My Leupold experience

warpig602

Picked up a used pair of 8x42 Olympics a couple years back, think I paid 125.00 or so. At the time I think they were going for 275 or so. Fast forward a few season later and one of the eye cups was worn and loose and the other finally broke stop tab on the other eye piece.

Sent them to Leupold at the end of last month for repair. During that time I decided to pickup some Conquest HD 8x42 as a replacement for the aging Olympics. Figured the Olympics would be a great pair of binos for my 8 year old to use.

Got shipping notification from Leupold that they were headed back, sweet. Box was waiting for me when I got home. Opened it up and in the first fold of the box they had the work order that showed "broken eye piece" and then "replaced" thinking they were able to replace they eye piece I dug deeper into the box to see a new bino box in there. My first though was, crap, there's going to be some BX1 MCKenzies in there. Much to my surprise this is what was in there:
33052197780_db5b63ecf0_c.jpg

While Ive had Leupolds since Ive started shooting, Ive never had to use their service and in recent year have started going to the German glass for my optics. Now Im thinking that some VX6's will find their way on to more of my rifles. I dont know what price point the Green Ring Olympics came in at when they were released but kudos to Leupold for not replacing them with a lower end set which which honestly would likely be of similar glass quality.

Now what to do with these...or what to do with the Zeiss. Anyoneo have some 10x42 to trade :grin:

I just had a very simaliar experience with Leupold. Had purchased a new pair of binos several years ago. After years and miles of use and abuse lost an eye cup. Sent the item back for a fix and they sent me a brand new pair of 2017 models that are great.
Needless to say I will be purchasing my next scope and any other optics from this great American company from now on. I already own a few scopes,binos, and a spotter all great stuff. Zero complaints on Leupold nice to actually see a company back their products for once and not try to give you a run around.

So when are they going to release some new high end glass? I love my gold rings but I need something new with comparable quality.

Sheff

I bought a 1000TBR rangefinder from a friend of mine and after a few years it stopped ranging. I called them and explained that I bought it used and how it wasn't working properly. I was way past the warranty, but they said to send it in. So, I sent it in and about 2 weeks later I got an email with a shipping notification. I was a little concerned about what charges I was going to have since it was so far out of warranty. In less about 2 weeks from when I sent it to them I got a box from them delivered. When I opened it, it was a brand new 1200i. I called them and said there must be some sort of mistake, but they said they stand by their optics and wanted to make it right since my old rangefinder didn't work properly. I thanked them and he said no problem at all and he thanked me for being a customer. I am now in the process of changing all of my optics to Leupold.

Last edited:
Stories like this are awesome. I've a fair share of leupold stuff. I've been equally impressed with swaro's customer service as well.

Had a pair of Redfield 10x50s fog up this past fall. Called in and talked to the warranty people (same number listed for the Leupold warranty) and they said to ship them in. Called a while later and was told they could not repair my binoculars and they discontinued that line of Redfields and asked if I wanted a comparable pair of Leupolds. Sure.

So when are they going to release some new high end glass? I love my gold rings but I need something new with comparable quality.

Sheff

I think the issue when Leupold hits that price point, the competition has a leg up in the Alpha glass department. Even if the Leupolds were truly comparable, I think most people would go with one of the big 3 at that point.

I think the issue when Leupold hits that price point, the competition has a leg up in the Alpha glass department. Even if the Leupolds were truly comparable, I think most people would go with one of the big 3 at that point.

Exactly. I have Gold Rings on top of most of my rifles, but binos and spotters go to euro alpha glass.

I wish Leupold would come up with top end binos.

Im interestd as well. Hopefully they're at least 99% as good at 2/3 the price. Thats always been Leupolds secret sauce. While they generally havent been the "best" in any category, they've almost always represented the best value in optics.

Thanks for sharing this story.

Slowly, I've started converting to Leupold, in part to support Randy's sponsors but mostly due to the great American company and their outstanding products.

You will not be disappointed with the VX6. I wish I could put them on every rifle I own. The 3-18 is the best hunting optic on the market.

Great story. I have leupold scopes and a range finder. Great gear and the after sales is a big part of the purchase decision. But I have Leica binos as I wanted top quality glass, but every couple of years I need to replace the front lense covers and that costs me $NZ50 which i find a bit rude.

I live here in Oregon and if you ever get the chance to visit Leupold in Beaverton, please do. Great people who really want to help you. Their custom shop is amazing. My wife and I have 2 custom dial turrets that Leupold has made for our VX-3 and VX-2 scopes and these turrets are amazing. Many one-shot kills in the 230-450 yard range. The people who answer the phone want to solve your problem and answer your questions. Great Northwest company.

We just bought a VX-6 in 3x18x44 and I'm sure our grandkids and great grandkids will be able to use it if there is still Public Land to hunt

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back