Yeti GOBOX Collection

Hunting SE Montana

I have hunted there in the past (spring turkey and deer) and may go back.

I've hunted the area once, not including for antelope. There are better places in the state to chase deer with a lot more elbow room.

This will be another place that is so crowded that nobody will go there anymore.

I may be there this year for the first time. Finally got off the dime and put in for MT elk/deer combo for first time and have about zero chance on the limited deer tag I put in for.

I'll be in the eastern 1/2 of Montana with a deer tag. I'll probably start in Region 7 and work my way up to Region 6, solo, sleeping in the truck until I get into some decent hunting.

I've really liked the looks of some areas to the far NW that I've bear hunted in, especially for whitetails, but I doubt I'll make it that far.

Ive been there got some nice bucks out of there . They werent booners but very respectable. A lot of road hunters and idiots makes parking your rig and hiking a little scary I was wondering if our camp or trucks are gonna get pillaged the whole time out hunting . I'm going back as I'm from California and dont have many points to get drawn any where else . Kinda sucks to start hunting later in life and learning from scratch . But I still love every second of it .

I have hunted SE MT abou t5 years, and will continue to waste my time because I 'know' that one of those many mediocre bucks I saw last year, will be big this year.

but they won't

Repeat, Repeat, Repeat.

I have hunted SE Montana for many years and plan to return.

Mainly because I have family in the area. I will most likely just hit it during archery.

unless I draw my breaks ram tag.

Never been and at the price of the tags don't think I will be going. I can get 2 deer tags in Wyoming for the price of one in montana.

Never been and at the price of the tags don't think I will be going. I can get 2 deer tags in Wyoming for the price of one in montana.

And hunt over the rut ? And get 11 weeks to choose your trip ? And have access to as much public land ? I still say the montana deer and elk gen tags are good tags . Pricey yes but flexible

And hunt over the rut ? And get 11 weeks to choose your trip ? And have access to as much public land ? I still say the montana deer and elk gen tags are good tags . Pricey yes but flexible

You're right if you're happy to pay a stupid price to hunt, anytime for 11 weeks, with a crowd of others, for a whacked out mismanaged population of deer. Being easy to please is a prerequisite to being excited to hunt most of MT, especially SE MT. I'll be hunting mule deer in WY this year.

You can hunt mule deer in the rut in Wyoming region a which is the north east corner. Since I can only get away from home to hunt 1 week and year I don't need the 11 weeks. Maybe for a resident it's really nice since you are already there and the tags are way cheaper. I was going to go to wyoming this year to hunt deer but my dad who is almost 70 wanted to go elk hunting so we are going to colorado.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kallcarrty
Back