhabits it.

Packable Goretex rain gear made it more comfortable when it snowed the evening of our first day. Try to get there a little early so your body can adjust a little. To avoid altitude sickness, stay hydrated. Keep your hydration bladder full and every evening when we came in we would drink some Hydrate and Recover. Keep Tums and Advil handy. We hunted at 10,000 feet at a drop camp. When the outfitter brought the horses to pick us up he asked us if we had done ok. He was concerned because we were flatlanders from the Texas Gulf Coast. We had all done pretty good except for maybe a slight headache. He told us that he had a hunter from Denver that had gotten sick and had to send someone to bring him out. Met up with them on the trail down and poor fella looked like death warmed over.

Last edited:
Prepare with the mentality that you are going to succeed in getting an elk, but also realize there is a very good chance things won't work out. I know it sounds contradictory, but the mental aspect is very important. These types of hunts are much different than the long weekend excursions a lot of people are used to, they are very much a grind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back