28 Nolser vs RUM....opines sought

You already have a Mashburn....what more do you need? Style, panache and efficiency.

A big .30 moving a 245 would be an absolutely nasty long range steel smacker. Probly have to go .338 to best it. mtmuley

Thanks for the detailed reply ol spark. Rough guess on the round count is circa 500. Last throat check was in '14 so I have a basis. Tried lights thru heavy for caliber bullets. Likes heavies best. It is hunting accurate but Sub moa is what I'm looking for. Gonna check it thoroughly this weekend.

Jr... the Mash is everything you said it was. Faster than the RUM with 12 gr less powder. Sub half" @ 3067 w/ 180 Scenar L.

If it happens that a new barrel is justified it will most likely be a 300 RUM.

I finally found my recipe today. We forgot the Chrony so maybe Friday I'll get definite numbers for that although the last time we checked we were in the 3050fps range. This is my 5 shot group at 100 with 195 bergers. 28 Nosler
Tylers gun.jpg

Last edited:
So fun having accurate guns.

I agree. I'm done wasting time with rifles that won't shoot. Personally I don't think any of the calibers mentioned will do the job that much better than the other. I would base my decision on component availability unless there is a caliber that really peaks your interest. The money spent to have a new barrel put on will be worth it. Life is too short to have crappy shooting rifles

Lawnboy, you guys need to put more space out in front of those rifles. mtmuley

Just working up loads for them now. We shoot plenty out far. I'll be honest I'm reluctant to post the stuff we do out far for fear of being crucified by "antis" on hunting forums.

Just working up loads for them now. We shoot plenty out far. I'll be honest I'm reluctant to post the stuff we do out far for fear of being crucified by "antis" on hunting forums.

I see no need to be fearful of the ability to hit targets far away. Lots to be learned. I won't crucify you guys. mtmuley

7 MSM...180 Scenar L @ 100 ....will be ordering the dial for the VXR 4x12 from recipe

I agree with MT. Rebarrel it to 300RUM throated for heavy bullets and rock on especially since your Mashburn shoots awesome!

I'd spin a 1-8" twist 7mm barrel on it and ream to Mashburn and launch 195 grain bergers. You already have the dies for your other one and you can't have to many mashburns. I happen to know a guy with a reamer too

I agree with Fire9. I'd rebarrel based on component availability. Not much difference between the two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back