Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Montana fish wildlife and parks deer management

Deer quality in the badlands far exceeds that of public land in Montana. No comparison.

And do you like to hunt ? I dunno about you but I'm not waiting 8 years between tags quality or not. I've shot some nice bucks in montana nothing huge but most I've been pretty happy with and I get to hunt Muleys every year .

I believe Montana FWP thinks management is tags sold $ and animals harvested. To blame elk is an easy out that is not true. An example would be look at large private propertys that support large elk and deer herds, that contain mature animals. Only the kings men are able to hunt these propertys so it is basically like a limited entry tag on asmaller scale. I have also noticed more rut activity during Dec/Jan. I assume of all the hunting pressure. Just a thought general season 3 weeks, with 3pt restriction unless a youth hunter, then limited entry last 2 weeks. How did the root form all the limited entry units it has now. Maybe we will get lucky and the root bio will get promoted to the head of FWP. Worst case scenerio I will call peta on FWP. "Save the muleys".

How did the root form all the limited entry units it has now. Maybe we will get lucky and the root bio will get promoted to the head of FWP.

2 of those LE HD's were 5 Root bios ago, and it took 3 years and a lot of hard work from a local sportsmen group to get them.

North Dakota has it setup good with districts but do nothing to manage the deer at all . The nd gf has 0 idea how many deer there is . Honestly I've never seen a more screwed up department in my life than nd gf . Fwp isn't close to as bad .

I will respectfully disagree! They fly and count md yearly and wt when adequate snow permits, they issue tags based on those numbers. Tags issued change yearly. This is management.

Fwp changes no tags, can't count to 5. Gives out 5000 doe tags for no specific area 4 years after a major die off. Maintains the status quo for 2 years after the die off on doe tags. And frankly seem to have no effn idea why those pesky little sub unit designations are listed under region 7.

This may be a lot of things but it is NOT management!

I will respectfully disagree! They fly and count md yearly and wt when adequate snow permits, they issue tags based on those numbers. Tags issued change yearly. This is management.

Fwp changes no tags, can't count to 5. Gives out 5000 doe tags for no specific area 4 years after a major die off. Maintains the status quo for 2 years after the die off on doe tags. And frankly seem to have no effn idea why those pesky little sub unit designations are listed under region 7.

A big +1

I live in ND . Respectfully , if you think nd gf does a good job of anything you my friend have no clue

I have the fly over data from this year on the Bridgers 312-50 in an email but I'm not sure how to post the information on here. It has the count trends going back to the 80's. If someone wants I'll send it to them and they can post it.

You guys in the root should be the example to follow. Here in Dillon the bio is a good dude, but I don't really think he has much say. I know there counts are basically guestimation and they include the private. The public just takes a beating.

Ahhh I see what's really going on here! Yes nothing good in nd folks keep on moving!

No honest that's not what I meant . The badlands do offer great hunting but about 6 years ago they aboutbkilled off the mule deer with extra tags then way too late they smartened up and didn't sell a mule Doe tag until last year . Things are looking up out there but it's hard to draw a gun tag takes about 8 yrs . I meant no disrespect and I'm great with people coming over to hunt just stating that our gf does a horrible job

ND game and fish did do a poor job going crazy with the for tags for both muley and whitetail. Even though they don't have the best track record for deer management, managing by smaller units in itself does help by displacing the pressure somewhat. I enjoy the freedoms of being able to go wherever I want to hunt for 5 weeks, but it's really not practical from a management standpoint in this day in age. With the freedom to go anywhere, severe overpressure in an area can really put a hurt on the population and quality in just a year or 2. Obviously MT has a huge area to manage, but I don't think it's unreasonable to break the 7 regions down to more individually managed units.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back