Caribou Gear

Average Joe Hunting Adventures with Dan and CJ

I was Turkey from 07-08 and had a blast. 20 years old, drinking beer on a topless beach, whats not to like? When I went back again from 13-15 I'd rather of been scrubbing shitters in Antarctica.
I've drawn the McGreagor tag a couple times and have helped out on a bunch of hunts down there. Some people would want to smack me in the mouth for this statement, but Oryx dont really do a whole lot for me anymore. Someday I'm going to draw the Barb tag on that range and kill a gagger.

When are you planning on doing your OTC barb hunt? Maybe we can PM some info.

Since you're the functional, you need to make your next assignment Kirtland. Much better geographic location for hunting purposes.

I was Turkey from 07-08 and had a blast. 20 years old, drinking beer on a topless beach, whats not to like? When I went back again from 13-15 I'd rather of been scrubbing shitters in Antarctica.
I've drawn the McGreagor tag a couple times and have helped out on a bunch of hunts down there. Some people would want to smack me in the mouth for this statement, but Oryx dont really do a whole lot for me anymore. Someday I'm going to draw the Barb tag on that range and kill a gagger.

When are you planning on doing your OTC barb hunt? Maybe we can PM some info.

Since you're the functional, you need to make your next assignment Kirtland. Much better geographic location for hunting purposes.

That's the goal.... lucky for me, not too many people are raising their hand to go to Cannon or Kirtland.
So I stand a VERY good chance of going back. I also wouldn't mind Holloman....
You'd be surprised, but Clovis has a good geographic location for hunting too. I can hunt NM and then blitz off to places like Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas with ease.
I would like being over on your side though because I could explore new areas and get up to my elk unit much quicker.

As far as the oryx hunt goes, I understand. You drive around, you glass, you stalk, and then you either shoot one or repeat the efforts again.
I think the only reason I wouldn't mind it again is because I LOVE the meat.

The barb hunt was going to take place early July, but work just got in the way of that. So now it's either going to be tied into another hunt (if I tag out early on elk I may run down for a few days in Sept, if I tag out early on antelope then I may run down for a few days) but I'm thinking probably November or December right now. It's up in the area because I have so many other hunts already planned. My goal for the hunt though is to shoot a ram. They are beautiful animals and I want one on the wall!

Speaking of gaggers........ that coues you shot is fridge HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I fb stalked)

You at least lucked out in Turkey and got to experience what it's like off base. When I just went through there they were all on base restriction and didn't have their dependents. A lot of zombies walking around over there because of that.

Are you on the 130 or CV-22 for muns? Or do you all kind of work in the same shop?
I didn't ask yet, but will you go DIY for your wife's ram hunt?

Last edited:
It's prob a better decision to wait until the fall for your barb hunt. Hunting those guys is glassing game. During that time of year you only have a half hour after sun up and a half hour before dark of good glassing, otherwise you're miraged out. Another concern, at least in my OTC area, is that monsoons can wash out roads and get you stuck for days.

It's prob a better decision to wait until the fall for your barb hunt. Hunting those guys is glassing game. During that time of year you only have a half hour after sun up and a half hour before dark of good glassing, otherwise you're miraged out. Another concern, at least in my OTC area, is that monsoons can wash out roads and get you stuck for days.

I'll have to look into that for sure as far as the roads..... I've been scoping out a new unit to hunt them in and I'm not entirely sure how the road systems are in there..... thanks for that tip!

I'll shoot you a PM as it gets closer to that time. Im just getting all amped up for this year.

Fairly simple weekend down here in Florida!

Hit the gym hard, shot my bow, tried to do a little fishing, and ate game meat!
Life is pretty good!

Shooting a bow down here in Florida cannot be done without a full can of bug spray.
These sneaky little buggers will fly around your head, into your ears, and into your eyeball..... yikes! It's not fun at all!

I shot great and it feels good because I'm 75 days away from my hunt.

The gym has been going great too. I'm down another lb, growing in strength and endurance, and I just feel good!

I also wanted to kill a few minutes so I tried fishing a small pond on one of the bases.
Within 15 minutes I was surrounded by turtles.... I took that as my sign to go lol.

As far as draws go:
I did not draw Maine moose.
Florida quota hunts may be released this week.
Wyoming deer results will be out the 22! I put in for a super long shot, but we will see!

I'm hoping this mojo keeps going. I'm ready to sprint those mountains and chase elk!

The meatloaf may not look that good, but it was the best thing I've ever had.
I mixed both version ground with cajun venison sausage, onions, toasted publix rolls, and other goodies.
I smoked it for 4 hours and 45 minutes at 160 and it's SO GOOD! nom nom nom

Attachments

• IMG_1731.jpg
    IMG_1731.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_1732.jpg
    IMG_1732.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_1739.jpg
    IMG_1739.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_1738.jpg
    IMG_1738.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_1724.jpg
    IMG_1724.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_1726.jpg
    IMG_1726.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_1728.jpg
    IMG_1728.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_1729.jpg
    IMG_1729.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_1741.jpg
    IMG_1741.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
After being gone for a few weeks I had a pretty low key weekend. I did a little reloading, shooting and took my daughter fishing again.

(Note: All of this is simply what I have and a little bit of my thinking as to why I have it. I'm not an expert precision rifleman nor an expert reloader. I am mostly self taught with the exception of having worked with a few top notch shooters who were willing to run me through their courses. This is also not intended to be a sales pitch for anything. I don't really care what anyone uses, so long as they are good at using it, and it meets their needs.)

A couple weeks ago, much to the chagrin of my wife, I bought a new rifle. I admit, this gun purchase was not a need, but its not something I did on a whim. I already have a 7RM, but its heavier than I care to lug around (13.5lbs fully equipped.) I decided to go with the Bergara B14 Hunter in 7RM because I already have all the reloading components for it, and it's the only factory rifle I know of that comes with a 1:9 twist that's less than $1k. Other pluses, it has a 3.65" mag box (should be long enough for any bullet) and it's a rem700 blueprint, so I have a lot of options for upgrades of I want.

I'm going to see how it likes 180vlds, 175sgk's, 175 & 160 partitions, 160 accubonds, and maybe 120 ballistic tips loaded down for my wife to use. As I always do, I let the rifle make the final decisions. Whichever loads shoot best are the ones I'll go with, but I gotta make some moose medicine, so I'm hoping the 175 game kings or partitions work well.

d1d49f7741065a5a038848cbfc61a5dd.jpg

It's 9.5lbs loaded, which is what I was aiming for. I could easily shave 1/2lb with a lighter scope, but the Burris veracity has been good to me. I'm also familiar with the reticle and don't want to learn a different one.

After barrel break in was done. I shot 3 of my other 7RMs favorite load. This was 168 Berger classic hunters in front of 7977. It seems like this combination was specifically intended for the 7RM. This will give me a good starting point.

6506f89c50e75014ff839b50892a3d46.jpg

I loaded a new lot of powder and bullets for my 308, so I sent a few rounds to make sure nothing had changed. Other than forgetting where my elevation turret was, it's still shooting pretty well. Great for a $400 rifle! If anyone is looking for a super cheap rifle that shoots great, I recommend looking into the savage 12fv that Cabela's is giving away. Get rid of the crappy stock and you'll have a great shooting gun. I got mine on sale and received a $100 rebate. All in with scope, stock, and accessories it's around $800. No, it's not on the same level as a custom rifle, but it's about as Average Joe as you can get. It's going to be my deer rifle this year, but only because it's been sitting in the safe crying to get out and play.

ef8f27486329df35d06c64dbbac8baa4.jpg

---break---

I took my daughter fishing today. If you think fishing is a good way to practice patience, you need to try taking a 3 year old fishing. I don't know how my dad did it without losing his mind, or at least not letting me know he was losing his mind. If her line was in the water for longer than 10 seconds without getting a hit she lost interest and asked, "why are there no fish here?" "When are we going home?" "Why do fish take so long?" Why why why why why... Such is life at this stage I guess.

Anyway... We found a small school of young smallmouth hiding out in the shade. It was hilarious to watch as my daughter had at least a dozen of them on the hook without being able to land one. Of course as soon as she cried and quit, she handed me her tiny fishing pole I got a good hook set and was able to land it with her help. At least for a moment, my daughter's tears were wiped away with excitement.

a27a58c76c071ccfe6d44e7c18308935.jpg

The challenge of hunting is nothing compared to the challenge of raising a family. But with most things, the greater the challenge the greater the reward.

be8231af295471fa86e487a7ba4bc57c.jpg

(I also got a load lifter kit for my crew cab. Hopefully this helps reduce the pain I've been having that's associated with a few of the jump injuries I've had. Pain is no fun.)

I missed home a little, so I busted out the shore lunch and some Lake Michigan walleye. I added some shiner, and fried it up in bacon grease. It was amazing. I'll be going back home to WI in July and I have at least one fishing trip lined up.

7167f0156a5c1eac1c03c4995e26c6fe.jpg

Father's day weekend is the books, now it's back to the grind at the office. Hunting season is just around the corner.

You guys ever want to try a hunt in Northern NY look me up, I'm a US veteran and spent 4 years in the USAF.

Thank you, Crossbowguy!
I've driven through Northern NY and it looks like beautiful country.
I bet you have some great whitetail and turkey hunting up there. Appreciate the offer! The same is extended to you.
If you ever want to dry a different part of the states, let me know!

What did you do while you were in the Air Force?

Thank you, Crossbowguy!
I've driven through Northern NY and it looks like beautiful country.
I bet you have some great whitetail and turkey hunting up there. Appreciate the offer! The same is extended to you.
If you ever want to dry a different part of the states, let me know!

What did you do while you were in the Air Force?

Security Police/ Security Forces. We do have some great whitetail, bear and turkey hunting. along with awesome fishing and waterfowl hunting too. I tried to get stationed in the rockies when I was in the service and they sent me to Panama, so I got to play in the jungle and do some peacock bass fishing. I've always heard stories from friends of the elk and mule deer out west and have always wanted to try it. Now I just need to do it before I'm too old!

Security Police/ Security Forces. We do have some great whitetail, bear and turkey hunting. along with awesome fishing and waterfowl hunting too. I tried to get stationed in the rockies when I was in the service and they sent me to Panama, so I got to play in the jungle and do some peacock bass fishing. I've always heard stories from friends of the elk and mule deer out west and have always wanted to try it. Now I just need to do it before I'm too old!

Thank you for the offer to come to NY and do some hunting. One of my goals in life is to kill a deer in every state. NY and all of the northeastern states are still on the list. I'll make it to your neck of the woods one of these years.

Hunt Talk is definitely the right place to learn about how to get out west and do your first hunt. If you ever plan on coming out here, let me know, and I can help point you in the right direction. The best advice I ever got was very simple, "just do it." Understand that it might not (likely won't) go smooth. But you'll learn from the experience, and come back better next time. If its a one time thing, the focus on enjoying the experience. Even without killing an animal, being in the mountains for a few days is rewarding enough.

I have flew over the rockies, I just want to be in the rockies and experience all the sounds that come with that area. Hearing a bull bugle, seeing the mountains for the first time, hearing the wind blowing through the aspen, trying not to break twigs in the dark timber. You are definitely right I just need to go do it!!!!

Lefty.jpg

One like this will be waiting for you when you do come to NY
Thank you for the offer to come to NY and do some hunting. One of my goals in life is to kill a deer in every state. NY and all of the northeastern states are still on the list. I'll make it to your neck of the woods one of these years.

Hunt Talk is definitely the right place to learn about how to get out west and do your first hunt. If you ever plan on coming out here, let me know, and I can help point you in the right direction. The best advice I ever got was very simple, "just do it." Understand that it might not (likely won't) go smooth. But you'll learn from the experience, and come back better next time. If its a one time thing, the focus on enjoying the experience. Even without killing an animal, being in the mountains for a few days is rewarding enough.

View attachment 71723

One like this will be waiting for you when you do come to NY

That is a might fine buck!!!! I hope you get a crack at him this year!

I wasn't aware you guys can hunt bear too, that is awesome!
Upstate NY seems like another great sportsman's paradise. After driving through it and seeing how beautiful it was, I could definitely see myself staying in an area like that. I grew up in MA and often travelled up to Maine to do my hunting. I wish I would have explored more out your way.

I'll piggy bag what CJ said, but hunting the mountains is life changing. Chasing elk while they are screaming their heads off is what I dream about at night.
I really hope you are able to get out and at least experience it at least once.

I have flew over the rockies, I just want to be in the rockies and experience all the sounds that come with that area. Hearing a bull bugle, seeing the mountains for the first time, hearing the wind blowing through the aspen, trying not to break twigs in the dark timber. You are definitely right I just need to go do it!!!!

Yes you do!!!!

This year just keeps getting more action packed.....

I drew a rifle quota tag for here in Florida!

Attachments

• IMG_1748.PNG
    IMG_1748.PNG
    148.7 KB · Views: 229
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back