Custom Savage 280 AI - Criterion Barrel & McMillan Stock

CodyCass

Hello fellow HTers,

It pains me to do so, but I am parting with my custom savage. Long story short I unintentionally built a rifle that I have no pratical use for. I built this rifle over the course of 2 years. Purchasing parts as I went. I have receipts for everything and can share them upon request. Here is a list of all the parts used:

Action: Savage 110 with a blind box staggered mag and standard shank size, round front/flat back. (Purchased as a box of parts locally off Armslist) I had it Cerakoated to match the barrel
Barrel: Criterion 24" Bead Blasted Stainless Steel, Light Varmint contour, recessed crown, chambered in 280 A.I. Match with a 1:9 twist (Purchased from Northland Shooters Supply)
Stock: McMillan Game Scout with Integral Clamp Bar Adjustable*Cheekpiece, 1" Decelerator, LOP = 13 5/8", machined in aluminum pillars and 2 sling studs, camo pattern is McMillan
Recoil lug: 0.244″*Northland Shooters Supply
Barrel Nut: Precision squared Northland Shooters Supply
Trigger: Timney adjustable (Midway USA)
Bolt Body: Pacific Tool and Gauge Spiral Fluted (Midway USA)
Bolt head: Pacific Tool and Gauge Precision 110 Bolt Head (Pacific tool and Guage)
Bolt Handle: Oversized tatical handle (eBay)
Bolt Lift Kit: Nat Lambeth Bolt Lift Kit. When you rebuild a savage bolt assembly they tend to have a "heavy" bolt lift. This kit makes operating the bolt a dream. PM me if you would like me to email or text a video of me cycling the bolt with one finger.
Optic rail: EGW Picatinny 0 MOA
Rings: Burris Signature Zee Medium Height
Scope: Leupold VX-6 3-18x44 CDS Firedot Duplex (comes with the free CDS dial)

All in this rifle tips the scales at 11lbs 5oz. This is the reason I am selling. I have no practical use for this rifle at this weight. I realize not many will, but somebody will be able to love and use this gun more than me. I have only run 6 shots down the tube (two 3 round groups). The first group was .5", 2 shots were touching. After that the scope came loose (in a rush to try the rifle out I didn't fully tighten all the ring screws). Sadly I didn't discover this until after I shot the second 3 round group. Since that initial test fire I haven't had time to shoot it again. We moved and had another child, so my play time is limited.

I'm asking $3000 for this rifle and will entertain all serious offers. I will grant the buyer a reasonable/agreed upon inspection period and offer a full refund in the event you aren't happy, buyer would just have to pay for shipping.

IMG_5886.JPGIMG_5887.JPGIMG_5882.JPGIMG_5878.jpgIMG_5885.JPG

That is a nice looking setup but I am in the same boat and looking to lighten a few lbs off my setup.
Good luck with your sale

Last edited:
Thanks. It is an awesome rifle, if you are into heavy rigs... I attempted to sell the scope separately but didn't have much interest. I'd like to keep the setup "whole" for a couple days before I start selling parts. Check back in a couple days.

That rig is a technical franken-masterpiece..awesome attention to detail. Benchweight bargain at that price.

It was 11.5 scoped. I've got my hands full with our 4 month old at the moment, but when I put her down I'll weigh it without.

9 lbs 11 oz according to my Weston meat scale, that is empty with no optics or optic mounts. I will include the EGW base to the buyer.

Bump for yah.

Gorgeous setup, and I'm not usually into the wild color combos. I also love that caliber. I'd like to start a similar build within 2 years that comes in around 9 pounds total.

Sorry, I'm not following the wording on this thread very well. What are you still selling? The rifle for $1,100? Do you still have the scope?

Last edited:
No apologies necessary! Scope and rings were sold. $1100 is for the rifle, EGW rail/base, a custom Lucas bore guide.

That's a cool gun. I'm not a savage fan but that's got the "it" factor. Plus the 280ai is also cool

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rimfire45
Back