South Central WY

bhuntin

Hey Hunt Talk-

With any luck I should draw a tag this year and I'm looking for some general info on the Rawlins/Saratoga area. Along with calling local biologist, taxidermy shops, ect. I figured I would check with people here as well. Below are a few things I'm looking for information on. Please feel free to shoot me a PM and I can let you know specific unit. Thanks for your help.

I will be in the area most likely the 2nd week in Oct.

- What weather conditions have you experienced this time of year? I know to expect anything from 80 degrees and sunny to 30 degrees and snowing but in general from year to year.
- What are BLM roads like in the area? Chains yes or no
- What kind of antelope number should I expect to see in a day on public? Very Few, Moderate, or more than you can shake a stick at
- If you see a buck in the xxx class don't be passing him up. If you see a buck in the xxx class you can let him go because you will surely see more before the end of the day.
- Best place to stop after the hunt for good dinner (steak or burger) and celebratory beverage?
- What kind of hunting pressure can you expect that time of year?
- I've had good or bad experience with xxx taxidermist or processor in the area?
- I've hunted the west before but never antelope. Don't forget to bring xxx.

I will have buddy along with me on the trip who is not hunting and just tagging along for vacation. He likes to hike, mtn bike, fish. We will most likely camp in the Medicine Bow NF. Any recommendations for hiking trails, bike trails, camping areas, or lakes/rivers to fish? Any places to stay away from are also helpful.

Thanks again!

Which area are you hunting? PM me if you want. We hunt antelope there usually in Nov, but have done deer and elk. Weather will be almost anything, warm or snow. Roads get somewhat slick in rain but passable, rocky base in some areas. Lots of BLM for camping right in your area but the forest is nice.
Saratoga has a free hot spring pool, bring your suit as a day after crawling or stalking bent over will hit your lower back and knees. Try the Wolf for dinner at least one night. Bar menu is cheaper but limited. Saratoga Inn has a brewery and some of the beers are good, their food is not bad either but not cheap.
Fishing can be awesome in the area, Platte River and mountain streams and some lakes in the "plains". You see lots of hunters first week, come out after opener if possible or during the week. When I know the area I can give you some specifics on places to hunt. Look for a nice mature buck, at least 14 inches with decent mass and take him. Bigger ones are out there though. If you pass on a so so buck he will probably get taken by some else. Decent numbers around the area, they move around alot.

Saratoga has a great Italian restaurant also. I second wytex, especially on the hotsprings idea. I've hunter near saratoga quite a few times. I've never killed anything real big there, but I'd say a 14 inch goat is definitely doable. Will have to hunt hard and be patient though. Plenty of access. Hunting pressure was nil last year opening weekend. Later in the season can be pretty good too. You can PM me for more info if you'd like.

Bhuntin....PM me I have some info which may interest you....

Doug

Back