Caribou Gear Tarp

South East Montana - Custer National Forest

The Hedgehog

Just in case anybody missed the other 50 threads and other details on hunting this place, I thought I'd start another one.

There's only a day left for you folks to all apply. Don't miss the deadline. Will be a great place to meet people dressed in camo and orange.

What will Hiroshima and Nagasaki have on this area after November of next year?

Just in case anybody missed the other 50 threads and other details on hunting this place, I thought I'd start another one.

There's only a day left for you folks to all apply. Don't miss the deadline. Will be a great place to meet people dressed in camo and orange.

More elk after Debbie's law is done doing her bidding.

Just wait until the results come out and people know for sure whether or not they drew a general tag. There will be an additional 50 threads. It should be quite the hunting festival next fall out there in region 7!

I started a thread about first time mule deer hunting and was given the suggestion about region 7, but after looking through old threads, I dont think I wan't to go there. Seems like an orange army takes over! I just want to go someplace that I can hunt and work hard and have a decent chance at any mule deer buck. I don't want to compete with with masses of orange pumpkins.

I bet it will look something like this. I don't plan to survey the damage.
h31_01.jpg

Don't the deer tags sell out every year? I understand hyping a certain area will have an impact on that locality, but it seems to me that pressure in other areas would subside since there is a fixed quota.

Don't the deer tags sell out every year? I understand hyping a certain area will have an impact on that locality, but it seems to me that pressure in other areas would subside since there is a fixed quota.

yeh they do . Last year there was 483 left over deer combos but they sold in about 2 hours. This year they will be gone in the draw most likely, if theres any leftover it wont be much . We had a few guys in our group that were nervous about maybe even not drawing a deer combo so they opted for the big game combo, guessing there will be a few of those leftover , but those too have been going fast or atleast trending that way the last few years

And I think there are many better areas to deer hunt in Montana than the custer but that's just me.

Funny chit, well not really. If me helping other hunters is offensive, not sure what to say about that. If it is annoying to some, I suspect they will be even more annoyed going forward as with our YouTube channel giving us a lot more flexibility we never had with TV we are doing a lot of more of it.

I got the same grief when we promoted AZ the last two months, same as when I promoted MT as a great archery elk destination and people saw me hunting down by Hebgen Lake, when I promoted CO OTC elk hunting, when I promote pronghorn hunting in WY, when I started showing people how cheap you can hunt bears in southeast AK. This Region of Montana is over 14 million acres with over 4 million acres open to hunting and where non-residents are on a fixed quota for deer.

The business plan for this enterprise has as our "WHY" - To promote self-guided public land hunting by sharing information and experiences that enhance advocacy for public lands and the hunting on those lands. That's why we do this. That has not changed since the plan was drawn up in 2008.

It probably wasn't a very good business plan, as it has yet to make any money. But at this point in my life, and my health, I don't really give damn. I will continue to do this. I want more public land hunters who will hopefully become public land advocates and I don't give a damn if they hunt as residents or non-residents. I don't give a damn if they hunt MT or AK, AZ or CO, ID or WY. All I care about is they go and hunt these lands and have a good experience. If one of them shoot a buck or bull I might have hoped to tag, good for them.

With the expanding platforms and growth we are experiencing the information stream is going to pick up, not slow down. Expect a lot more when we do our SE Alaska bear hunt as a YouTube exclusive in April. And when........

I find it peculiar that lowering the hurdles to help other hunters is such a bad idea. The criticism isn't only here on Hunt Talk.

Too bad.png

Funny chit, well not really. If me helping other hunters is offensive, not sure what to say about that. If it is annoying to some, I suspect they will be even more annoyed going forward as with our YouTube channel giving us a lot more flexibility we never had with TV we are doing a lot of more of it.

I got the same grief when we promoted AZ the last two months, same as when I promoted MT as a great archery elk destination and people saw me hunting down by Hebgen Lake, when I promoted CO OTC elk hunting, when I promote pronghorn hunting in WY, when I started showing people how cheap you can hunt bears in southeast AK. This Region of Montana is over 14 million acres with over 4 million acres open to hunting and where non-residents are on a fixed quota for deer.

The business plan for this enterprise has as our "WHY" - To promote self-guided public land hunting by sharing information and experiences that enhance advocacy for public lands and the hunting on those lands. That's why we do this. That has not changed since the plan was drawn up in 2008.

It probably wasn't a very good business plan, as it has yet to make any money. But at this point in my life, and my health, I don't really give damn. I will continue to do this. I want more public land hunters who will hopefully become public land advocates and I don't give a damn if they hunt as residents or non-residents. I don't give a damn if they hunt MT or AK, AZ or CO, ID or WY. All I care about is they go and hunt these lands and have a good experience. If one of them shoot a buck or bull I might have hoped to tag, good for them.

With the expanding platforms and growth we are experiencing the information stream is going to pick up, not slow down. Expect a lot more when we do our SE Alaska bear hunt as a YouTube exclusive in April. And when........

I find it peculiar that lowering the hurdles to help other hunters is such a bad idea. The criticism isn't only here on Hunt Talk.

View attachment 68886

Man did we piss in your cheerios or what? LOL This chit is funny. I do commend you for being as stubborn as I am.

I will say this at least you have conviction and aren't afraid to speak / write your mind.

I'll see ya in Montana Bin Finn I should have my tags...............then again maybe not? I am a limited draw NR

Cheers

I better get started on that bomb shelter.
Hard to say what this fall will bring. The truth is the Custer has been a pumpkin patch every November for a good ten years. I am hoping that all the publicity will scare off some of the western Montana hunters. The best thing that could happen to SE Montana is better mule deer hunting in western Montana. As for now SE Montana is open to all hunters, just don't pass on that 20 inch three point half way through the season. He may be the best buck left.

It's gonna be such a circus out there and it already has for years. Good luck to all...
tsar-bomba1.jpg

Give them hell Randy, it gets old hearing people complain about you promoting public land hunts just because it happens to be an area they hunt.

Haters gonna hate. Randy.....you can't please everyone because in the end you will end up pleasing no one. Although I'm sure you were fuming at the notion you are selfish. I think it's safe to say this could win the preposterous comment of the year award. Keep up all the good work you do on our behalf.

It's gonna be such a circus out there and it already has for years. Good luck to all...
tsar-bomba1.jpg

Does anyone know if we can get extra doe tags for muleys this year? I need to shoot something more than a forked horn to make it worth my gas. :)

I understand your guys' view, but without what I have learned from Randy and his media outlets, I wouldn't be going on a DIY Mule Deer hunt in MT. I am sorry your spots are getting over hunted and I will find a different area, but I am still happy to have a resource like this.

All I care about is they go and hunt these lands and have a good experience.

Randy, You're a good guy and have done many good things for hunters. I've enjoyed watching all the programs, even the places you've covered that I personally frequent, no harm done.

I just don't get the recent, repetitive tutorials on the public land in SE MT. You are a real smart guy, and you certainly must know that "helping everybody" to such an extent isn't going to really help many.

I just watched your recently posted Youtube video, and at the 4:15 mark had to notice how you look for a "quality experience".
https://onyourownadventures.com/hun...ouTube-Series-How-I-do-my-E-scouting-(Part-1)

I can almost guarantee you, and not just due to this website and all the pointers/videos/hot tips, things will be a fiasco on the Custer next fall. Funny or not, it's a fact.

Hunted region 7 last year as my first Montana mule deer experience. It was thoroughly enjoyable. Never had an issue with "overcrowding". I think that's relative. There's a hell of lot of land out there and plenty that's not in Custer.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back