Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

MT Unlimited Bighorn District 300

Cav1

Having failed for 26 years now to draw a Montana moose, goat or sheep tag, I’ve decided I need to start doing the unlimited bighorn hunts before I get too old to get around in the high country. I am very serious about doing the Montana Unlimited Bighorn Sheep hunt in District 300 (Gallatin-Yellowstone) up Tom Miner Creek; it’s the early 10-day season that runs from Sept 1 to 10[SUP]th[/SUP]. I was somewhat familiar with the area 15 plus years ago, then lived over by Missoula for ten years and just got back into that country last year. I’m now in northern Park County and hiked some of the district around Sheep Mountain last September with a neighbor who had a tag. I’d go with him again, but he wants to hike or ride in every morning and back out every evening and I don’t think a guy would ever see a sheep doing that. I’d like to hunt it for real, which I figure requires backpacking in and just camping out up in the high country for a week or so. I’m fine with going solo, but my wife sure isn’t. She’s utterly terrified of grizzlies and thinks I’ll be instantly killed and eaten about five steps from the truck if I go alone. So I thought I would give this a try to see if there’s anyone who would like to partner up for this hunt come September, with at least one or two scouting trips in late August. I would also be open to trying the Gardiner District 303 unlimited hunt. PM me (Bob) if you have any interest in teaming up on such a hunt. Thanks.

I doubt I'd hunt it this fall, but I've considered it myself some. I'd prob be up for a scouting trip sometime. PM sent.

You have the right idea.

If you aren't glassing the first and last half hour of daylight in the unlimited, you arent hunting you are just hiking around.

We were just hiking around, actually. My friend seldom stops to glass and then only for a few minutes. I stopped carrying my spotting scope because we never stopped long enough to use it.

FWIW, I plan to check out other areas mentioned in the old FWP harvest reports. Opening day on Sheep Mountain last year we saw seven other hunters and two Parkies. I can't imagine a decent ram hanging around with that much traffic.

Well, the buddy I hiked District 300 with last year stopped by yesterday and we talked ourselves into hunting #303 this year instead. I still hope to give #300 a try later, possibly next year after my pack goats are fully mature and able to carry some real weight.

Well, the buddy I hiked District 300 with last year stopped by yesterday and we talked ourselves into hunting #303 this year instead. I still hope to give #300 a try later, possibly next year after my pack goats are fully mature and able to carry some real weight.

Pack goats in bighorn country is a bad idea. Disease transmission is a real possibility. Please rethink your idea.

Pack goats in bighorn country is a bad idea. Disease transmission is a real possibility. Please rethink your idea.

Definitely something that should be considered. ^ Are there ways to vaccinate or certify goats to be disease and parasite free for travel in wild sheep country?

Also, that deep in grizzly country wouldn't goats be in the 'bait' classification? :)

Definitely something that should be considered. ^ Are there ways to vaccinate or certify goats to be disease and parasite free for travel in wild sheep country?

As of now, and all the research I have seen, the answer to this is no. Too many strains of pneumonia. Someone more experienced in the field could enlighten us.

Also, that deep in grizzly country wouldn't goats be in the 'bait' classification? :)

Goats tied up to a tree would make very good bait in 300 or 303

We were just hiking around, actually. My friend seldom stops to glass and then only for a few minutes. I stopped carrying my spotting scope because we never stopped long enough to use it.

I hunted Idaho with two guys like that, one never took his binos out of the truck the other only used his to look at something after he'd spotted it with the naked eye. We were in an area with good numbers of deer, they saw from 2-10 deer a day, using Leica binos and Kowa spotting scope I saw between 50 and 100. They never saw a buck, I took a dandy. Optics increase opportunity exponentially. (Try sayin' that three times fast!)

Having hunted area 300 twice and 500 once I can't imagine ever seeing a sheep without doing long periods on the optics, unless it's the ewes and lambs at the trailhead.

I understand the concern about the goats. I have already been doing a lot of research on it, checking the pack goat forums, and have been in touch with a couple of FWP biologists asking questions. Will be getting my critters MOVI tested and doing a great deal more research. It will be a No-Go if there's a risk of harming the sheep.

I haven't hunted sheep in the Gallatins, so you know more about it than I. However, I'd be surprised if you were disappointed after spending some time in the Beartooths. Amazing country and much easier to get away from folks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back