Caribou Gear Tarp

Average Joe Hunting Adventures with Dan and CJ

You guy call yourselves average joes, but there is nothing average about your drive and desire in taking a nice animal on your trips! Every time I read one of your stories I try to picture myself doing that, and I know in my heart im too fat and out of shape to even think about it. The cool thing is I can see it through your eyes and experiences which in my case are the next best thing. Keep the stories coming guys!!!!

You guy call yourselves average joes, but there is nothing average about your drive and desire in taking a nice animal on your trips! Every time I read one of your stories I try to picture myself doing that, and I know in my heart im too fat and out of shape to even think about it. The cool thing is I can see it through your eyes and experiences which in my case are the next best thing. Keep the stories coming guys!!!!

Haha. Dan and I were talking on my way back from the moose hunt about the"average Joe" title and how the successes we've had this year aren't really 'average.' We chose to use that title because we feel like we're two normal dudes who have the same sort of obligations as the average working middle class dude.

Like you said, our passion and drive to hunt and be successful is far above 'average.' That high level of drive combined with a lot of mental toughness can help anyone achieve success. Fitness is part of the equation, but I firmly believe mental toughness is more important... It's THE MOST important aspect.

There is no break for this guy after the moose hunt. I still have a few days of leave, so I'm going to take advantage of them.

I promised my daughter that I'd take her deer hunting, so this morning I got her up and out of the house way before her normal wake up time.

I got to one of the spots I'd find last winter and scouted a little this summer just as the sun was rising. We ended up seeing 11 deer total; 10 does/fawns and 1 legal spike/fork. I chose to pass on the little fella since he was smaller than most of the does.

4e6abd861675f958b8f75aa9ee791610.jpg

bc48b25c3ff3da7c57b2cb7ff24f7d3c.jpg

145c6f547a3fe598f0425976544869e7.jpg

I was going to hunt hard for deer over the next few days, but then a light switched in my head... I need to get my antelope and moose down to the taxidermist in NM this week, so I figured I'd tag on a Barbary Sheep hunt while I'm down there.

The wife's Subaru is packed, and I'm on my way shortly. (My pack is still drying from washing the smell of death off of it. I didn't notice with it in the bed of my truck. ;) )

d57d96844276bf57737d41d870f4c635.jpg

Oh, and I also submitted an application for AZ javelina with my buddy Ryan. We're going to try to kill then with wood longbows his dad made. It's going to be a blast.

I bet you'd surprise yourself out west is you ever gave it a shot.
The sights and experiences are so amazing that they will push people to go harder than they imagined!
Even if you don't want to chase elk in the mountains, maybe consider an antelope hunting. Driving from NY out to WY would be breath taking! You would get to see lots of cool areas. Might be a good retirement gift to yourself ;)

How are your trail cameras doing? Are the big bucks still staying around?

Look what I found at the Taxidermist...

Somebody dropped off a messed up, old buck with ivory tips. Probably shoulda passed on him and shot a normal looking one. ;)

ff6f638b6c337d0c318fa20e42146fc0.jpg

e499873f494063d88d641c2cac260999.jpg

Now it's a few hours on the road and I'll be in Barbary Sheep country.

Look what I found at the Taxidermist...

Somebody dropped off a messed up, old buck with ivory tips. Probably shoulda passed on him and shot a normal looking one. ;)

ff6f638b6c337d0c318fa20e42146fc0.jpg

e499873f494063d88d641c2cac260999.jpg

Now it's a few hours on the road and I'll be in Barbary Sheep country.

It's crazy to think that what, 36 hours ago I was there?
In about 48 hours we've driven a combined 3+K miles!

Sweet picture!!! The cool thing is he will probably finish both of ours around the same time....
Guess we will need to meet there in exactly 1 year to pick up our heads and Barbary sheep hunt!!!

Deal. My wife might kill me if I have another taxidermy bill like this one though... Watch, she shoots a frickin giant muley and I have to make another trip. Fingers crossed... ;)

This time you'll need to be ready to shoot 600+ at a 30+ degree slope... Good luck practicing that in Florida

Still getting bucks on camera, haven't had my target buck on camera but that will all change during the rut, ill see bucks that I didn't know existed. The other night called a buck into 40 yards, released an arrow just to watch the luminock get half way to him deflect on a limb and sail just high over his back. The limb turned up missing the next day. I will be going out west long before my ten yrs to retirement, the passion to see the west is too strong. I get a minute and some WiFi I will post some pics from some of my stands.

I bet you'd surprise yourself out west is you ever gave it a shot.
The sights and experiences are so amazing that they will push people to go harder than they imagined!
Even if you don't want to chase elk in the mountains, maybe consider an antelope hunting. Driving from NY out to WY would be breath taking! You would get to see lots of cool areas. Might be a good retirement gift to yourself ;)

How are your trail cameras doing? Are the big bucks still staying around?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back