MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

26 Nosler

Archie

Is there anyone on the forum who has some first hand experience with the caliber/rifle? My gunsmith buddy and I plan to convert my Howa 338 Win Mag to a long action 6.5, and the 26 Nosler is way up on my radar for it.

I'm a long time 7mm-08 big/medium game hunter, and have recently become a fan of the 6.5 as well (in most of its iterations). In particular I have developed something of an obsession and affinity for this 26 Nosler - specifically its capabilities with 140 grainers out west here where I do my hunting. I realize it is duplicating (or slightly improving on) things like the .264 Mag and (more recently) the 6.5/300 Weatherby but I'm not, and never have been, a fan of belted cartridges or their recoil (as you can see by the whole 'converting a 338WM' thing). From what I've read and seen the recoil on the proprietary Nosler rifle is about equivalent to a 30-06, which is in my wheelhouse. That relatively low recoil combined with the energy and accuracy it brings out to extended ranges would seem to be a good match for the game I hunt - elk, oryx, Barbary sheep, etc. - and the ones I dream about hunting, such as bighorn. I'm not a long range hunter if I can help it. But when that is the only option this seems like a handy tool to be carrying.

I'm not really concerned about barrel life. If I shoot enough to wear it out, I will replace it. I realize that's just the price of fast and flat. This will be a hunting rifle, and only rarely taken to the range except for load testing and zero/confirmation and the occasional "I have to shoot this today just because"....

Anyway, thanks for any advice/experience to help out with the decision.

Rich

I have no first hand experience although it seems like a pretty awesome caliber. I'd also look at a 6.5 swede based on it's popularity, longevity, and proven track record.

Belted cartridges don't recoil any more or less than others...that is all related to weight of rifle, design of stock, shooter, etc. My 7mmMag recoils less than my 30-06 because the stock fits me and the dang thing weights 9lbs.

Within average hunting distances you'll have little advantage over a 260, 264 Win, 6.5 creedmoor, 6.5 Swede that are sighted into say 200-250 yards. If you plan on being a proficient long range hunter, you'll have to shoot a lot and I would suspect barrel life would be reduced to maybe a couple years.

You should wildcat that Howa. A 6.5-06 AI will get right up there with the 26 Nosler with 140s, but use 20+ grains less powder to do it. That's a lot less recoil, and probably a lot more barrel life as well.

You should wildcat that Howa. A 6.5-06 AI will get right up there with the 26 Nosler with 140s, but use 20+ grains less powder to do it. That's a lot less recoil, and probably a lot more barrel life as well.

If he was working with a standard bolt face I'd agree with you but he already has the magnum bolt face. If it were me I'd go 264 win mag and leave the 26 nosler alone......o wait I did ;)

I might take a look at a 6.5 SAUM 4s, the long action could make it fun with some of those long 6.5 bullets. You'll burn a lot less powder too helping with recoil.

If I were to jump aboard the 6.5 bandwagon, it would be this. Or one based on the .06 case. mtmuley

If I were to jump aboard the 6.5 bandwagon, it would be this. Or one based on the .06 case. mtmuley

Just curious mtmuley, but what do you feel are the benefits of the .264 Win Mag or the 6.5 SAUM or the 6.5-06 over the 26 Nosler in real terms, for what I will be doing with it? I am a backcountry meat hunter, don't mind toting a heavy rifle or pack (I like heavy barrels), don't mind replacing a barrel every 5 years or so if I have to, and though I prefer a short action I'll carry what I have to to get the performance that I can be confident in out to 450 yards or a tad more..... I was a range rat throughout my 22 career so I have confidence in my shooting ability.

I've looked at information on so many 6.5s my eyes are bleeding (6.5-06 (AI and squared), 260, 6.5X47, 6.5X55, 6.5-284, 6.5 SAUM, 6.5 Rem Mag, 6.5/300 Weatherby, 264WM) and have got some focus on the 26, but could definitely use some more information....

Just trying to make an informed decision here.

Thanks,
Rich

Last edited:
Not basing my 6.5 preference on any "benefits". The 6.5 GAP has always interested me. I have friends that shoot the crap out of the .06 based 6.5's. IF I were to have one, I like those two. Just my preference. If I needed a rifle to shoot out to 450 yards, with the recoil of a 30-06, I'd use a .30-06. mtmuley

What bullets do you plan to shoot? Brand? 450 yards isn't to far and most any 6.5 can handle that. Since you have a magnum bolt face and long action the easiest would be the 264win. Simple rebarrel and feeding shouldn't be an issue.

What bullets do you plan to shoot? Brand? 450 yards isn't to far and most any 6.5 can handle that. Since you have a magnum bolt face and long action the easiest would be the 264win. Simple rebarrel and feeding shouldn't be an issue.

140 Nosler Accubond or 147 Hornady ELD, whichever load works best in the platform. The only game I would go lighter with is pronghorn.

So I have kicked this project off after reading these posts and doing some additional research. Sacrificing my Howa 1500 in 338 for it. Will be building a custom rifle off the Howa action in 26 Nosler. It suits my needs.

We disassembled the 338 and removed the barrel. It was not anything like some of the horror stories I've heard. Came right off with normal torque in the barrel vise. Today we are cutting the boss off the Howa barrel and machining it into a bolt lapping jig to help start truing the action, and we'll be getting the lathe set up for metric threads. Waiting for the reamer and gauges from PTC, which should be here in a couple weeks.

I picked up a stainless Kreiger barrel (M24 Contour, unfluted) for the build, which will end up at around 25-ish inches with a recessed crown, and a McMillan stock (M40 GAP), Harris bipod and Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16X50. The rifle will end up at around 13.2-13.5 pounds loaded, which is what I like.

I also picked up a detachable 5-round box magazine from Howa - the Nosler round based off the 404 Jeffery is just wide enough that only two will fit in the existing internal mag. I prefer 3, and the DBM gives me 4.

So it's coming together....

Cheers.
Rich

Last edited:
shawn carlock has a 260 blown out to run his 140 gr projectiles at 3000fps,,nice wee short action,,personally i run 125 gr partitions,with a sectional density of .256 its good enough for all but big bears

The idea of lugging around a 13 lb. rifle makes me tired just reading about it. I have friends and a son in law who like rifles that heavy but it seems unnecessary. I'm not a huge fan of super light under 7 lb harder to shoot and point rifles so far from a limited sample but you should certainly be able to make a very accurate hunting rifle and scope without going over 10 lbs.

If you are very recoil shy, plan on shooting several animals at once varmint hunting or always hunt close to the truck a rifle that heavy might make sense but unless it is primarily a target rifle that weight just doesn't make sense to me.

I fell in love with an MOA evolution chambered in 26 nosler. I enjoy the thought of the round but after 100s of rounds in load development, lbs of powder burnt and 1000s of hair pulled from my balding head I came up with the conclusion that it's just to much of a good thing. Sadly I sold the rifle and bought a 6.5 creedmoor to add to my 6.5-284 and 264 win mag. The 6.5-284 in my findings is all a person needs to push those sweet 6.5 pills.

The idea of lugging around a 13 lb. rifle makes me tired just reading about it. I have friends and a son in law who like rifles that heavy but it seems unnecessary. I'm not a huge fan of super light under 7 lb harder to shoot and point rifles so far from a limited sample but you should certainly be able to make a very accurate hunting rifle and scope without going over 10 lbs.

If you are very recoil shy, plan on shooting several animals at once varmint hunting or always hunt close to the truck a rifle that heavy might make sense but unless it is primarily a target rifle that weight just doesn't make sense to me.

I hear you, and I get that a lot. But I guess it doesn't have to make sense to anyone but me. Lol.

Seriously though, the Nosler does not recoil any more than a .30/06 in any standard configuration, so that was not the issue at all. I've carried much heavier, higher recoiling rifles for much farther distances, along with considerable additional weight so it's just what I'm used to. I just like a heavy rifle. They're plenty easy for me to handle, have less waver and are easier to lock down under stress. This one comes in at 13Lbs, loaded. My old rig was 15-ish. So you could say I've come out ahead.....

Anyway, here it is after a very long haul. Howa/Weatherby magnum action with detachable box magazine, Timney trigger, 25" Krieger M-24 barrel target-crowned, MacMillan M-40A1 HTG stock GAP camo, Vortex Viper HS-LR 4-16X50, dual dovetails. Cerakote matte finish. Action is trued, bolt lugs lapped, bolt face squared and polished.

A couple issues I encountered: Firstly, these Howa/Weatherbys actions are metric threaded. Our first attempt to cut metric threads on an imperial lathe did not work out. They seemed secure and locked in, but could not handle the 65000 psi of pressure from the Nos, which resulted in slight action separation during barreled-action proof testing after three remote rounds. Neither did our attempt at changing all the lathe gears to metric. It turned into a furball. So off to a guy with a CNC machine, and then it was good to go. It took 6 months, and it cost me about 3/4 inch of boss. Originally I wanted a 25.5 inch barrel but ended up with 25, and a re-ream, and a re-face. Live and learn. But five test rounds through it and it was still locked down tight as you please.

So, Monday will see it at the range to dial things in and see how it does. If all goes well, it will be Barbary sheep hunting in late March.

Attachments

• KIMG0961.jpg
    KIMG0961.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,188
  • KIMG0962.jpg
    KIMG0962.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,227
  • KIMG0963.jpg
    KIMG0963.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,221
Last edited:
Well, it shoots very well indeed. Probably much better in the hands of someone a little more talented.

First target is break-in and zero at 100. I was looking for about 3 to 3.25 inches high. Second is a 2-shot group at 200 to test that zero and third is a 3-shot group at 300. All were center hold and break with Nosler's factory 142gr ABLR, chrono'd at an average of 3313. Next week we'll stretch its legs a little out to 800 just to see how it does.

Then it's time to begin working up loads for Barbary sheep in the spring and elk in the fall.

KIMG0964.jpg

KIMG0968.jpg

KIMG0969.jpg

KIMG0970.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats! Curious as to why such a long zero range since you have an exposed elevation turreted scope?

With a cartridge that shoots that flat, a 300 yard zero makes sense. mtmuley
Not as much when you can just dial it in before you leave the trailhead with an exposed turret, which I'm guessing is what pointer is getting at. If I want to zero my rifles at 300 at any moment, I just dial to 1.1 mils and presto.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back