Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Average Joe Hunting Adventures with Dan and CJ

I'm starting to get itchy and excited.....
I think some of you know the feeling, but the New Mexico draw results are in 15 days, and I am starting to lose sleep over it :D
I've got such a good feeling about a big year ahead of me and it all starts with this draw.
More to come.

I've also started packing for my Kentucky trip.
I head out Thursday at noon and will get into KY late that evening.
The plan is to wake up early Friday morning and I'll glass the area I want to hunt with my binos and DSLR.
After they disappear I'll be doing some scouting, shed hunting, and hang some cameras!
Then Saturday morning it's GO TIME!!!!

I cannot WAIT!!!!

Well guys..... my September just got a little more busy!
I'll be chasing elk in New Mexico!!!!

After you don't draw that moose tag, you can always make good use of your hunting license by getting up here for a late season cow tag.... Just sayin ;)

You really won't have to twist my arm for that!
Or to go chase mule deer!!!! :D

I've got an eleven hour drive ahead of me and I can't wait to get home to my girls!
I'll post stories later, but short version... tagged out in Kentucky!!!

I got out for a day hunt that basically turned into a hike/workout/exploration trip. One thing I'm learning about Idaho is that there is not shortage of critters and places to wander around looking for them. I walked 15 miles and got a healthy amount of elevation gain in.

1-_4152671.jpg

1-_4152672.jpg

1-_4152697.jpg

1-_4152704.jpg

1-_4152738.jpg

1-_4152809.jpg

My strategy for exploring the mountains is to start close and work my way further away home. I figure if I find critters close, why drive any further than I need to? One of these days, the nature walk will turn into a hunt. Its just a matter of time.

I had such an amazing time out in Kentucky this weekend. I truly love it out there and could definitely see myself picking up some property out there at some point. The people are nice, the terrain is beautiful, and there is no shortage of animals.

I left work Thursday around noon and drove straight out. It's a 12 hour drive (plus going Central time to Eastern time so I lost another hour). I stopped about 2 hours out and "slept" for about two hours in my truck. I met my buddy at around 5:45 and we went out to a farm he has hunted for years. I already had a place I wanted to hunt, but he told me it would be beneficial to go check this property out because it was always very active. Around 6:30 we were serenaded by at least 10 different birds in multiple hollows. I was so fired up!
I slept Friday night and woke up SUPER pumped Saturday morning at 4, drank my coffee, and we hiked out a mile to our spot.

We were walking in and birds were already talking. A bit surprising because it was so early, but I didn't care!
We set up and had 3 birds talking within 100 yards.
Around 6:45 we let out a few calls and the birds responded. SWEET! Time to be quiet and see what happens.
Then a hen started talking directly above us.... OOPS! Talk about interesting set up.
At 6:55 I saw a bird fly down behind us and walked into the timber... DARN.
Then I heard the other two drop down and they walked up to the field edge we were on.
They saw our decoys and made their way over to us.
I had a jake over a hen in a breeding position and for some reason the birds didn't bite.
They stayed out at 48 yards and wouldn't commit.
I gave them a little bit longer, they got to 45 yards, and my buddy said "take the second bird"..... BOOM.
7AM opening morning in KY and the bird was down!

23.5lbs, 9" beard, and 7/8" & 1" spurs!
I was so happy!!!

We cleaned the bird, went to my buddies daughter's soccer game, I got a nap, and then I decided to go scout the property I originally went up to hunt.
I got out there and found birds right where I figured they would be.
Kentucky only allows you to kill one a day so it drove me nuts to watch a strutter put on a show for his hen for three hours!
I wanted to see where they were going to roost.

It's a good thing I didn't leave because in the last hour.... two more hens and two more gobblers showed up!!!

I could only see at the end of the power lines, but the birds moved out of site right at last light and I figured I had an idea of where they were going to roost!

Saturday night was tough to sleep because I was so fricken pumped up!
4 AM came around, grabbed my coffee, and went out extra early.

I didn't exactly know where the birds were and the moon was out pretty bright, so I had to get a little silly.
I was afraid they would see me coming in and setting up, so about 150 yards out I set up my pop up blind, got inside with my gear, lifted it, and moved in closer....
In my mind I was ok with looking like a cow verse something unknown.
I got about 50 yards to the timber line, set up my jake, and then backed up 10 yards.

Around 6:30 the birds started firing off. They were further down than I had hoped, but they were still close enough.
At around 7 I saw birds coming into the field..... they were about 100 yards off.
I started calling, they would respond, but just hung out. Then the hens showed up.... DOH!
I started calling and a hen started responding. I decided to start mimicking her and you know what? It worked!
She started coming in close to me with the gobblers in tow.
If she talked, I did the same thing louder. Then as she got closer I started cutting her off.
They came in to about 70 yards, but then they stopped.
I'm not sure if it's because I didn't have a hen decoy out or something, but they turned a different direction and went out into a corn field.
I was in a small little bowl so every now and then I could see them up higher in the field.

After about an hour of waiting I decided I needed to make a plan. It was Easter, I had a 12 hour drive ahead of me, and I missed my girls.....
So I told myself that I can either try for these birds and shoot one or try for these birds and spook them....
Regardless I'd be trying and then could get home!

In my pack I had what I called my "stealth kit" Shorts and a ghille suit.
I stripped down and put on the shorts and upper part of the suit, plus a facemask and gloves.
There was nice slope that I could use to my advantage to crawl up to the birds, then some brush and a telephone pole that I could use to pop up and get a look.
I crawled about 75 yards, popped up, and saw them well within range.

I popped the safety off, stood up, and shot the closest strutter. He was turned with his back to me and didn't fair so well to the 20 yard shot.....
WOOOHOOOOO!!!!!

I live for this kind of stuff. I was able to crawl up and shoot a VERY nice bird. :D

25lbs, 10" beard (two toned beard), and 1 1/4" spurs!

What an amazing experience! I love love love turkey hunting and I had such a great time.
I cleaned up the bird and blitzed home to my two beautiful girls.
I'm so lucky to have such an understanding wife who lets me continue to do my passion!

Thanks for sharing such great stories about what is obviously a passion and keep them coming.

And more importantly, thanks for your service.

Thanks for sharing such great stories about what is obviously a passion and keep them coming.

And more importantly, thanks for your service.

Thank you for your support, Bwana.
We will certainly keep the stories coming.

CJ will be holding the fort down for a while.
I'm happy I got those turkey hunts in because I left the country not too long after.
I'll be gone for a little while, but no worries.
When I get back I hit the ground running! New Mexico OTC Barbary sheep, shed hunting, elk scouting, and plenty of fishing!!!!

Now I'll just be over here working, working out, and waiting on more draws!

CJ,

Good luck bear hunting, turkey hunting, and shed hunting.
I'll be living vicarioisly through you for a little bit ;)

I'm training for a 50 mile ruck race in mid July, so I'm making sure to get out at least once a week and ruck hard. Fortunately shed hunting and wandering around aimlessly are very similar. I learned my lesson from a few weeks ago, and brought my camera and rifle this time.

You know you're in deep when you find sheds like this.

About 200yds after picking up the bigger shed, I walked up on a coyote den. There were at least 6 dogs on it, and I figured they would take off and run away. So instead of getting the rifle out of my pack, I snapped a few pics. Once I realized they weren't in a hurry to get out of there, I took my pack off and grabbed the rifle. I missed on my first shot at about 200yds, but then this female popped out of the ground and I was able to stop her at 100yds. The .257wby with 100gr TTSX's had no problem putting her down. There's no such thing as a coyote that's too dead.

My favorite part about the desert is that it doesn't get nearly the amount of traffic the mountains get. I have been to this area several times and have only bumped into 1 rancher, who I pulled out of the ditch. My time in eastern NM has given me a deep appreciation for wide open places, and I've learned that there's a lot more animals out there if you take the time to look for them.

I'm pretty sure the animals in this corner of the world don't see too many people. They just stood and watched me as I walked by.

The day wouldn't be complete without finding a birthday balloon in the middle of nowhere. (STOP BUYING THESE!!!)

It was a pretty good day. I covered 14.5 miles in 7hrs. Next time I'll need to leave the binos in the truck if I want to start covering ground faster.

Thank you for your support, Bwana.
We will certainly keep the stories coming.

CJ will be holding the fort down for a while.
I'm happy I got those turkey hunts in because I left the country not too long after.
I'll be gone for a little while, but no worries.
When I get back I hit the ground running! New Mexico OTC Barbary sheep, shed hunting, elk scouting, and plenty of fishing!!!!

Now I'll just be over here working, working out, and waiting on more draws!

CJ,

Good luck bear hunting, turkey hunting, and shed hunting.
I'll be living vicarioisly through you for a little bit ;)

Stay safe and thank you both for your service.

You know this "overseas trip" is actually kind of useful.
Its been over 100 degrees every day and I've been putting in some serious running/hiking time.

It's the perfect training for when I head out to NM in July to chase OTC barbary sheep!

:D
Rumor has it I'll be getting back right when the red snapper season kicks off in Florida, so I am pretty excited to get back for that too!

I also forgot to mention that I picked up my Montana super tags today :D
Who knows, maybe one year in my life I will draw one of these things!

I've got them for Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming now!!!!

Over the last week and a half I've put on over 150 miles and only have 2 sheds from yesterday to show for it. Although, admittedly, I'm not really looking for sheds or in a good area to find them. The goal is to put miles on the boots and get into shape. I'm also trying to do my best taking pictures of all of the cool stuff I see. I figure eventually I'll learn how to take good ones.

My dog ~ "I'm not much of a shed hunter, but when I do, I find all of the chalks..."
1-_5063175_zps4akx9jvc.jpg

"And giant sheds..."
1-_5063179_zpsfbxixst2.jpg

1-_5063268_zpsi66fyahn.jpg

1-_5063216_zpsyeaqn0jb.jpg

1-_4223066_zpsktqofxme.jpg

1-_5063163_zpsevgndnrt.jpg

Hopefully, this week I will have the 4wd fixed on my truck so I can confidently head up to the mountains to get after some bear. If all goes well with the truck, I'll do a weekend solo trip either this upcoming weekend or next.

I got a package full of memories today.

74bd40e79d1943528559f7aac79bd4d5.jpg

I can't think of two better images to remind me of my time in NM... Barb are rugged critters, and every hunt I went after them was an adventure. And in my opinion there's no better symbol of the Llano Estacado than a male and female pair of coyotes. I spent many late nights at work listening to the serenade of countless yotes in the desert.

You probably don't hear it often, but I sure miss living in that flat barren wasteland.

Back