Caribou Gear Tarp

Hawaii hunt planning

I saw this thread with great interest. glass eye I have been meaning to send you another PM . My wife and I have changed our plans and are now going to Maui this August. We are going to be there during the muzzleoader hunt (August 19th-20th) and I plan to take the ferry over and do some hunting. Definitely plan to hunt the state Mouflon hunt, but have been considering adding Axis on the company land while I am there. Flights are booked and now I need to put together the other logistics like lodging and transportation.

alwayshunting If you do the muzzleloader, order your powder and primers from a Maui gun shop in Kahului or Wailuku. Airlines don't allow powder or primers in baggage and you won't find anything on Lana'i.

I was looking at Central Guns in Kahului for the powder and primers. Planning to call ahead to make sure they have some and will set it aside for me. I did the same with Jetboil fuel in AK last year.

Thanks glasseye. Just need to try and align dates with my wife and kids - there is a week gap from NZ school holidays ending and the start of the sheep season.

The state hunt requires that you shoot a female and check it in before they issue you an either sex tag. They also require that the animal be brought out whole, only gutting allowed, no skinning or boning out allowed. The terrain can be brutal and packing a whole animal out can kill you.
The Co. hunt does not have those rules. You can bone out your animal and no female first rule.

I see Hawaii made a correction to the rules for the 2017 spring state axis hunt and now the application for the 2017 mouflon hunt also has that change.

". Hunters are allowed to bone the animal with the exception that a hind quarter must be tagged with genitalia and skin still attached."

I imagine that will make a big difference on where one would be willing to take an animal.

I saw that also. Great news I was gonna ask to be certain when getting tags. I read somewhere the reason for the regulation on bringing out animals whole was a concern for poaching issues that may have been going on. It will make the hunt much easier for us guys that like to get away from a crowd into rough country. I'm in for the mouflon hunt.

That rule change is great news and long overdue. I passed on a polly ram (hornless) that had a gorgeous hide because I didn't want to pack him out. I've complained to them numerous times about that rule and I'm guessing that I wasn't the only one complaining.

Seeing videos and pictures from Lanai there look to be plenty of areas I would not want to pack a whole ram out of. I am getting excited thinking about this hunt.

Are the polly rams fairly common to see during a hunt? I know each hunter gets a tag for one but didn't know how common it was to fill one. With the state muzzleloader and rifle hunts being only two days is at a bit of a dash to try to fill your tags?

Seeing videos and pictures from Lanai there look to be plenty of areas I would not want to pack a whole ram out of. I am getting excited thinking about this hunt.

Are the polly rams fairly common to see during a hunt? I know each hunter gets a tag for one but didn't know how common it was to fill one. With the state muzzleloader and rifle hunts being only two days is at a bit of a dash to try to fill your tags?
Too common. I told them that if they wanted them culled that they needed to make it easier. Also they would keep the head and horns on polies and mummus (deformed horned) They wouldn't let you keep the heads, I hope they changed that rule as well.

It doesn't appear they have changed the head rule at this time. I plan on taking the first ewe possible then hunt for a nice ram and as a third get the polie ram if time permits. That is a lot of work in a two day span though it's gotta be tough to accomplish I would imagine. " That is if I'm able to draw the rifle permit".

I thought about muzzle loader but I already put in for rifle glass eye. If I do not draw this year I am going to do muzzy next season. Pretty good draw odds on rifle though. It makes planning more difficult not knowing what week you may draw.

Being able to know the weekend is the main reason I chose muzzleloader over rifle. My wife and I were able to book our flights last month and we plan to spend time in Maui regardless of drawing a tag or not. I also figured that the limited restrictions on muzzleloaders should allow for good shot opportunity. I know not having more than a 1X scope on mine is the biggest limiting factor and currently I am very confident out to 100 yards. It will be interesting this summer to see what a higher magnification scope will do.

Too common. I told them that if they wanted them culled that they needed to make it easier. Also they would keep the head and horns on polies and mummus (deformed horned) They wouldn't let you keep the heads, I hope they changed that rule as well.

should do a nz,,shoot hell out of all the moo moos and start again

If you have IG look up mr_stealthmode. If I knew I had this kind of oppourtunity growing up I don't think I would have left my home ha ha! I was born and raised on Oahu, and left when I was 18. I would say Kauai, Lanai, Maui, and Big Island would be your best bet's. I've seen in person deer taken in Lanai, and the rest of the islands all offer very good pig hunting as well. I came across his page a few days ago and he has a lot of videos of his hunts. I don't know if there is a difference between res and non res limits, but according to him he told me there is no season, no bag limit, and no tags needed.

should do a nz,,shoot hell out of all the moo moos and start again

For many years there have been rumors that kiwis are going to be hired to eradicate them all. This is why I don't mind posting info online about Lana'i. There are too many animals and if hunters can't keep them in check something bad is going to happen.

One of my best friends who lives on Maui and works for Kamehameha Schools just sent me this. He said a lot of bow hunters go to the school and hunt at night with the DLNR permit. He said there is a lot of them.

He is taking these pictures from school property. After the last picture they got spooked and ran over the hill.

Attachments

• IMG_0352.jpg
    IMG_0352.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 839
  • IMG_0353.jpg
    IMG_0353.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 833
  • IMG_0354.jpg
    IMG_0354.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 907
Darn things seem to be everywhere over there. Waiting on the lanai mouflon draw results now. Even hunting the axis at night wow....

I am researching this hunt and thought I saw that you can hunt the Lana'i Company Land year round? Is that correct? I would like to bow hunt either chital or sheep from around 20 July 2018.

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back