Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Stock Painting Project Complete

aws1963

After reading several posts about painting a rifle stock on multiple hunting sites, I decided to take a "stab" at it with my "boring" black Model 7.

Being somewhat ADD afflicted :cool: it was difficult to slow down, do the proper prep work, take my time painting multiple coats, practicing with the "spider web" effect on a 2x4 and generally just take the time to do it right.

In the end, I did and am pretty happy with the results.

Andy

Before:

After:

That turned out great. I've done a few like that. Once you get the feel of the webbing paint, it works really well. I always spray mine with automotive laquer to help the finish hold up. mtmuley

That turned out great. I've done a few like that. Once you get the feel of the webbing paint, it works really well. I always spray mine with automotive laquer to help the finish hold up. mtmuley

Thanks mtmuley. I put 3 good coats of matte clear on it.

Doing the webbing was a little nerve wracking. Not something you want to have an "Oh $^&#" moment on. Anyone considering doing this, I highly advise practicing on either an old POS stock or a 2x4 to get the feel of how the paint "flies" out of the can. You have to figure out the motion (flexing your wrist) while painting or you will get blobs (my 2x4 first practices proved this).

elkantlers.

In hindsight, I wish I had made a "how to" photo book. To be brutally honest, I was not confident in how it was going to turn out so I did not do one. Based on the success of this first attempt, I will be doing another one shortly here on another one of my composite stocked bolt guns. I'll be sure to do a photo essay on that one.

For those interested, these are the products I used for this project:

Used "brillo" pad to rough up stock first. Then hit with the brake cleaner. Important to note: after cleaning, you need to use latex gloves (non powder) from then on to avoid putting oils on the clean stock. Using the DupliColor Adhesion Promoter is the best advice I can give (don't skip this). This provides a much better "grip" surface for the subsequent paint to adhere to.

For applying Adhesion promoter, base color and clear coat consider getting one of these paint handles:

It's much easier to control the application of paint. Be sure to start the flow away from the stock and sweep cleanly through stopping when you are clear. You will avoid "spatter spots" with this technique.

Best advice I can give is "PATIENCE". If your ADD like me, you want it done and done NOW! You have to step away and take your time as much as you want to "get er' done"!

Appreciate all the nice comments folks.

Last edited:
That looks great! I'm about to take the plunge and buy a rifle with an ugly synthetic stock (I'm an oil finished walnut guy), and really like the spider web look.

I'm going to be doing a couple of my synthetic stocks here soon. I'm not doing mine all pretty and cool like yours. I'm just doing stripes and blobs like the snipers with my platoon did in Iraq.

I have the same rifle and did the same thing last summer, except in brown with black webbing. Looks great, good work there.

I will when I can remember to take one, I'm on midnights this week. I used the matte clear and it really helps the paint hold up. I used the webbing paint instead of the marbled but after seeing yours I think the marbled looks better.

Great advice. I let the stock hang with an old wire coat hanger in my home office for 2 weeks at room temperature before putting it back together.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back