Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Federal Fusion vs. Hornady Interlock

Brian in Montana

What say you? In terms of trajectory and energy and BC they appear pretty close. My .308 seems to like them both. I've shot deer and elk with Interlocks of various sizes, calibers, and distances, and I've always been very impressed with their terminal performance. They always punch a good wound channel through the animal without fragmenting. I read good things about the fusions, though, so I'm interested in them.

I'm fond of Fusions. They shoot very well and accurate, are a good price, and kill the hell out of stuff. I shoot them in my 25-06, 30-06 that I just sold, my wife's .308, and my .300 WM. Now that they've become popular the prices are going up a bit, but still not all that bad. I'm going to give AccuBonds a try in my new 30-06.

I've been reloading Hornady Interlocks in three calibers for a long time and have never really looked to change to anything else since their accuracy is great and they give great terminal performance every time.

I've used them both in factory ammo and lean toward the fusions due them being more accurate in my rifles. I however would not hesitate to shoot either at deer sized game.

Assuming equal accuracy, I'd guess neither you nor the critter would be able to tell the difference between the two out of a 308.

I'm giving a very slight advantage to the Interlock BTSP in terms of accuracy, but I mean like a 10th of an inch in a very controlled shooting situation. For intents and purposes, pretty much the same. Gotta give the Fusions a slight advantage (according to what the websites say) for BC and energy. Oh yeah, and price. So I was just wondering if someone has hunted with both and could compare their terminal performance on the bigger end of medium game - like a beefy mule deer.

I have had great results with Fusions in .270 with deer, and one elk. My wife has taken several deer with Fusions in 7mm-08. Again, great results. I have recovered a couple bullets that were well mushroomed and held together even after hitting heavy bone and lodging just under the hide on the far side of the animal.

Never had a problem with a critter dying from a Hornady Interlock. the 165 in a 30-06 is an efficient and fast killer on deer & pronghorn. SHot 1 elk with the 225 grain Interlock from a 338 and wished I had a stronger bullet, but she still died.

Have ahd good luck handloading with speer bullets as well (the fusion bullet) but never shot anything with them. I think it's about 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen the other. I tend to have more red on my reloading bench than yellow though.

I've done some internet searches on both, shooting forums, customer reviews, and such, I've found a few stories of bullet failures in fusions but none for Interlocks. They both seem to be pretty good bullets, though, for money you spend on them.

I have used them both and prefer the Fusions in factory loads. They have shot very well and sometimes better than my handloads! I have used them in 223, 6.8 SPC, 243. 7mm Hunttalk, 308 and 7mm Rem mag. I agree with the above that they are priced nicely and are the lowest cost bonded core ammo on the market as far as I know. Couple that with the fact that they have shot great in every gun I've tried them in, they're a winner!

I have shot deer with both out of a 30-06, and hands down the Hornady performs much better in my opinion. I had the fusions fragment several times, the interlock seem to hold up better IMO.

Seems kinda strange since fusions are "electro-chemically fused" and the Interlocks are mechanically bonded, but that's what I seem to be hearing. I'd think electrochemical bonding would be stronger and result in less fragmentation.

I've had nothing but very positive experience with Fusion bullets, they're seriously underrated in my opinion.

I reload so price isn't much of a consideration for me. I've shot factory fusions from my .270 and they performed very well for an off the shelf bullet. I load interlocks in .243, 6.5creed, and 270 win. They all perform excellent on everything I have killed. Lots and Lots of DRTs.

Not to hijack the thread, but i just picked up a 25-06 that came with about 500 of the 120gr fusion heads. John, I noticed you were loading them, any tips on combinations of powder, primer and brass yours likes. I know all guns are different, but i am always interested in others experiences. Thanks, Nathan

What say you? In terms of trajectory and energy and BC they appear pretty close. My .308 seems to like them both. I've shot deer and elk with Interlocks of various sizes, calibers, and distances, and I've always been very impressed with their terminal performance. They always punch a good wound channel through the animal without fragmenting. I read good things about the fusions, though, so I'm interested in them.

I haven't killed an elk with either, but I have shot a black bear with the fusion bullet and it was perfect. Both will perform similarly. In a 308 you wont have a failure either. At least I haven't in an 06' rifle. I m a big Speer(fusion), Hornady, Sierra kinda guy. Just love plain old cup and core bullets for the standard cartridges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back