Caribou Gear

Average Joe Hunting Adventures with Dan and CJ

Awesome Bull and you should be very proud that all your hard work of scouting paid off!!!! Can't wait to see your next adventure where ever it may be!!!!

Congrats man... Anything from Dan? I left up there yesterday and got back to Arkansas around 3am. I got this nice 6x5. IMG_1818.jpgIMG_1818.jpg

Thank you to everyone for the congratulations. Every elk I've killed has been an amazing experience, and I couldn't be more happy with all of them. This one will always hold a special place in my memories simply because of how much doubt I felt about the hunt going into the season. I honestly did not have high hopes of harvesting an elk my first year in ID, let alone such a nice bull. It was a huge confidence boost to be able to scout an entirely new area, find elk, and then kill one.

As I said before, I'll do my best to continue to have success, but even if I don't kill anything I'll make sure to tell the story to the best of my abilities.

I also forgot to give a Photo credit to the random guys I met while I was coming off the mountain with my last load. So I say THANK YOU for getting an epic shot of the mountains and me. I'm going to look back on that pic forever and remember not only the hunt, but also the friendly and encouraging encounter we had. There's nothing quite like meeting a complete stranger, in the middle of the mountains, and receiving a solid high-five and a handshake. I hope you guys got into some elk back there, and maybe our paths will cross again.

-------------------------------

Dan's been at it hard in NM. He hasn't killed a bull yet, and at times he's seemed a little frustrated. He's just getting more content for a better story ;) I like to get in and get out as quickly as possible. Dan's taking a different approach, but I'll let him tell his story when he gets back. It'll be a good one, and not lacking any drama.

Last edited:
I'm still up in the mountain trying to help two guys shoot elk.
Then I'm off to Oklahoma for a doe antelope hunt and then I'll be home for plenty of stories!!!
I won't be as mean as CJ with his teaser, but here is a teaser......

IMG_2255.jpg

I got a message from Dan earlier today. I guess you could say he's having a good time.... and he needs to text me MORE!!! I can't handle it. LOL.

Tomorrow is the opener for my antelope hunt. I drove down today with my daughter to see if anyone else was camping/setup on the area I am going tomorrow. While down there I ran into a very nice gentleman with his grandson who will be hunting nearby, but not where I'm going to be. He said I was the first person he saw back there, but I guess we'll find out tomorrow for sure. I also saw 4 pronghorn does and 2 nice bucks.

Fingers crossed I can find them in the morning and get close.

Howdy all!

I am finally leaving the mountains today. Like CJ, I also have an antelope tag to fill.
I'm currently driving 7 hours east in hopes to fill my Oklahoma antelope doe tag.

I do apologize for the delay on the elk trip details, but I promise you it'll be worth it.
I've got plenty of pictures, videos, and stories :)

IMG_2312.jpg

All packed up!

I can give you a little trip teaser. The camp went 2 of 3 tags filled so far and I know the last guy will fill his tag today or tomorrow. It was such an amazing trip.
IMG_2280.jpg

Again I apologize for the delay, but I promise you won't be disappointed.
Good luck on your antelope hunt, CJ... let's punch another tag.

You guys are making this look easy! Nice bulls!

I'm having trouble keeping your hunts straight, we're these last 2 bulls from NM?

LCH, the picture of the two bulls above are both from New Mexico.
It was three guys in my camp (myself and two Iowa residents) and so far we have two of the three tags punched.

I had to leave today because I have an Oklahoma antelope doe hunt that starts tomorrow.
I'll be home hopefully in a few days and I'll be able to get everything caught up story wise!

No luck on the antelope hunt.

Maybe next time I'll try working smarter and less harder. I got within 150yds 10 times, within 100 four times, and zero shots were fired. I walked 20 miles and ran out of water 7 miles from the truck. I'm guessing I crawled around a 1/2 mile.

81c5ab4f42ab4f11ab717be8db9cb6e0.jpg

eaa99622c850b88196847a94bad7c014.jpg

Next time I'm going to a spot with a little more terrain and maybe vegetation. What this spot lacked in those 2 things, it made up for with antelope. I saw at least 40 different antelope, and one of them was a STUD. I'm not a well polished field judge of antelope, but he would have fit in really well with the larger bucks I was accustomed to seeing in NM.

897bc2f8fc5b67e6234c2b46c76d3105.jpg

It was a fun day until I ran out of water... Shoulda went back to the truck for lunch and topped everything off. I had so many close calls, and a few stalks that could have worked if I'd exercised a little more patience. It was a learning experience, that's for sure.

Sadly, I don't think I'll get much more time to get after them. I'm working all week then heading down to AZ to help one of my best friends kill his first elk, assuming he doesn't kill one on Friday while I'm at work.

Dan's currently chasing 'lopes in Oklahoma and he's armed with a rifle... I have I high hopes he'll put something on the ground soon

Last edited:
Back