Zodi showers at altitude

jvanhoy

I've been researching buying one of these for our elk hunt this year in WY. We've been spoiled in CO because there's a shower house at our campground and another at some cabins you can pay to use. The only bad reviews I've found is a few people have said they will not heat well at altitude. Our base camp will be around 8500 so im thinking we will be fine. Also there is a zip model and a instant model which is red. Both I've read the trick is to recirculate the water to get it hot. Any suggestions?

Haha i just noticed they're in a amazon add on the right side of the home page. They must be bigfin approved.

I have a single burner Zodi and have had no issues anywhere I've used it. The water does get warmer quicker if you recirculate it in the bucket.

Mine has worked fine anywhere at any elevation. Just remember to drain it if it's going to dip below freezing at night.

Haha i just noticed they're in a amazon add on the right side of the home page. They must be bigfin approved.

It's part of the ad company he works with. Maybe even watch for the jet.com banner. They offer 15% discounts and discounts for using debit cards often beating Amazon but they aren't near as fast to ship

20140829_171122.jpg

I have an eccotemp type. I had the screen on the zodi clog up. Eccotemp gives you more control. I hunt with a couple of ....well you can call them what you'd like. But here's my set up. Made the trailer just for it. 65 gallons of water. 12v pump with a solar panel on the charger. It works for us, but I know it won't work in a lot of situations.

View attachment 69040

I have an eccotemp type. I had the screen on the zodi clog up. Eccotemp gives you more control. I hunt with a couple of ....well you can call them what you'd like. But here's my set up. Made the trailer just for it. 65 gallons of water. 12v pump with a solar panel on the charger. It works for us, but I know it won't work in a lot of situations.

That's a cool rig.

View attachment 69040

I like a shower as much as the next guy, but holy cow

Welder by trade, so why not. We ran out of time in that pic, but we left the tongue long and made baskets that go on either side of the tongue to fit 2 large coolers. Also made a basket for the hitch on the wheeler. With the eccotemp you can adjust flow and heat...and have 3 settings on the shower head. Having 4 or 5 guys use it for 10 days it is nice. It works for us, but access is pretty good. No crazy terrain.

But the Zodi does work in altitude. I just wanted to upgrade.:cool:

I have a single burner Zodi and have had no issues anywhere I've used it. The water does get warmer quicker if you recirculate it in the bucket.

I agree with this, also when we do happen to have a fire in the stove we will preheat water on there too while someone else is taking a shower to speed up the process.

I did have some issues with mine wanting to light the pilot last trip at 9500 ft but I closed off part of the venturi opening with some duck tape and it seemed to be fine after.

I finally broke down and bought the single burner Zodi. I can NOT get the water flowing out of the showerhead at any more than a drip. Heater seems to fire and work fine, though it's hard to tell.

Besides replacing the pump with a 12v bilge pump (meaning I would have to carry an extra battery - at which point I'd probably just get an RV shower), any tips?

I finally broke down and bought the single burner Zodi. I can NOT get the water flowing out of the showerhead at any more than a drip. Heater seems to fire and work fine, though it's hard to tell.

Besides replacing the pump with a 12v bilge pump (meaning I would have to carry an extra battery - at which point I'd probably just get an RV shower), any tips?

You might want to check to see if any of the filters are @#)(# eyed. I've had mine for about 5 years and never had an issue.

I had 2 problems with my zodi. The battery pump sucked as well as the hose that came with as it was kinked. That was no big deal since I was planning on using a 12v pump on my trailer anyway. But after 3 years there was a screen for the fuel that clogged and wouldnt light. That's when I bought the eccotemp. Could have been something goofy with the propane. Luckily had carb cleaner and tools with to clean the screen. Swapped propane tanks and clogged again a couple days later

Last edited:
I had 2 problems with my zodi. The battery pump sucked as well as the hose that came with as it was kinked. That was no big deal since I was planning on using a 12v pump on my trailer anyway. But after 3 years there was a screen for the fuel that clogged and wouldnt light. That's when I bought the eccotemp. Could have been something goofy with the propane. Luckily had carb cleaner and tools with to clean the screen. Swapped propane tanks and clogged again a couple days later

That's what merino wool and baby wipes are for :W:

I bought mine used from ebay and it flows great sounds like something is clogged up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back