Stock Painting Project Complete

Took my first shot at painting a black stock this weekend. My son wanted his Savage 16 SS 7mm08 to be brown with black webbing look and a "sandy" feel. It turned out better than I was expecting for a first attempt.

First I degreased/de-oiled the stock with acetone. Then I lightly sanded with 1500 emory paper, followed by a wipe down with acetone. When fully dry I applied 3 light coats of Dupli-Color CP199 Clear Adhesion Promoter Primer spray according to instructions; and then applied 3 even coats of Rust-Oleum Dark Brown Textured Spray (30 min between each coat). After 30 min I applied Krylon Black Lava Marbelizing Spray to taste. After 48 hours dry time I lightly rubbed with 0000 steel wool.

I am going to give it 2 weeks to fully cure, and will then apply 2 coats of Brownell AlumaHyde II epoxy-based clear matte sealing coat and finish with light brushing with 0000 steel wool.

brownstock.jpg

Last edited:
Lots of awesome work on here! I thought I would share my first attempt. Butler Creek synthetic stock that I re-did on my Howa 1500. I think I will do a few more this way.
KIMG0429.jpg

I as sitting here thinking, what kind f fool put's paint on a walnut stock? Then I remembered, I have two plastic stock's that I took off other rifles and don't use. I might have to try that! Some of those look really nice but when I touch them, feel like plastic!

Paint and a layer or two of clear coat does change the feel of the plastic. It may not feel as good as wood but it improves the normal Tupperware feel from the factory.

IMG_20180129_092711163.jpg

Just repaired a hole won into stock and repainted my ulw 300wby. I have atleast a dozen i have done with webbing so wanted try something new. This a textured "stone"finish and is has a great grip to it and as always i like to final coat mine with alumahyde clearcoat matte (brownells) stuff is amazing durable and solvent resistent.

View attachment 80258

Just repaired a hole won into stock and repainted my ulw 300wby. I have atleast a dozen i have done with webbing so wanted try something new. This a textured "stone"finish and is has a great grip to it and as always i like to final coat mine with alumahyde clearcoat matte (brownells) stuff is amazing durable and solvent resistent.

I was going to do one in this “stone” effect, but the only spray cans I found were indoor, not indoor/outdoor so I baulked. Did you find a brand that was outdoor?

For my daughter's first centerfire I bought a beat to hell old Savage. We re-barreled it to 7mm-08 and made some other modifications. The stock was laminate that had a split in it. I pinned it back together and duracoted it. Here is the result.

svgproja.jpg

svgprojc.jpg

efw, I wish I could view your pictures? MTTW, I really like your webbing. Is there a procedure you did from start to finish? And a list of the products? Thanks in advance

Rejuvenating an older post, i took on my first rifle build, starting from a Tikka T3x superlite in 270 win, pulled off the plastic stock and replaced with a Wildcat ultralite stock, glass bedded the receiver and a fresh paint job. Ended up 6lbs-15oz with the vx5 scope.

Attachments

• IMG_5941.jpeg
    IMG_5941.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 70916205287__C97D597A-CD06-46AB-B23F-0672687DBE11.jpeg
    70916205287__C97D597A-CD06-46AB-B23F-0672687DBE11.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5931.jpeg
    IMG_5931.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5939.jpeg
    IMG_5939.jpeg