Quiver questions for western hunting

119bowhunter

I've searched quite a bit through the forums on here as I'm planning to go elk hunting for the first time this fall, I've talked to a few folks here at home who have done some western hunting and gotten different advice, I currently have a bohning (lynx I think) 4 arrow quiver, nothing fancy, but for the whitetail hunting I typically do it is perfectly adequate. After reading through some threads on here I got the consensus that most people use a quiver that is mounted to the bow rather than a backpack mounted quiver, which I am fine with as I feel like I'd rather have my arrows close at all times. My question is how many arrows do most people take with them, especially on a backpack style hunt? I typically carry 3 broadheads and a small game head for my whitetail hunting, and have never needed more than that. Just curious as to how most people think in regards to this...thanks!

My quiver carries 6 arrows. I have 3 broadheads, a judo point, and 2 Rage 3 blades for turkeys. I keep extra arrows and broadheads back at camp, just in case.

Last edited:
A lot of guys here, myself included use a tightspot 5 arrow quiver. I usually have shot enough where I have my arrows graded. Most consistent will be closest to me. Furthest one away will be a small game type head. Whatever I'm shooting. I'm privy to fixed blades and lately have been shooting the fixed blade f-15. Puts a wicked hole.

Hunting with a quiver on is almost a necessity. But if im at a tank i will take it off, but keep it close by. Going through scrub oak you don't need more things to snag you. I only plan on using 1 arrow. But I've shot big bulls with near perfect shots and they barely move. So I'll throw another one if it gives you time. Another in case you miss. Something for bear or turkey. And another for small game.

I also use a tightspot 5 arrow quiver. I wish it held 8 arrows. I like to carry 2 judo points for practice during the day and of course Grouse. When I used to go into the back country for a week at a time I would take a dozen extra's in a hard case. I have a thing for fresh Grouse for dinner and I would ruin a couple of arrows doing so but dang it's fun :)

+1 tight spot (a Montana company!)

I'd take 100 arrows if they fit in my quiver. I carry a judo point on an arrow and a couple in the bag. I think it is much more manageable to have it on the bow, and take it off if really necessary. I've only done that once in a strong cross breeze. I also have a bunch in the case back at camp.

Awesome, I've never needed more than one arrow per animal but I would hate to be a couple miles from the truck and have to hike back out because I needed more arrows, I will probably look into a quiver that holds a couple more arrows. I had new limbs put on my bow in November and went to a heavier spined arrow and ever since then I've done all my shooting with my quiver on to get ready for our hunt this fall. I really haven't noticed any negative affects from shooting like this but for whatever reason I've always taken if off when treestand hunting. I'm pumped about this trip and trying to really be prepared, I've been working on hiking with a weighted pack around here (NC mountains so I've got a lot of opportunites to gain and lose elevation) but I've been stuck at home with the flu for 2 days so I've used this time to read tons of forums on here haha...thanks for the advice!

Awesome, I've never needed more than one arrow per animal but I would hate to be a couple miles from the truck and have to hike back out because I needed more arrows, I will probably look into a quiver that holds a couple more arrows. I had new limbs put on my bow in November and went to a heavier spined arrow and ever since then I've done all my shooting with my quiver on to get ready for our hunt this fall. I really haven't noticed any negative affects from shooting like this but for whatever reason I've always taken if off when treestand hunting. I'm pumped about this trip and trying to really be prepared, I've been working on hiking with a weighted pack around here (NC mountains so I've got a lot of opportunites to gain and lose elevation) but I've been stuck at home with the flu for 2 days so I've used this time to read tons of forums on here haha...thanks for the advice!

Get in the best shape you can, but just remember: the altitude is going to kick your butt anyway. Seriously. You will suck wind. If you can get out here sooner, and get at least a few days to acclimate it will help.

I've always carried 5 arrows and it's always been enough. As mentioned, I grade my arrows as they fly with the broadhead and arrange them in my quiver accordingly.

Get in the best shape you can, but just remember: the altitude is going to kick your butt anyway. Seriously. You will suck wind. If you can get out here sooner, and get at least a few days to acclimate it will help.
I can be above 6000 feet in elevation in a half hour or so from my house, I've been trying to spend as much time as I can up there, I know its nothing like the elevations out west but I figure its better than training at lower elevations...we are planning on taking 2 weeks off and driving out so we should have around 10 days or so to hunt which I'm hoping will give us a day or two to acclimate

I had the same set up with a 4 arrow lynx, bought a tight spot and practice shooting with 4 arrows in it at all times, I dont notice it anymore.

I have used the quivalizer from Option archery the last few years and have been impressed with the design an the balance it brings to your hunting bow while dropping some extra weight.

I had the same set up with a 4 arrow lynx bought a tight spot and practice shooting with 4 arrows in it at all times, I dont notice it anymore.
Count me in the same boat! I upgraded from the 4 arrow lynx to a Tight Spot I picked up on AT. Couldn't be happier with the upgrade. The lynx would make some squeaks and didn't hold my arrows in nearly as well as the tight spot does.

Keep an eye on the classifieds and you can make the upgrade a little less painful!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back