Benefits of applying as a "party" in Wyoming?

That's the entire point of applying as a party. Not sure how that's crappy, unless you were just hoping it was making it easier to fill out 5 apps with the same hunt codes.

Because, what is the point? Is it a separate draw or is it no different than everyone applying for their own tag? If it isn't its own draw, what exactly is the point of applying as a group?

Because, what is the point? Is it a separate draw or is it no different than everyone applying for their own tag? If it isn't its own draw, what exactly is the point of applying as a group?

Here's how it works, if you apply as a party, you either all draw, or none of you draw. However, you only have one number in the draw, for the entire party, not 5 separate chances for everyone in your party.

The reason that some people apply in a party is so that if they all draw they can hunt together. It makes sense to me from a NR standpoint if you're coming from several hundred miles away, split the fuel, food, camp together etc.

I personally don't apply as a party very often. Used to apply with my family for pronghorn on a party application in Montana years ago.

Buzz hit it right on the head. I hunted pronghorn in Wyoming in 2014 on a bucket list hunt for my wife's uncle. I did 90% of the planning, due to him not being the most technologically advanced person. If both of us didn't draw there was no way he could have completed the hunt on his own. It also helped him afford to go out there.

Here are some scenarios that illustrate the benefit:

3 of us are hunting Elk together this year. Zero points in WY as I went last year. We either want all three to draw, or none to draw. If we don’t draw, it’s Montana or Idaho. Party app ensures that happens. (We didn't draw - we're going to MT)

Also - with zero points we were into the random draw this year. There is a much higher chance of the party drawing, than all three drawing individually. Also - if you were at a PP level in the preference point draw where not everyone with that many points draws a tag (e.g. let’s say 50% of 1PP draws a tag and you all have 1PP), then the same would hold true - party gives you a better chance.

Last edited:
This really depends on who you're applying with.

1) Megan Fox (no points)
2) Cameron Hanes (11 points)
3) Elk Cheese (10 points)
4) Your kids (4 points)

Tough decisions, depending on what's important to you.

Good, deep, intriguing, thoughts...all things being not equal, I am hunting with Megan.

Interesting. I have a group of 5 and we want to go for Antelope. If we apply for a group we either all get tags, or we all do not get tags? That is a crappy system. I guess we will all apply separately as we had originally planned.

Genuine question... what other point would there be to having a party application?

To me, a guy who lives in Michigan and has a long drive, I like to know that all in our party will draw or we won't. That way we have a plan we can stick to. If we don't draw and some in my party back out I just buy leftovers and go with fewer people.

You aren't confusing party hunting with a party application, are you? Regardless of your application you can not party hunt in Wyoming. Party hunting is very common in the midwest and very illegal out west.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back