Caribou Gear Tarp

Travis: dreams of being an outdoor guide.

TPylican98

Hi everyone my name is Travis, I grew up in Idaho and have been around hunting my whole life, I LOVE it. I started when I was 12 like a lot of us westerners and I have been hooked on the idea of making a career out of what I love ever since. While growing up I had few resources of big game (without realizing the potential knowledge and very inteligent personnel of the world wide web.)

I have decided to spend the majority of my time on becoming more informed about the animals that I hunt. Although I would say I am an intelligent hunter I can also say I have a bit to learn and a lot more discovering to do.

My goal now is the same as it has been for years, make a career out of what I love and fallow in the path of many men before me to become an outdoor guide.

I will be glad to listen to any advice from the people of this forum and except any PM's.

Thank you all for your time and I look forward to hearing your responces.

Last edited:
Good luck on your future endeavors and welcome to the forum. Be cautious when you turn what you love into work. But I'd never discourage someone from chasing a dream.

Head north. Find and Alaskan outfit that needs camp cooks, meat haulers, tenders, whatever. Work on the assistant guide license and learn the trade while getting paid. Better to get paid to learn than pay to learn.

Good luck on your future endeavors and welcome to the forum. Be cautious when you turn what you love into work. But I'd never discourage someone from chasing a dream.
Agreed, although it has worked for me guiding hunters and fishermen, some find it a challenge.
But best of luck with your new venture and i really hope it works out for you, i have some great times doing what i do.
Cheers
Richard

Nick, Great info you passed on to Travis! I don't know your age, but some college courses in Wildlife Conservation might be of a benefit to you the way the different states manage their resources these days. John

Welcome to the forum. You have already been given some great advice. I once thought I wanted to guide for a living but figured out VAspeedgoat's very astute wisdom of the problem of trying to turn what you love into your work. If you do it right it is difficult, hard, seasonal work. The constant strain of trying to achieve success for clients leads many guides and outfitters to take ethical and legal shortcuts. Hunting as a whole takes on an entirely different nature when money enters the picture. Personally, I made the conclusion to keep my work and my passion for hunting separate so that I could enjoy both more fully. Good luck and keep your eyes open!

Thank you all for your advice, 6mm thank you for your recommendations on the schools, I have checked out 2 of the 4 you suggested and plan on taking the elmguideschool course in the neer futre, also I am glad to here that I am on the right path.

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back