Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Quad sticks

devon deer

These are not suitable for hiking up into the mountains, and to be honest they are unnecessary as you can use bipod etc but they would be a pain to hike for miles and miles because of their length.

But, when the crops and grass get high and you can't lie down to take a shot they are invaluable, i shoot 95% of my deer off them and they are as stable as a bipod, well almost.

I use 4 plastic covered steel garden stakes 1.8m (5' 9'') in length, 4 40mm M8 nuts,bolts and washers, some paracord cut to the length of your rifle from front to rear stud.
Also some shrink tubing to prevent damage to the rifle stock.

Ask DaveN on here, he used them to great effect, 120 yard neck shot on a Roe Buck.

This is a pic of my friend using them for the first time when he came over from South Africa, he found them to be a revelation, and all for less than $15 to make!

Cheers

Richard

Thought I heard my name mentioned! Yep, I carried those things for quite a while in England! Worked pretty good for me, obviously. Once locked in on a target, simply lean forward or back to change elevation. My ONLY complaint would be, as in my situation there, if your target was moving. I had to keep picking up one leg and swing the setup over to get lined up. No fine tuning in that department. Guess I got lucky and set it just a bit ahead of my buck and whapped him when the shot came into view.

Doesn't look like i convinced anyone Dave, agreed, that is an issue, i remember the bottom of the sticks catching in a tussock of grass, but you get used to that happening.
Sawtooth on here will be using them very soon.
Here is a video i found using quad sticks.
Around 3:18 you can see how he starts to lift to adjust windage and elevation, apart from that this guy does soem good videos on roe deer hunting...he never says much, i think he is polish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-b_qqXxr2c

Cheers

Richard

Richard, Good demonstration on how to use the quad sticks. Looking forward to getting an opportunity to try the sticks out on a Roebuck this summer. Don't know if I will be able to make a neck shot on a moving buck like Dave did. :eek:

Last edited:
Ive been using something very similar for 5-6 years now. I never leave on a hunt without them. They work well for up/downhill shots and when you need to get over the sagebrush or tall grass.

I saw they are running a spring special on them right now for spring bear hunts. http://highandheavyoutdoors.com/

Richard, Good demonstration on how to use the quad sticks. Looking forward to getting an opportunity to try the sticks out on a Roebuck this summer. Don't know if I will be able to make a neck shot on a moving buck like Dave did. :eek:
Don't worry, the Roe was stood still, its just that it was during the rut and it kept moving trying to serve the doe, so Dave had to keep moving the sticks, but not taking anything away from Dave, he pulled off a great shot.
The Sako .243 is ready and waiting!
BTW, i saw an absolutely stunning 6 point Roe Buck yesterday with 2 does, whether it will still be here when you get here is another question, but i won't shoot it.

Cheers

Richard

Back