Caribou Gear Tarp

New boots need opinion

Ironhayden

Im going on a elk hunt this fall in bob Marshall wilderness area in the beging of November. Im torn between the cabelas alaskin hunters 200gm and the perfect extreme hunters 400gm. The Alaska hunters are stiffer and shorter 10in 4.2lbs and the extreme are 11in 4.5lbs and softer. Im a eastern boy so im not sure if ill need the crazy stiff boot but they dont realy bother me. Then the othere difference in the insulation 200 vs 400. Any thoughts would be appreciated also not sure if the extreme would be to tall.

I prefer taller boots as you never know where you'll end up and for me it helps give my ankles support. Insulation has to do with your owns body ability to retain or not have real sweaty feet. I wear 400 as I would rather be a tad warm than cold feet.

Mountain hunting requires different boots than eastern hunting. I like stiffer boots for mountainous terrain.

Telling someone they need stiff boots or not is pretty tough. It's very much a matter of personal preference. The amount of insulation will largely depend on the hunting style you plan on doing. If you are going to be up and moving, still hunting, etc then 200g is probably enough. If you are going to be sitting for extended periods, it might not be.

I've worn uninsulated boots on elk hunts during sub zero temperatures, but I have a pretty active hunting style.

Regardless of which model you choose, make sure you get about 30-40 miles of hiking in them (INCLUDING SOME HILLS) to make sure they are broken in and not going to blister your feet. Blisters suck and can really derail a hunt.

Might take a look at the White's Outdoorsman boot with the 400 g. of insulation. They build a great boot and the sole/traction on them is fantastic. I am looking at buying a pair of those for myself. I have the Danner Trophy with 400g. of insulation also and really like that boot too, but I can tell by actually looking at them that the WHITE'S boot is a bit better built.

Might look at getting a set of these to toss into your daypack. The work superbly on snowy or wet hillsides and are quiet. It really saves on energy expenditure and they are simple to get on and off. I love them. Both of these work very well.

http://kahtoola.com/product/microspikes/

http://hillsound.com/hillsound-category/crampons/

Ive have tried on the alakin hunters and they fit good didnt mind the stiffness. My brother has the extreme and i have tryed them but they are the wrong size for me to get a fit. Ill be using these in the east to in were will be doing stand hunt but i also do a lot of walking also. The elk hunt is a horseback hunt so i dont think we will be doing crazy a amounts of hiking compaired to if it wasnt.

The Bob is great. I don't think the extremes would be too tall. As far as insulation goes it really depends on your style and you personally. If you are on horse(which is the only way I go into the Bob) Can you pack some lightweight(less insulated) hikers on the horse and ride in wearing insulated pacs? Ive worn the kenetrek cowboy pacs for years and they've been good. I just retired a stiff soled pair of Schnees boots that ive worn for years, non insulated, and I loved them. I recently bought some of the Crispi "Idaho" and have enjoyed them shed hunting so far. Just make sure the ankle support is GOOD for you. Break them in no matter what the salesperson or company says. Put some miles in them during the off season.

I went through the same process a couple weeks back. Ended up with some Cabelas Meindl Perfekt. Actually 2 pair, picked up some Ultralites as well. Cabelas had 20% off and free ship so why not. The Perfekt had a better fit for me than the the Ultralite which felt really wide and sloppy. Not sure if its the material used or just a different designed boot so they'll probably go back. Now that all Cabelas branded gear has a lifetime warranty I figure I have nothing to lose by trying them. Insulation wise I hedged my bet with 400g.

In November you can have 50 above or 20 below temps. I would go with the better insulation and taller boot. The chance of deep snow is always there so a set of gaiters would be handy.

You going in from the Augusta (east) side by chance? If so be ready for some wind and wind chills.

i too would up for 400g insulation along with a couple of good pairs of merino wool socks. i like my feet warm. as stated before it is highly recommended that you break in which ever pair you choose prior to your hunt.

Love my Alaskan Hunters..... The Perfekt's are very comfortable as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back