Caribou Gear

Colorado and Montana residency requirements

Pagosa

I could possibly be moving back to western Colorado this September for work and leaving Montana. I read the residency requirements for Colorado, which is similar to Montana. I've been a Montana resident for 4 years and plan to rifle hunt elk/deer in late Oct as a resident and possibly buy a NR Colorado license for elk, mtn. lion, bobcat in the 2017 season. My question is if I change my drivers license from Mt to Co by late September per the DMV laws can I still hunt Montana as a resident in Oct 2017? My vehicle plates do not renew until November so I would change those then. Thanks, Preston

I think the requirement is that your primary residence is in the state of Montana for six months prior to the opening date of the hunting season. I actually planned my move back home to Montana in 1999 around this requirement. Leaving in September may be an issue. I'd call FWP to be sure. mtmuley

I'm pretty sure you are good to go. As long as you haven't been gone from Montana long enough to establish residency in CO (assuming 6 months?) and you are hunting Colorado as a nonresident I don't think there is any reason you can't utilize the resident Montana license you bought while you were a resident. You can only be a resident of one state and if you are not legally a resident of Colorado you are still legally a resident of Montana until you meet the legal requirements for residency in Colorado.

I don't know Colorado law but Montana states you must reside in the state for 180 days, have your vehicles registered in Montana and have your voter registration switched to Montana before you can be considered a resident. All three conditions must be met.

Last edited:
Thanks Gerald, that was my understanding reading the regulations. I've already bought my MT license for elk/deer/bear for this year and I will not be a resident of Colorado until 2018 if we move. I will call the Colorado PW and MT Warden for the areas I hunt to be sure.

I could possibly be moving back to western Colorado this September for work and leaving Montana. I read the residency requirements for Colorado, which is similar to Montana. I've been a Montana resident for 4 years and plan to rifle hunt elk/deer in late Oct as a resident and possibly buy a NR Colorado license for elk, mtn. lion, bobcat in the 2017 season. My question is if I change my drivers license from Mt to Co by late September per the DMV laws can I still hunt Montana as a resident in Oct 2017? My vehicle plates do not renew until November so I would change those then. Thanks, Preston
You better check with FWP before hunting with a MT hunting license while using a CO drivers license for ID (and driving a car with CO plates?). A game warden may request some sort of proof you were a resident when you bought the license. I'm sure FWP will have advice since you aren't the first one to do this.

I did exactly this last season and checked with the CO and MT FWP extensively to make sure I was legal. To hunt Montana you need to purchase all of your licenses while you are a resident of Montana so make sure you get everything for Montana NOW, any license you can purchase as a legal resident you will be able to use as long as you don't become a resident of another state AND purchase a resident license in that state.

This past year I got a MT sportsman with bear and a CO non-res deer in March. I moved to CO in July and got new plates and a Driver's license, when I went back to MT to hunt I tossed my old plates in the car and my old invalidated driver's license in my wallet. I was stopped by wardens in CO and MT for license checks with no issues.

I did exactly this last season and checked with the CO and MT FWP extensively to make sure I was legal. To hunt Montana you need to purchase all of your licenses while you are a resident of Montana so make sure you get everything for Montana NOW, any license you can purchase as a legal resident you will be able to use as long as you don't become a resident of another state AND purchase a resident license in that state.

This past year I got a MT sportsman with bear and a CO non-res deer in March. I moved to CO in July and got new plates and a Driver's license, when I went back to MT to hunt I tossed my old plates in the car and my old invalidated driver's license in my wallet. I was stopped by wardens in CO and MT for license checks with no issues.

You are correct about MT. Spoke with MTFWP and they confirmed the purchase date requirement. Thanks for the response. Colorado would not allow me to be a resident until March 2018.

Has anybody done this in reverse?

I am in a similar situation except I am leaving Colorado (going to Wyoming). Technically the regulations read that you must be a resident when you apply or purchase the license (similar to Montana it seems). I contacted the CPW (through the askCPW link on their website) and got a response that if you aware you are going to be leaving, then you shouldn't apply as a resident based on the guidelines: "1. You must live in Colorado at least 6 consecutive months immediately before applying for or buying a license, AND you must intend to make Colorado home." To me that applies more to becoming a resident rather than losing residency but I certainly am biased in my interpretation.

Has anybody gone through the process in moving from Colorado after the application date and hunting in the fall?

If you know for certain you are moving and the dates do not allow you to establish residency in your new state, it may just be prudent to be a NR everywhere for one season...

If you are moving for education, many of the states have different rules for establishing residency.

Has anybody done this in reverse?

I am in a similar situation except I am leaving Colorado (going to Wyoming). Technically the regulations read that you must be a resident when you apply or purchase the license (similar to Montana it seems). I contacted the CPW (through the askCPW link on their website) and got a response that if you aware you are going to be leaving, then you shouldn't apply as a resident based on the guidelines: "1. You must live in Colorado at least 6 consecutive months immediately before applying for or buying a license, AND you must intend to make Colorado home." To me that applies more to becoming a resident rather than losing residency but I certainly am biased in my interpretation.

Has anybody gone through the process in moving from Colorado after the application date and hunting in the fall?

Yep... moved from CO to MT then MT back to CO (wife was doing a master's program) You need to be residing in the state when you buy a license. So if you apply for a tag in CO in March, then move to Wyoming you can come back and hunt in the fall. You won't have lived in Wyoming for 180 days so you wont be considered a resident there, according to MT and CO the point of these rules isn't to strand someone with nonresidency status just to make sure you don't apply as a resident in two states and abuse the cheaper prices.

BUT you have to have a CO driver's license to get a resident tag so if you don't buy your tags before you leave, move to Wyoming get a Wyoming driver's license and then come back to CO and try to buy an OTC tag you will be refused and you won't be a WY resident yet.

So you can get stuck if you don't plan ahead.

Also the term for residency total depends upon the context, there are different rules for taxes, Hunting License, tuition for education, driving, ect. and none of them have any bearing on the other.

Taxes start the first day you work/live in the new state you are moving to... so residency means 1 day
Hunting typically 180, (although longer or shorter in some states)
Education (1 year for undergrad, and often 2 years or more for medical school)
Driving you get 30 days before you need a new license

Last edited:
We have decided to stay in Montana due to a number of reasons, and will not be relocating back to Colorado. I'm thankful it worked out the way it did. Thanks for answering my question anyhow.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back