PEAX Equipment

Average Joe Hunting Adventures with Dan and CJ

77becea79c68e150731c44f5714282dc.jpg

This morning was slow and very warm.
Sat a very active water spot that has some resident does.

ca5ccdf8139f8f3dbe4aaaba9c0ed840.png

I'm just pumped the season is open so I can start hunting deer! It's nice knowing I have 5 months of deer hunting left and 3 states to do it in.

Down tucked in next to a creek.
I've got food above me and safety below me... it's a good travel point that will pay off during the rut, but with it being opening day weekend and tons of people running around, I figured it would be nice to get off the grid.

65b4abe6c96c6554e5198356e6219b47.jpg

2baa8adeeef6263a0c9995b28154c57e.jpg

6df3a8d9de1b433157387b4fbfd9fc18.jpg

9fa93c3df4bb40bd4f9036cfca40bc26.jpg

It's hot and humid, but a storm front is pushing in and I hope it gets deer on their feet.

Got the itch to try the wood bow tonight. I'm going solo tonight and sitting in a thick spot where I think I'll have a good chance at a close shot. I should have a decent chance at anything inside 20yds.

984b3468202218889e1c17a3f3543377.jpg

Even if I don't kill one, I should get some decent pictures at least.

Well.... it's tough to get good pictures of animals when you don't see any animals. I had a yearling doe and spike walk past at 10yds at last legal light but the video is basically black. It was a slow and quiet afternoon. It was relatively warm, and there was almost no wind. I'm going to try a different spot tonight. Hopefully something a little older steps out a little earlier.

9c452db851f20d47df3ebe029cf4c00a.png

It's very unfortunate, but Kentucky has been getting hammered by EHD this year.

I'm leaving in 10 days for Kentucky and the county I'm hunting has 204 REPORTED cases.
Locals are saying numbers are incredibly low and harvest rates are down by about 66%.

No worries though, I'll hunt hard and smart, I'm not leaving without some whitetail.

I just may be very strict on what I shoot out there now. I'll check cameras when I get there and gauge the local population. I may be passing on does and just holding out for a mature buck.

I had a last minute change of plans after my daughter said she wanted to stay home. I decided to head out to the desert and see what I could see.

37cf2ebed62ce07754451255619d26f0.jpg

More to follow.

It's been a little slow here in Northern NY but should pick up very soon. Sat last night on a great wind for my shooting house and saw 0 deer. I did put up about 500 geese out of my cut corn field going to my stand so that might of had something to do with it. My son broke his arm last week so my wife is running him for one of his follow up ortho appointments and I have to pick my daughter up from practice tonight so wont be on the stand tonight. Still getting great bucks on camera so it's only a matter of time.

That was a great muley buck!!! Good luck with the deer in Florida, and hope to see some more good luck from you two very soon!!!!

After spending almost 4 years living on the wide open and depressingly flat Llano Estacado of Eastern New Mexico and West Texas, I have developed a strange fascination with hunting in this difficult terrain. So when I moved to Idaho last fall the first place I went out and wandered around was the desert... And boy was I surprised with what I found. But I was even more excited with what I didn't find, people.

9b3d3da9ed39b53cfe59e319ef028d81.jpg

Now I'm well aware of the fact the desert doesn't have nearly as many animals or the quality of animals other areas hold, but the thing I like the most is the lack of competition from other hunters. Also, having grown up on a small farm in Wisconsin, being able to walk as far as I can see is another aspect of the desert I've grown to love.

--------

Back in January when I first started exploring this wide open playground from behind a coyote gun, I found several large groups of deer and I decided to go back every once in a while to keep tabs on them. I assumed most of the deer would leave and find greener pastures, which they did, but a few deer stuck around all summer. Even though I never really sat down and looked at the deer close enough to determine any antler size, I knew there HAD to be a nice buck there, based on the sheer number of deer in these couple spots.

While I was out on a random hike/workout/shed hunt/coyote hunt/nature hike in late July, I spotted a decent sized buck with a good amount of antler growth. I couldn't tell how big it was or really any specifics, nor did I care much, but he was a good buck and all the confirmation I needed to get back out there.

My original plan for last night was to take my daughter to the same place we'd been twice before, but she insisted she didn't want to go. Half heartbroken, half curious, I texted Dan to let him know I was headed to the desert.

0c0c6ae9b0bad1f057c608671df24780.jpg

I was going to one of the spots I'd always seen deer and was going to cover some ground and do some glassing. After only 5 minutes of glassing I spotted several deer over a mile away. I had absolutely no clue what they were and didn't have time to pull the spotting scope out before they dropped into a small coulee. So I did what I do best, I walked over there and took a closer look

40281d4760cc79ea36ad3d6efeecc538.jpg

Does... I found lots of does, and I had to stare directly into the sun to see them. I wasn't in a position to move at all until the sun dropped below the horizon. So I just sat and kept an eye out... And maybe burned a little bit of retina in the process. I ended up seeing around 18 deer, but I couldn't tell if any of them were bucks. Therefore, I'll say there weren't any deer worth keeping my interest.

As soon as the sun went down enough to put me in the shade I stood up to get a better vantage point. WAY off to my right, in the middle of a wide open grassy area, I saw 5 dark spots moving around. As quickly as I could, I moved my spotter over to get a better look.

257d725044d7d8b22d60ec91869c6d9e.jpg

It took all of half a millisecond for me to decide I was going after him, and I was going to kill him.

With the sun at or below the horizon, I scanned the open prairie with my binos to see if the stalk was even feasible... It wasn't. Before me laid about two thousand yards of flat wide open grass. There was no way I could crawl up to them with the amount of daylight I had... So I chose to run.

I walked down to a fence line and dropped my pack and spotter near a corner post next to a pile of rocks so I could easily find it again. I ranged the buck at 1800 yards, evaluated the terrain again, and came to the same conclusion... There wasn't enough time. I had to run.

So I did just that. I ran.

To my surprise the deer didn't pay me much bother. They kept their heads down, for the most part, and fed on the grass. Every few hundred yards closer I got the deer would casually look up at me. It seemed like they were confused. They didn't seem to get worried until I broke the 600 yard mark, but instead of running away, they all just turned and looked at me.

I slowed to a walk when I got to 500 yards, and was able to close the distance to 360 yards. I could tell the deer weren't comfortable with the strange, tan object that stopped and sat down, and they started moving away. There next time they stopped the buck was at 430 yards and I let the trusty weatherby bark.

The buck stumbled and looked weak in the legs, but I racked another round and sent it. Both bullets found their mark and the buck was down.

With the light quickly fading, I ran straight to the buck. I've lost a few things in the desert after the sun went down, and I didn't want to lose this deer in the vast sea of grass he was laying in.

c27e525491beda5c6866ad658e6540c5.jpg

c73f56fcb1b87e4f682c02e217db66f5.jpg

I propped my rifle up with the buck's antlers because I knew I had to get to my pack and back to the deer before sunset or it might all be gone. So I ran... to my pack and back. The light had faded, but I managed to find my rifle standing tall above the grass. Below it lied a tall tined buck, and I couldn't have been more happy.

df117f43137e0e9014b8d2f56aa78a25.jpg

d1349d22c8bbf17ca913ed9a6529e4f0.jpg

a40013f0ccc4a640eaf6de828861c05c.jpg

As we all know, when the animal is down, the work begins. I kind of lost track of time, and didn't realize how far I'd walked. So when I looked at the gas, I was surprised to find I was just under 3 miles from the truck, but only 3/4 of a mile from the nearest road, but that route took me further away from the truck. It was 730pm, I had a dead buck I needed to pack 3/4 of a mile, 3.5 miles of road to walk back to the truck, then a 90 minute drive back home. Good thing I needed to be to work early the next morning. ;)

I packed all 4 quarters, head, and cape to the road, and made it home before midnight.

This Kifaru got a heck of a workout over the last 2 months.

ea78260fe660a15aa87e508618adab52.jpg

------

And just like that I'd filled the last of my 4 tags on my 2017 Idaho to-do list. What an amazing season it was. When I chose to move here, I never imagined I'd have a season like this. It's been incredible, and I'm extremely grateful.

1a23e12eb3d43a43e6d442fee663e4ae.jpg

A story well worth waiting for! Congrats on an awesome buck!!!!

Thank you. I'm honestly a little sad I only have one more hunt left this year. I kinda want to drag it out as long as possible, but it's my wife's tag and she'll make the call. I won't be upset if it takes longer than a day or two to find a deer she wants to shoot.

Talk about a dream season, way to go sir! Most impressive for certain and thanks for taking us along for the ride.

fb23ca92c035004d5be731fa47e92675.jpg

Last night was uneventful. It was thick and I'm pretty sure there were deer around me, but nothing walked into a shooting lane.

I'm heading out tomorrow morning. There's a storm due in the morning, so I want to be in a tree as SOON as it breaks.

Last year my target buck was at my stand 20 minutes after a storm broke and I wanted to hunt that day....

faeaea5686cfa4d1851a201d58b2d02a.png

d1457a4755716394f956b6ea6a370719.png

I just can't wait to be in a tree!

It's been a little slow here in Northern NY but should pick up very soon. Sat last night on a great wind for my shooting house and saw 0 deer. I did put up about 500 geese out of my cut corn field going to my stand so that might of had something to do with it. My son broke his arm last week so my wife is running him for one of his follow up ortho appointments and I have to pick my daughter up from practice tonight so wont be on the stand tonight. Still getting great bucks on camera so it's only a matter of time.

That was a great muley buck!!! Good luck with the deer in Florida, and hope to see some more good luck from you two very soon!!!!

Good luck!!!!
My season is about to pick back up.... almost all of November I'll be hunting four different states!

Talk about a dream season, way to go sir! Most impressive for certain and thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Thanks Bwana. This season's been far more than I imagined it would be, and I'm glad I was able to share it with you. Even though I filled all of my big game tags I'm not finished hitting the hills. My wife's deer tag starts next Wednesday and goes to the 24th, and I've been invited to go duck hunting with a coworker. I'm also trying to convince a few buddies to come out and hunt a few late season tags here, but we'll see. And I'll be honest.... I'd rather spend my weekend out in the desert or the mountains than anywhere else, so I'll keep sharing what I see out there.

First Florida deer of the season!

Got into my stand at 12:30 and shot her at 1:59.

She's already gutted, hanging, and I'm back up in my tree for another!

127a03906de03832875ab9fd36f550cf.jpg

I'll get her weighed and roughly aged by the biologist when I check out. The crazy thing is I believe this is a mature Florida doe.

Nothing like the does I'm use to!

It'll be very yummy though! Mmmhmmm backstraps!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back