Average Joe Hunting Adventures with Dan and CJ

Just throwing this out there... I make homemade custom knives with those shed antlers if it's something your interested in? PM me and I can send you pics.

Tonight after work, I'm going to continue fulfilling my childhood dreams by blitzing down to northern AZ to help one of my best friends with his elk hunt (this is if he doesn't kill an elk before I get there...) I've never wished for someone to not have success, but..... it would be fine with me if he didn't kill an elk today :rolleyes:

I'll be down there until Thursday at the latest, then I'll putting in a few more miles trying to fill my antelope tag. I have a vendetta out for one of those buggers.

I'm down in AZ continuing to live out my dream, and helping one of my best friends kill his first elk. My cell service is not nearly as good as I had originally thought it would be so live updates are tougher than I hoped, but I'm sitting in a decent spot right now so I figured I'd pass along an update.

800e607a79182c686418bd2737818cc7.jpg

The rut activity has been..... slow. There's been very little bugling, and the elk seem to be spread pretty thin. We didn't see any elk yesterday, and I didn't even hear a bugle. Which, to my disappointed, was the first day I've spent hunting elk and not seen an elk. Oh well I guess. I know we're in a good spot, we just weren't in THE spot yesterday.

This morning started off a little rough. I woke up to my alarm and heard coyotes singing back and forth to each other, and they serenaded me right back to sleep... I woke up about 40 minutes later to be my buddy giving me crap about sleeping in. No worries though, I had all my stuff ready the night before, so I threw on my clothes and boots and was tripping over myself in just a few minutes and was going.

When we got to where my buddy had heard some bugles the night before, I realized k I forgot my bugle tube back at camp.... So we took full advantage of our RZR's awesome suspension system and power, but we were back to the spot just as light was breaking through.

We walked a little ways and we heard a bugle, and I responded. There were bugles in 3 directions and we picked the direction that had the biggest terrain feature. It sounded like the bugle was a long ways off, so we beat feet quick. Not more than 300yds into the walk my buddy had to perform and emergency bowel evacuation, and while he was taking care of it the bull bugled twice more; still very far off. So responded with a bugle, which was quickly answered by the bull. I moved to a spot that gave me a good view of the hillside and meadow the sounds were coming from. It was still fairly dark at this time, but I could vaguely see the outlines of a handful of elk about 1000yds away. I quickly figured out which one was the bull because he was considerably larger than the rest of the animals. I couldn't quite make out his antlers yet, but I could see he had a HUGE frame.

By the time my buddy was done, we could see that the bull was a mature bull with wide and tall antlers, and more importantly it was in a very stalk-able spot. So we started our flanking maneuver to try and cut them off.

We got to where we wanted to be and setup to call. I let out a few cow calls and raked a tree. Seconds later the bull responded, and I cut him off with a bugle. To which he responded. Awesome! We thought. A couple seconds later he was a few hundred yards closer and bugled at us again from the top of the ridge. It couldn't have been working out any better. I called a little, he'd call back. That went on for a minute or so when we heard a few cow calls near the bull. He went quiet then bugled at us from the other side of the ridge.... His cows pulled him away from us and we had no chance of keeping up. We followed the heard for a few hundred yards before we backed off. It was too thick and too flat to see much of anything, and we didn't get the sense the animals were spooked.

And that brings me to where I am right now. My buddy is sitting a waterhole nearby, and I'm up above where we last saw the bull. I heard him bugle twice so far and I think it's just a matter of time before he steps out.

138c15a2f4f79006cbe1ec1a310c34cc.jpg

Wish us luck, and happy new moon. Hopefully they're rutting like crazy tomorrow.

Those look great, Crossbowguy!
What kind of steel do you use?

I'm still kind of bitter because a guy in Missouri (knife maker) burned me real good.
I sent him 2 large elk antlers and some cash. He was going to make me a knife.... I got... Nada :(

IMG_2392.jpg
IMG_1557.jpg
IMG_2393.jpg
IMG_2394.jpg

These are some of my currents ones!

I use old stainless steal saw blades for the blade material. I use copper for the finger guards and pins.

That sucks about someone taking advantage of you like that!!!! Makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with people! Just for that I will make you one for nothing!!!! You just tell me what you want for blade design handle and length and I will do the rest....

Those look great, Crossbowguy!
What kind of steel do you use?

I'm still kind of bitter because a guy in Missouri (knife maker) burned me real good.
I sent him 2 large elk antlers and some cash. He was going to make me a knife.... I got... Nada :(

View attachment 74062
View attachment 74063
View attachment 74064
View attachment 74065

These are some of my currents ones!

I use old stainless steal saw blades for the blade material. I use copper for the finger guards and pins.

That sucks about someone taking advantage of you like that!!!! Makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with people! Just for that I will make you one for nothing!!!! You just tell me what you want for blade design handle and length and I will do the rest....

I'll gladly pay you for it or supply you with some antlers to make more knives with. What do you charge for your set ups?
I saved all the messages where the guy was screwing me around and coming up with excuses. I figured I could post them on his Facebook group to try to get something done, but I'm not going to. It almost seems like to much wasted energy to do something like that and I don't like being negative. So I chalked it up to a loss and am just moving forward!

Things have still been pretty slow here in AZ. Yesterday morning the winds were calm, light and variable. We had a few bulls bugling, and we had to take a very cautious approach. As it happens far too often, the wind tickled the backs of our necks when the elk were about to come into range, and elk shut up and left.

We brushed in a few blinds midday and my buddy had 6 cows and 2 small bulls come into the water. They never even looked at the blind once.

bbe77d9ac13b2c04ad9feb96030504d4.jpg

While they were sitting water, I went into recon mode and covered some ground in a different area.... So of course I had a great encounter with a good bull. I heard some bugles around 5pm and the winds were perfect to move in and see what was up. The bugles were pretty far, but I could hear cow calls and animals moving all over the hillside. 300yds off the road I caught a nose full of bull stink so I stopped and watched for a second. Then without warning, the biggest bull I've ever been close to stepped out at 40yds.... And I had my hands in my pockets. I froze in awe of how beautiful he was. He was a fully mature 6x6 with long sweeping beams and good tine length. He was easily a shooter. I didn't move because I was afraid of spooking him, and I figured I'd be able to get close again for a pic.

I wasn't able to get any pics of him, but I did get a little bit of video of him bugling at me from behind some thick juniper. I'm heading back to that spot to see if I can reconnect with him and hopefully get a few pictures this time. I'll be ready.

The weather is supposed to get a little better for hunting over the next couple days. The theme for the hunt so far is "it's still early... It'll get better."

Love your guys shotgun approach to posting.

On your first post I thought you guys were posting your joint hunts.

So much more entertaining, that one post his hunts and the fella is next in line.

Enjoy the hell out of it!

Love your guys shotgun approach to posting.

On your first post I thought you guys were posting your joint hunts.

So much more entertaining, that one post his hunts and the fella is next in line.

Enjoy the hell out of it!

Really glad you are enjoying it bobbydean and thank you again for following along!
So far it's been rolling pretty smooth as far as hunts, but it'll get REALLY fun and exciting here soon.
There will be a lot of hunts going on October and November, some which you'll be getting two separate updates at the same time!

Nothing like organized chaos :D

I leave Florida again October 5th to blitz out to New Mexico for a REALLY nice antelope hunt. Then depending on how that goes, I'll be stopping in Oklahoma on the way home to chase more antelope or whitetail, I haven't decided yet. I also have my first Kentucky whitetail of the year in October along with Florida whitetail opener! What a fun month October will be....
Still not as busy as November though ;)

I'm not sure what hunts CJ has going on in October and November, but I do know that he will be moose hunting Idaho while I'm antelope hunting New Mexico and that should be A LOT of fun!

Thanks again for everyone who is following along!

Last edited:
Last night, while scouting some new country, I had an experience I'll never forget.

d68605861676ac839e35bad82d50a51e.jpg

And my buddy had a heck of a night as well.

15326536a88b693cea5455f035e960fa.jpg

When I get a moment I'll write out the stories, and get them posted. It was a magical night.

Can't wait to hear the story, I'm sure it is a good one!!!! I'll be working on a custom little skinner this weekend, along with checking a couple trail cams.

So this is a little delayed, but pictures were finally posted.....
I went out to a 3D charity shoot for the EOD Warrior Foundation.
The course was a 20 target set up for 3D and then at the finish you shoot 15 arrows at a 5 spot target at the max range for your class (40 yards for bow hunter).

It was an absolute ball and I was paired up with some great people. I was able to beat my previous 20 target score and I ended up winning the bow hunter (known) class!

IMG_2412.jpg
IMG_2384.jpg
IMG_2414.jpg
IMG_2413.jpg

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed with the lack of rut activity we saw the first few days of the season. In my mind I'd conjured up an image of endless rut crazed bulls who couldn't resist screaming at each call we made. But that just simply wasn't the case the first couple days. We did hear a few bugles and had some responses to our calls, but it wasn't rut activity.

The game plan for each day was to chase bugles in the morning and my buddy, Ryan, would sit water with Steve, his long time family friend who was basically our guide and mentor. Steve has hunted this particular area for about as long as I've been walking. While they were sitting water, I would either glass or walk different country to find elk we would chase the next morning. On top of that, I really wanted to get some pics of the elk doing their thing.

Tuesday morning we started in an area we heard a few bulls bugle the night before, and sure enough they were right where we expected them to be. The problem, as it is in most cases, was the wind. Everyday prior to Tuesday morning the winds were steady and about 10-15mph, but on Tuesday it was dead calm with light and variable winds. As luck would have it, as soon as the first bull came into view the wind switched for a second or two, cc and the elk were gone. Oh well, at least we had them bugling for a little bit.

Tuesday night my assignment was too scout out the hunting pressure in a different part of the unit. I found a lot of hunters, but that helped me narrow down the pockets with less hunting pressure. At 5 o'clock I had just gotten back to the utv after checking a trail camera, when I heard several bugles through the wind.

So I snuck in to get a look and found myself in the middle of the rut. One cow was clearly in estrus and all of the bulls wanted to see if they had a chance at her. But this old crusty bull was having none of it. He never let out a full bugle, just a low, raspy grunt. It sounded more like a moose than an elk. It was extremely difficult to get any photos of the elk. I ended up getting more pics of trees than anything else.

901f409e3a9dabd7c7ed34e939d69e7b.jpg

a39f1b4bdcd69ba56611b59952a8bbe1.jpg

Nonetheless, sneaking in close and trying to get pictures was honestly just as exciting, if not more exciting than going in with a bow. My adrenaline was pumping! It was one of the coolest experiences I've had in the woods. I wasn't the only one that had the time of their life night.

58fe05ec9af3a08129af037ff31a0b32.jpg

I got back to camp well after dark and was surprised to see the other guys weren't back yet, but that's usually a good sign. So instead of starting dinner, I tidied up the camp a little bit. As the minutes ticked by, my anticipation grew more and more intense. This was the first time I'd beat them back to camp, and the wait was killing me.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back