Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Kuiu our new "hunting liason"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is there so much hate towards KUIU? They have specifically stated they are against the PLT, and I don't see any reason why they would be lying. A large majority of hunters that wear KUIU/SITKA/ First lite are public land hunters. Jason is very involved in every phase of his company and has grown a huge following fairly quickly. I highly doubt he is going to support anything that would hurt his business. He has stated multiple times which organizations he supports and most of them revolve around sheep and elk, nothing wrong with that. I understand that he has ties with the Don, that's an issue, but not a killer. So what is the big issue?

Ideological purity. Coupled with the fanboy mentality about gear and clothing.

That picture with the sheep is just flat assed creepy. If my hunting partner did that I'd drop kick him in the junk.

One thing about it, people that are really into KUIU gear will pay good money for it. A hunting buddy of mine just sold a bunch of his well used KUIU stuff and was able to turn a profit on it, crazy.

Anybody listen to the Jay Scott podcast with Hairston and have any further thoughts?

Best advice from a PR rep: Ask for questions in writing and only reply in writing. The off-the-cuff statements never 100% sound like what you meant. English is hard and add in being tired or distracted or your accent and things go off the rail.

The difference between "Man, bacon tastes great" and Man bacon tastes great" is obvious when written but when spoken all bets are off.

Can someone explain why there's so much apparent negativity behind him? I'm familiar with the clothing and have heard him on a few podcast but don't see what makes him particularly polarizing or uniquely different than other people.

There is an elitist attitude with him that rubs some people the wrong way. That and the cozy relationship with SFW are 2 of the bigger rubs for the public land crowd.. I'm being pretty general but he is a great case study for branding and building a company.

With Kuiu's success, Hairston has fielded a number of offers to buy the company, but says he'd rather be good than big: "I made that mistake with Gore. I won't make clothes for women, and I won't make clothes for fat guys, because then the skinny guys won't look good in them. I want Kuiu to be an aspirational brand."

So have we as hunters/sportsmen ever had a direct line to the department of interior like this? Sure seems like a big step in the right direction to me and all you guys are whining because your favorites aren't involved. Maybe you guys should listen to that podcast so you can hear how DT JR specifically got his dad to appoint Zinke as a friend to the outdoorsman instead of going with who the party wanted, she is pro public land transfer. Sounds like a pretty big win there. Also Hairston specifically states that he will not be pushing any of his personal ideas/agendas, that his job is to get with the conservation groups like RMEF and get their message to Zinke.

Some of you guys should be thankful you have Zinke/Hairston because the alternative could be 1000 times worse.

Should be self explanatory.....

"Jason Hairston
January 27, 2016 at 5:28 pm · Reply
Ted Lyon a Texas Trial attorney with a ranch in Montana wrote a book called The Real Wolf. Ted states clearly that Don and Big Game Forever were key players with many groups to get wolves delisted in Idaho and Montana, in fact Ted credits Ryan Benson CEO of BGF who is also a Harvard trained lawyer helped Congress put in the key provision that precluded judges from over ruling to delist wolves. Ted and Ryan were involved in the legal challenges to delisting in the Federal Court in Montana where Sportsman won and also in the 9th Circuit Court in San Francisco. I highly recommend reading this book. It gave me amazing insight to how wolves were delisted."

My concern with Jr is that he's smart enough to know State Land isn't public land, and when controlled by a State Land Board, access can be taken away at any time. As such, it does make a difference who has it.

From Trump Jr:

"The platform is we have to keep public lands public. Utah has done a great job with state land. Other states have not. The typical Republican platform has been to transfer that land to the states. The problem is some of these states would just sell this land to people and then you have a private hunting reserve. If know you have to drive three hours to go hunting, you may not do it anymore. It doesn’t really matter if the state has it or the government has it, so long as that land stays truly public and the access stay open to everyone."

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/donal...rump-administration-means-to-all-outdoorsmen/

Last edited:
WapitiBob, is claiming a fact or saying that's what he knows/believes - or what he read in the book referenced? What's so "self-explanitory"? FYI, I know hardly anything about hairston and don't own a single piece of KUIU - but think the pack here often gets a little sanctimonious.

In my mind Jason Hairston and Cam Haines are about equal in their actual understanding of the issues, and motivation for being involved; they get involved when it benefits them personally.

That doesn't mean I don't want them advocating, but I don't want them to be the face of it.

If a guy is so out of touch that he believes the information in a "book" vs factual information easily obtained on the Internet, and supposedly relayed to him directly, he has no business being a "liaison" for public land hunters.
He may be a nice guy and all, but he's not the best choice for the job.

Something about this all smells a bit "fishy".

And now Donald Trump Jr. has asked Jason Hairston, a former San Francisco 49ers linebacker and founder of hunting gear company Kuiu, to serve as a liaison among himself, Zinke, sportsmen's groups and the White House on conservation and public lands issues, Hairston said on Thursday.

"I'm absolutely going to take the position," Hairston told POLITICO, but the job won't come with a salary, and he plans on staying in California where he lives and managing his business.

But an official with the Interior Department said there had "been no discussion of creating of a new role like this" and White House deputy press secretary Stephanie Grisham said in an email there were no new personnel announcements.

Hairston said Donald Trump Jr. had hoped to play the liaison role between Interior and the White House himself, but his decision to stick with running his father's business empire with his brother, Eric Trump, put a kink in that plan.

"It's really a role he was hoping to fill, but he can't because of conflict of interest," Hairston said.

First of all, JR. can't ask people to "serve" since he has no role. Remember, he decided to just work on for Trump Companies, while his Dad still owns, profits, and oversees the Trump Companies and the US.

Second, Zinke and Company don't take "orders" from Donnie Jr, so if the announcement doesn't come from Zinke, it is really just somebody jumping ahead of themselves.

And, for Hariston to say that somehow, Donnie Jr can't do something because of a "conflict of interest" is laughable, as Donnie Jr. has been getting involved in all sorts of White House stuff that causes him a "conflict of interest". To suddenly think Donnie Jr has some sort of ethics is laughable, at best.

And to think someone who struggles sitting on a tree is an advocate for Public Land hunters is even funnier.

Trump JR Tree.jpg

It's crazy to me that some people actually think Jason would do something to hurt his business. For the first time that I'm aware of, we actually have a direct connection and people are whining because they don't like the pick. While he may not have the knowledge that Randy has, I would be willing to bet that he isn't going to do anything to jeopardize public lands. He makes many millions off of public land hunters, and donates to many public land organizations. He is not going to do anything to hurt his business....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back