Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

15x binos worth the price?

CONative44

What are the benefits of 15x binos? For the same price isnt it better to get a decent spotting scope?

Glassing through 15x binos on a tripod is pretty sweet. When I can afford it I will get a pair.

I've found a spotting scope is much better. I use an eyepatch ( available at the drugstore) so I can sit and glass with the scope for hours with no eyestrain. Eyestrain is the reason most go for the big binos. With a tripod (necessary for binos and scope) I can work horizontally and vertically and really pick the country apart. Then when I see something worthy of another look I can crank the power up for a better look. That is not available on the bino. FWIW. GJ

15x Swaros are a game changer for me, luckily though it is my hunting partner that owns the ones I get to use.

15's are game changers. Best purchase I've made over the last few years. I like them a lot more than the spotter.

I have 10X binos now, was saving up for a pair of 12X figuring my next purchase after that would be a spotting scope. Would anyone say saving for 15Xs instead of the 12Xs would be a better idea?

I like the eye patch idea ill have to try that. I get bad eye fatigue with spotters.

I've not found anything better for finding critters in big country than 15X on a tripod. Very often still need a spotter to evaluate. My dream set up is 8 or 10X for around the neck, a set of 15s on a tripod that can be swapped for a spotter when needed. Doubt I'll ever get there as I'm cheap...

Forget the 12's. Eye patches from the dollar store are also game changers.

I'm not a "trophy" hunter so my lightweight 15's take precedence over my spotting scope. Usually I can see everything I need to with 15's. Great for spotting herds of elk or figuring out if a buck is close to the width of his ears. At that point it's time to make moves.

On OTC tags my spotter stays home more often than it doesn't.

I spent last year with a pair of minox 15x56, older model, on a tripod, I was amazed at the animals I spotted year long vs. handheld 10x or a 18x45x65 spotter. I sold the spotter,,,,,

What is the optical formula? Could be a workable solution, but what is the price? I've seen digiscoping setups that are binocular but the price will set you back muy grande dinero. GJ

I've glassed a lot with 10's and 15's...and a spotter.

The 15's are nice, but the real game changer is putting even 10's on a tripod. I glassed side by side with a lot of guys hunting coues deer in AZ and I found more deer with my 10's than they were with 15's. The other problem, is that stuff that's say, 200-500 yards away is really tough to glass with 15's, its just too close and you don't cover it right.

IMO, at least with my eyes the way they are now, I wouldn't waste money on 15's. I think the perfect set up is a high quality pair of 10's, a rock solid tripod, and a high quality spotting scope.

I have 15 swaros and absolutely love them but I am starting to think the way Buzz is. The game changer is the tripod not the 15s. I backpacked for coues a couple years ago and had 10s around my neck,15s for the tripod and a spotter to get a close look once deer are found. Way to much weight to be carrying. I am starting to explore the idea of mounting my 10x geovids and bringing a spotter to evaluate once game is spotted and leave the 15s at home. That said I am not sure I could ever sell the 15's.

I concur, the game changer is the tripod. So much is lost in the wobbles.

My 10x50's backed with my new to me spotter is going to find me the biggest forkhorn on the mountain this fall.

I have the good 10x, the great 15x, and the great 20-60x, and a nasty heavy-to-carry but sweet to use bogen tripod. Tripod always goes and the others go in that order of importance, from low to high. Sometimes on brutal hunts a 30 x spotter slips in between #1 and #2, eliminating the upper two along with a POS tripod which weighs ounces instead of pounds.

It's a LAZY man can't get his wife that second job... then buy 'em all and pick and choose.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back