Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Kuiu our new "hunting liason"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until he starts getting buffaloed by guys like Bishop and Chaffetz, and proclaims to his Instagram followers that they have some legitimate points or aren't such bad guys.......

There are a lot of public land using hunters that don't understand this, I don't feel like it is safe to assume Jason gets it either. I didn't see them at the BHA Rendezvous....weird if he is such a supporter of public lands....

It's crazy to me that some people actually think Jason would do something to hurt his business. For the first time that I'm aware of, we actually have a direct connection and people are whining because they don't like the pick. While he may not have the knowledge that Randy has, I would be willing to bet that he isn't going to do anything to jeopardize public lands. He makes many millions off of public land hunters, and donates to many public land organizations. He is not going to do anything to hurt his business....

There are enough consumers in this world that he could act in an entirely self serving manner and people would 1) not know the difference and 2) keep buying his products.

I'm sorry, but I automatically distrust any affiliate whatsoever of BGF and SFW. They have already shown their level of regard and respect for the North American model of wildlife conservation, and the concept of the public trust doctrine. So no, I don't trust Jason Hairston to advocate on my behalf. He hunts the CA Ranch, I hunt public land. I don't buy his clothes because I am entirely skeptical of his support for the common Joe. I'll support companies that support things like 2% for Conservation.

I'm sorry, but I automatically distrust any affiliate whatsoever of BGF and SFW. ... I'll support companies that support things like 2% for Conservation.

Go to the huntexpo website, sponsored by SFW. Check on the list of exhibitors. Just curious, but are they all not technically "affiliated" with them, as they paid for a booth, and represented themselves at their convention?

But wait, that's business.

There are enough consumers in this world that he could act in an entirely self serving manner and people would 1) not know the difference and 2) keep buying his products.

I'm sorry, but I automatically distrust any affiliate whatsoever of BGF and SFW. They have already shown their level of regard and respect for the North American model of wildlife conservation, and the concept of the public trust doctrine. So no, I don't trust Jason Hairston to advocate on my behalf. He hunts the CA Ranch, I hunt public land. I don't buy his clothes because I am entirely skeptical of his support for the common Joe. I'll support companies that support things like 2% for Conservation.

JLS,

I respect your opinion, and I understand your thoughts. Do you have a camo company that you support? Jason hunts the CA, as well as public land in Nevada, California, and Alaska. I personally don't believe that he would throw away his public land sheep hunts for the 360+ bull he is going to shoot on the CA.

Go to the huntexpo website, sponsored by SFW. Check on the list of exhibitors. Just curious, but are they all not technically "affiliated" with them, as they paid for a booth, and represented themselves at their convention?

But wait, that's business.

Sure they are. What's your point? Jason Hairston believes and perpetuates the myth that BGF and SFW "got wolves delisted". That's a little bit different, no?

JLS,

I respect your opinion, and I understand your thoughts. Do you have a camo company that you support? Jason hunts the CA, as well as public land in Nevada, California, and Alaska. I personally don't believe that he would throw away his public land sheep hunts for the 360+ bull he is going to shoot on the CA.

I buy Sitka, who is a member of 2% for Conservation. I don't keep tabs on every where Jason hunts, and he may be a genuinely nice guy. I don't know. I do know the company he keeps is no friend of mine, and for that reason alone I will choose not to support his company, nor do a I want him speaking for me.

I'd much rather see Big Fin or Steve Rinella in that role.

Sure they are. What's your point? Jason Hairston believes and perpetuates the myth that BGF and SFW "got wolves delisted". That's a little bit different, no?

My point is only to find out what the witch-burning ceremony is about. BHA and Sitka, and piles of other companies paid into representing at the SFW convention. Some of the rants here seem hypocritical to me. I've yet to be convinced Hariston is not a good representative for hunters, regardless of who he hunts, eats, drinks or associates with. I could be wrong. I'm not yet convinced.

Continue bashing..

I buy Sitka, who is a member of 2% for Conservation.

Yesterday I bought a Arc Teryx lightweight down hooded jacket for hunting. Neither Sitka or Kuiu have one nearly as good. Arc Teryx is not a member of 2% for conversation, but they make a better jacket.

I buy Sitka, who is a member of 2% for Conservation. I don't keep tabs on every where Jason hunts, and he may be a genuinely nice guy. I don't know. I do know the company he keeps is no friend of mine, and for that reason alone I will choose not to support his company, nor do a I want him speaking for me.

I'd much rather see Big Fin or Steve Rinella in that role.

I also own a ton of Sitka. I was in the process of switching to KUIU but won a pile of Sitka gear and therefore have stuck with Sitka. So, Kevin Sloan who is one of the main guys at Sitka leases at least 3 ranches in Montana. One in Twin Bridges for Whitetails that use to be open to the public until he came in and offered them big $$$, now there is no public hunting on it. One in White Sulphur and also one in region 7. These ranches are essentially closed to hunting now. What makes his actions different that Jason's? Jason books on the CA, along with many other hunters in a year. Sloan locks down a ranch and very few, if any others get to hunt it. 2% for Conservation is great, but if one of your concerns is Jason hunting private land, then why does Sloan get a free pass? This isn't an attack on Sitka, as Kevin is a very nice guy and I've had some great conversations with him. It just seems like a double standard to me. And I agree with you regarding Big Fin or Rinella....they would be great choices for the role.

Yesterday I bought a Arc Teryx lightweight down hooded jacket for hunting. Neither Sitka or Kuiu have one nearly as good. Arc Teryx is not a member of 2% for conversation, but they make a better jacket.

That's an outstanding choice for quality of product. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

My point is only to find out what the witch-burning ceremony is about. BHA and Sitka, and piles of other companies paid into representing at the SFW convention. Some of the rants here seem hypocritical to me. I've yet to be convinced Hariston is not a good representative for hunters, regardless of who he hunts, eats, drinks or associates with. I could be wrong. I'm not yet convinced.

Continue bashing..

Sorry if you feel like I'm bashing. As I said, I don't know the guy at all. For all I know, he may sit at the table with Don Peay and tell him he's full of shit for wanting so many auction tags. I doubt it, but I'm not saying it's impossible. Particularly when is perpetuates misinformation that makes BGF and SFW look like saviors of the west in so many hunters' minds because of the wolf delisting that they had no hand in, yet took credit for.

I for one don't think he's a BAD representative of hunters, a la Ted Nugent. However, I'm certainly not convinced he's a good representative either.

YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also own a ton of Sitka. I was in the process of switching to KUIU but won a pile of Sitka gear and therefore have stuck with Sitka. So, Kevin Sloan who is one of the main guys at Sitka leases at least 3 ranches in Montana. One in Twin Bridges for Whitetails that use to be open to the public until he came in and offered them big $$$, now there is no public hunting on it. One in White Sulphur and also one in region 7. These ranches are essentially closed to hunting now. What makes his actions different that Jason's? Jason books on the CA, along with many other hunters in a year. Sloan locks down a ranch and very few, if any others get to hunt it. 2% for Conservation is great, but if one of your concerns is Jason hunting private land, then why does Sloan get a free pass? This isn't an attack on Sitka, as Kevin is a very nice guy and I've had some great conversations with him. It just seems like a double standard to me. And I agree with you regarding Big Fin or Rinella....they would be great choices for the role.

My issue with Jason is not that he hunts the CA. I was using that as example that he and I are worlds apart.

In my mind, there is a difference between leasing a ranch for hunting rights, and supporting the Don Peay's of the world who think all premium tags should be sold via auction. Throw their silence/inaction on the PLT issue on top of it, and I fail to see them as a real ally. If I was a rich guy who hunted sheep a lot, I might view it differently.

My issue with Jason is not that he hunts the CA. I was using that as example that he and I are worlds apart.

In my mind, there is a difference between leasing a ranch for hunting rights, and supporting the Don Peay's of the world who think all premium tags should be sold via auction. Throw their silence/inaction on the PLT issue on top of it, and I fail to see them as a real ally. If I was a rich guy who hunted sheep a lot, I might view it differently.

Ok understood. I thought your complaint was that he hunts private and therefore you won't support him.

So what really is "your issue"? Just curious. Maybe you should ask/let him know directly. I'm confused to your comparison of a company whose leading execs lease local hunting ranches vs. the perception that the other company's exec is a Don Pee lapdog, when BOTH company's paid for SFW exhibitor booths.

The bandwagon is full.

So what really is "your issue"? Just curious. Maybe you should ask/let him know directly. I'm confused to your comparison of a company whose leading execs lease local hunting ranches vs. the perception that the other company's exec is a Don Pee lapdog, when BOTH company's paid for SFW exhibitor booths.

The bandwagon is full.

If the "hunting liason" position is an actual reality, I certainly will let him know what my issues are. Directly.

No bandwagon here, no matter how much you'd like to attach me to one.

Holy crap..you guys have way too much time on your hands.
I've got some KUIU gear...love it. Great clothes. I could care less who the owner supports or is associated with.
I've also got some Arc Teryx, First Lite, Patagonia, and some good old Cabelas (still some of my favorite pants). I'm an equal opportunity shopper. If I find one piece of gear I like better than the others, I buy it. I could care less who the owner is or hangs out with. If I wasted all my time worrying about who everybody supports, hangs out with, hunts with, donates money to or has dinner with...I'd be naked and hungry in no time.

Carry on...

Last edited:
Yep, as well as loads of hearsay in this thread...Hunttalk should be better

It's not hearsay that Jason Hairston believes Don Peay is an advocate for all hunters. It was written under Jason's name, on his own blog.

The discussion was about his qualifications for the position, of which there are none other than a friendship with Trump JR. If JR was interested in filling that role with a qualified individual, one that didn't require the SFW connection, Newberg seems to be the guy most qualified.

Dang, guys.

Maybe I'm getting old. Maybe all the travel, politics, and other demands of the off season just has me worn down. Maybe owning a forum and all the PMs and emails that bitch and complain about other members/hunters is just part of the human element and I've no longer got the patience for it. Whatever the reason, I've tired of it.

It is threads like this that make me wonder if Hunt Talk, or any forum for that matter, is providing much net value to the bigger picture of hunting. A bunch of really good guys are on this thread investing scarce time and energy jousting with each other. None of that will have any impact on the issue of a hunter liaison. And it will have no benefit to the big issues facing us. I see this too often on forums and it is draining to know I own a platform that contributes to it.

I appreciate every one of you and hope your energy can be funneled to more beneficial threads and topics.

That said, I am locking this thread. I'm going to increase the rate at which I lock other threads when they end start to unravel with no beneficial long-term outcome, as this one has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back