Hey fellow HT er's
I am looking/planning a hunt/beach vacation to the Hawaiian islands next year. I have read through most threads on HT that have any info and numerous online resources the last few weeks. I thought hopefully I could get some opinions from you HT members that have been there done that. Information seems to be somewhat limited in some of the areas I am looking at ect.
I have several questions that may turn into several more before this thing is planned Iím guessing. Hopefully some of you can assist with them.
Here are my plans so far. There will be my wife and I and another couple. We are looking at being gone for two weeks. At the present I am looking at renting a cottage on the islands unless that changes. Our main focus on animals would be Mouflon sheep and Axis with any other game taken being icing on the cake. I would rather hunt Axis in the hard horned state if possible. Right now we are looking at visiting Lanai and Molokai to hunt and vacation. I would rather hunt with a long gun but archery is not out of the question. We plan on obtaining a vehicle rental while on the islands. My friend and I would like to get 4-5 good days in hunting game at least. I am considering a Sept date at this time but nothing is set in stone. In the early stages on planning at this point. So here are some questions.
1. Is it possible to hunt the sheep and axis during the same period and what islands would be the best for these two species? It appears some of the islands donít have both species but may be better numbers on say axis deer?
2. What is the best way economically wise to travel between the islands once we land in Honolulu? I see there are ferries between the islands and also regional flights ect.?
3. What are the best months to be on the islands for hunting these species I notice the deer rut in early summer not sure about the sheep?
4. On Lanai I noticed the tags are on a draw. I can not for the life of me find any stats on draws and so forth. What are the chances of pulling a rifle tag? I also am interested in how quickly the draw results are posted so we can better plan our trip that may be where the archery tags come into play because they are a sure thing I guess= easier planning.
5. We may be interested in chasing turkeys while there also any info on those is a plus. We are possibly looking at hunting company land on Lanai. What is the cost and rules for this type of venture?
I am open to any and all suggestions at this point as I have just a diamond in the ruff at this point and I am just trying to put all the pieces together. We will be flying from the east coast to the islands so it is quite the adventure. If you would like you can PM any info that you would not want the world to know. I am very excited as this seems to be the perfect balance of a vaca for the wife and I. Hopefully we can make it work. The wife is very easy to please as long as she has a beach with sand and ocean waves with a good book she is good. I would rather hit the hills to hike and hunt a little.