Montana Highground

Highground

Been surfing around for awhile on here figured i put my first post up. Been hunting deer and elk in Montana for over 20 years. MOST of my experience is in Western Montana but Ive recently been hunting Elk and Muleys in the Eastern and Southern portions. Will be doing a Snowcrest range early season archery hunt this year and would love to hear about anybodys experience in hd 324 Montana for Elk. Ill be staying at Notch cabin Sept 8 and 9 and will have backcountry/bivy gear for extended hikes. Looking to get my 76 year old pops his first Bull. I have time to scout this summer and have a couple game cams to utilize. I'm pumped for this year already!!!! Thanks in advance for any insight to this section and I'll be sure to pass on the favor if I can.

The snowcrest range is pretty steep in stops. The Notch will be fairly centrally located, but if you decide to move camp at all it will be a long drive. The area holds a fair amount of elk, and occasionally produces a big bull. You will definitely have competition up there, even if you backpack hunt. Make sure you keep a clean camp as there are grizzlies in the area. If the cattle are still in ledford pass it could be a tough hunt. However, it should be very enjoyable, and you'll see some really cool country. A permit is required to hunt deer, and the area is fairly hard to draw. Hope this helps, and good luck to you guys!

First time post here as well. Looking for additional feedback for this unit as well. We were planning on staying at the Notch the following week, but it seems that it is booked out. Most of our time will be spent spiking around the area, anyway. We are aware of the griz situation, but are there any other noteworthy pros or cons to this section of the unit? Any feedback is much appreciated!

Thanks for the replies so far! I hear ya on the cabin...i barely got in this year must have clicked the reservation tab at just the right time.:cool: I have heard this unit can be fabulous at times....also heard about Sheep grazing in addition to the cattle. This will be very first time in the area, will be scouting this summer at least 2 trips let me know if you want to try and collaborate.

If you would like to add a third to your collaboration, we will be going there just after you about the 15th. I am curious about the livestock. Any further info on where and when they are prevalent would be greatly appreciated. I have also heard that just like anywhere if you get a mile off the road you will leave 90% of the hunters behind.

I have never hunted around the Notch Cabin, but I've hunted the Snowcrests. There are elk. There are hunters. Sometimes you'll see a lot of both. Sometimes a lot of one or the other. The last time I hunted there, I was running into multiple groups of hunters almost every day, and I was well over a mile from the road.

It can be good hunting, but if you are expecting total solitude you will be sorely disappointed.

I have never hunted around the Notch Cabin, but I've hunted the Snowcrests. There are elk. There are hunters. Sometimes you'll see a lot of both. Sometimes a lot of one or the other. The last time I hunted there, I was running into multiple groups of hunters almost every day, and I was well over a mile from the road.

It can be good hunting, but if you are expecting total solitude you will be sorely disappointed.

JLS is correct. You will not get away from the hunters. You may get away from most, but the area is popular and fairly easy to access. It can be great hunting though, or it can be tough. If you are
Looking for a fun hunt, good scenery, and a chance to get into elk, you should do well.

Thanks again for the replies. I have no fantasies of complete solitude, and mainly look forward to hunting with my Dad. If our hunt results in pops punching his first elk tag at 76...well that would be his dream come true. After raising 8 children and working for over 60 years he finally feels like he cant take the time off to do something for himself. Trouble is im worried his condition will be a limiting factor now...and be is too stubborn to pay for an outfitted hunt. We will have an adventure this summer in the Snowcrests that is for sure! Im also hoping to draw the Little Snowies tag...that would change the season a bit:D

Hopefully your dad is in good shape. It's steep, and somewhat high elevation.

Ive been on Google earth scouting but nothing beats boots on the ground. I may have to reconsider my father on this hunt (could NEVER tell him that) if it proves to be too steep and precarious. He is in good shape for his age but no elk is worth his health. Thanks for this heads up.

I know a group of guys that have hunted the Snowcrest for years. They have an old fella in the group. Stubborn. Last I knew he hunted alone a lot and got into plenty of elk up there. And other times he stays in camp.

Well an update, was able to make only one scouting trip about 3 weeks ago. I did see elk but mostly towards the Southern end of the range. Im sure this will change with the season tho...I did see plenty of elk but very few groups of mature bulls. Only two groups actually with only one decent 5x5 altogether. We will be hunting the Notch as planned and will keep this thread updated as the trip unfolds. I appreciate the few who reached out and hope to make good on the couple hints I have been given. Regarding collaboration, PM me and we can talk.

Welcome! I am also trying to get my 72yr old man on his first bull. Problem are his legs don't go very far and he likes to take naps under trees.

I would not expect to find many mature bulls in the Snowcrests. Just set your sights on a good-eating rag horn and enjoy the hunt.

The other posters have me curious though. Are there documented grizzlies in the Snowcrests? Or is it just unconfirmed sightings? I've always suspected they are around but I've never formally heard it.

I would not expect to find many mature bulls in the Snowcrests. Just set your sights on a good-eating rag horn and enjoy the hunt.

The other posters have me curious though. Are there documented grizzlies in the Snowcrests? Or is it just unconfirmed sightings? I've always suspected they are around but I've never formally heard it.

Yes there are documented Grizzlies there.

First off, good luck on your upcoming hunt. I will be in the same region about a week after you. I sent you a PM just to touch base and keep in touch as to your experience. Good luck next week!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back