White House Budget Cuts LWCF by $120 Million

Ben Lamb

I guess old Tiny Hands told Zinke what he could do with that horse he rode in on.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whitehouse.gov/files/omb/budget/fy2018/2018_blueprint.pdf

This budget is a slap in the face to the sportsmen and women who supported this president, and it returns the BLM back to being a service organization for the energy industry.

Now, it's up to such stalwart defenders of conservation as Rob Bishop and crew to restore your funding for public lands. I'm sure it'll go great.

That budget is a slap in the Face to anyone who isn't in the military/industrial complex or a contractor bidding on the Mexican wall. I thought the fact that Trump's sons were Great White Hunters ensured that Trump would support and defend hunting and fishing?

Nemont

Last edited:
Agreed this is a despicable budget representation for public lands, wildlife, and sportsmen. The Department of Interior is expected to be cut nearly $2 billion. The Department of Agriculture by $4.7 billion. The Trump adminsistarion has been a "yuge" disappointment to anything having to do with public lands and sportsmen at this point. So here's to the BLM and Forest service being undermined even further, to 4 more years of ruining their budgets, to 4 more years of backlogs,and to 4 more years of republicans calling for a transfer because these agencies aren't doing their job right.

Last edited:
I think the budget cuts are pretty well distributed across every department except Defense.

Department of Labor is getting a 21% decrease so the 12% decrease for the Department of Interior looks good in comparison.

With the national debt at 20 TRILLION and climbing at some point something is going to have to be done.

I think the budget cuts are pretty well distributed across every department except Defense.

Department of Labor is getting a 21% decrease so the 12% decrease for the Department of Interior looks good in comparison.

With the national debt at 20 TRILLION and climbing at some point something is going to have to be done.

If you ignore the actual effects to the budget and the economy that these cuts will deliver, as well as the increase in spending to Defense, then it may make some sense. As Sec Def Mattis said on the State Dept cuts: If you do this, we're going to need more ammunition.

Trump's budget is a classic case of being pennywise and pound foolish. It places the short term ahead of long term, and the DOI & USDA cuts hurt those who supported him the most - Rural America.

All underfunding these agencies does is fuel land transfer and sale rhetoric and further backlog projects and costs. And if Trump gets the tax cuts he wants there's gonna be one hell of a deficit, so good luck with that 20 TRILLION, it's gonna keep going skyward, might as well be paying for something that is worth while. All these cuts do isn't ensure we have further backlogs. Until congress fixes some very expensive laws that are costing these agencies billions a year, funding shouldn't be cut. Fix fire borrowing, fix the wild horse and burrow act so the BLM doesnt have to feed thousands of horses until they die. Fix some problems before you make damaging cuts.

Last edited:
I would prefer to have seen reductions in Defense as well. The spending budget exploded during the Obama years and is not on a sustainable course. Hopefully congress will look at some of the expensive mandates and get rid of them. It would make very good sense.

I would be happy with taxes staying where they are at as well and not having any reductions there. Something has to be done about the debt before it gets completely out of hand. There is nowhere to go but up for interest expense and with 20 TRILLION of debt we are going to be paying a LOT of it.

One would hope that with a $20 Trillion debt that the president would start by dealing with those program that produce the vast bulk of that debt. Instead this budget majors in the minors and doesn't cut a single dime of debt. Nor does it balance or touch entitlements and actually increase military spending. I come from the Barry Goldwater wing of the conservatives, " You can live on your own blood".

Nemont

I would prefer to have seen reductions in Defense as well. The spending budget exploded during the Obama years and is not on a sustainable course. Hopefully congress will look at some of the expensive mandates and get rid of them. It would make very good sense.

I would be happy with taxes staying where they are at as well and not having any reductions there. Something has to be done about the debt before it gets completely out of hand. There is nowhere to go but up for interest expense and with 20 TRILLION of debt we are going to be paying a LOT of it.

This budget will increase the deficit spending and the GOP healthcare replacement would see massive tax hikes for the poor, elderly and middle class.

This budget will place a major burden on states and local governments who cannot afford to pay for the infrastructure on rural water, superfund sites, and many other programs that helped create jobs in the private sector as well as brought money in to the treasury. Water quality in the Great Lakes will suffer immensely, and the clean up of the Chesapeake Bay will end.

All so Trump can have you pay for a $4 billion border wall.

The biggest threat to the outdoor economy, which till now has proven to be extremely resilient, is this budget. It's a downward spiral to making America more like a third world country than it is about putting America first.

This budget will increase the deficit spending and the GOP healthcare replacement would see massive tax hikes for the poor, elderly and middle class.

Taking away the Obamacare credits is not a massive tax hike. When you aren't actually paying any taxes you can't have a tax hike.

I didn't mean to turn us down the rabbit hole here. I was looking at it from a positive. Did you really think that someone who campaigned on cutting government spending was going to cut the budget for every department except the Department of Interior? I was stating that the 12% reduction for Interior looks pretty good compared to the absolutely crushing reductions on some of the other departments.

I'm not just looking at DOI. USDA gets a 26% cut, EPA gets a 30% cut, etc. The cuts are counter-productive to putting America first. This budget literally guts programs and agencies designed to put Americans first, in order to pay for some trumped up need to send our boys and girls overseas for nebulous and undefined ends. It redefines what public lands are for, placing energy production over all other uses, coupled with the elimination of BLM 2.0, we're now in a position where the voice of the people when it comes to land management planning is below that of corporations who purchase elections. YOur voice on public lands is now weaker than it has been in 30 years, and the priorities for those lands we all hunt and fish on have much less to do with conservation or habitat improvement.

This budget eliminates Sesame Street. It eliminates clean water grants for rural communities. It ends programs that help family farmers market their crops overseas.

This budget is a gift to the Heritage Foundation and it puts no working class American in a better place than before. It's a massive FU to the people who supported Trump, and it will hurt our economy.

Last edited:
I'm not just looking at DOI. USDA gets a 26% cut, EPA gets a 30% cut, etc. The cuts are counter-productive to putting America first. This budget literally guts programs and agencies designed to put Americans first, in order to pay for some trumped up need to send our boys and girls overseas for nebulous and undefined ends. It redefines what public lands are for, placing energy production over all other uses, coupled with the elimination of BLM 2.0, we're now in a position where the voice of the people when it comes to land management planning is below that of corporations who purchase elections. YOur voice on public lands is now weaker than it has been in 30 years, and the priorities for those lands we all hunt and fish on have much less to do with conservation or habitat improvement.

This budget eliminates Sesame Street. It eliminates clean water grants for rural communities. It ends programs that help family farmers market their crops overseas.

This budget is a gift to the Heritage Foundation and it puts no working class American in a better place than before. It's a massive FU to the people who supported Trump, and it will hurt our economy.

My initial reaction to the FU comment is, good, those who supported him are getting just what they deserve and I don't have an ounce of sympathy for any of them; then I realize even though I didn't support him I'm getting screwed too. SOB, I told you so is of little consolation now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemont
I thought the fact that Trump's sons were Great White Hunters ensured that Trump would support and defend hunting and fishing?
Nemont
And if that's the white horse you saw Trump riding when you put him in the Oval Office, it must be a huge disappointment to see it come up lame already.

As a sportsman a $480 million cut (which is all of it) to maintain our wildlife refuges is something I can blindly support because he is Trump and has an R next to his name. By god he saved my guns. I mean really? As a sportsman some of these budget cuts should infuriate you. The only grain of goodness here is that I believe he needs 60 votes to pass his budget in the senate, which means he will have to have 8 democrats vote in favor of this budget. As it is right now, democrats will not sign off on this. I agree our country has a significant spending problem but a lot of that spending is infused into the economy and is just plain never going to stop. So you spend less, but significantly cut taxes? That doesn't help the debt or the deficit any. Both parties are outrageous in spending, one parties deficits are always significantly higher though. I won't say which, but its the party who pretends to spend less, but then cuts taxes and still just keeps adding to the debt. The debt is not going away and this administration is going to add to it. Sorry, but we are going to keep spending money, I would prefer we were spending it where it is needed.

You know, you can always address the deficit and the debt by addressing the revenue side of the equations.

You know, you can always address the deficit and the debt by addressing the revenue side of the equations.
That may already be proposed with increased taxation of the poor, the lame, and the middle class.
The "trickle-down" precipitation emanating from tax cuts for the wealthy "job builders" may have a familiar odor.

That may already be proposed with increased taxation of the poor, the lame, and the middle class.
The "trickle-down" precipitation emanating from tax cuts for the wealthy "job builders" may have a familiar odor.

I have always been fascinated with the idea of squeezing blood from a rock.

Seems like genius to get people without money to pay more.

Like Mick Mulvaney said today:

OMB Director: We can't ask coal miners or single moms to pay for PBS

But we can sure as hell ask that single mom to pay for a border wall.....

You all just been brainwashed that clean air and clean water are important....

Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-OK) is probably best known for bringing a snowball to the Senate floor in a sad, failed attempt to demonstrate that climate change is a myth. (It’s not).

Now that President Trump has proposed cutting the budget for the Environmental Protection Agency — which oversees clean air and water programs — by over 30 percent, Inhofe is excited that the agency will stop “brainwashing” the nation’s children with its science.

We’re going to take [out] all this stuff that comes out of the EPA that’s brainwashing our kids, that is propaganda, things that aren’t true,” Inhofe said during a CNN interview on Thursday.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back