Calling in black bears in grizzly country?

I've been trying to call a bear in for a while now (black bear) and have not had any success....................yet. Also we have grizzly bears around here in most places that I hunt. Fortunately have not had one of those come in!! I do try and set up where nothing can come in from behind me without me knowing it, and I like to call with a friend so we have two sets of eyes.

I really want to call in a black bear and get one with my bow. I think that would be neat. April 15 and season opens up! Maybe this year.

I think the only way this would be advisable is from a tree stand, but even then you have to walk out in the dark. Why ask for trouble? There are lots of places with black bears without grizzlies and spot-and-stalk is great method for black bear where there might be griz about.

Ok, having done this, called in black bears in grizz country without "un-wanted" company, I'll put in what I did:

First, NO BLIND CALLING. The idea of just plopping down somewhere because there is some bear sign and blowing a call for an hour always sounded like the best way to find what you DON"T want.

I utilize calling as part of my spot and stalk strategy. I like to hunt with a handgun, this would also work very well for a bow hunting TEAM, as such I want my bear in close, under 50 yds. preferably under 25. A 454 Casull is very comforting at this range and as good as many rifles.

If I can see the bear, but it's moving in the wrong direction, not moving, I want to get a closer look at the bear (rubbed too much? too small? ) or I just get a adrenaline high out of dangerous game at close range I will not argue that this is really exciting moment. Predator call out and blowing , gets the bear's attention right now and in most cases they will move right towards me. Interesting to note that they will generally stop if you stop calling and after a few seconds actually seem to lose interest in some instances, in others, prepare to repel boarders.

Notice that you, as the caller, may not get a broadside shot, front under the chin is pretty much it. SO be armed appropriately. This is why for bow hunters its a team sport. I've seen 45-70, 7x57, 9.3x62, 44 and 454 and 12ga slugs all work perfectly with good bullets, penetration either complete or several feet into the bear. Oh, DRT, not so much, bears seem excited and turn and run off after the shot. If you don't want to shoot that bear, just stand up and yell at it, this alone is worth the effort and I've done this a hell of a lot more than shoot. (It may actually be more fun.) This would probably be the definitive "is this a grizz" test...

One last bit. I've never made much of a "camo" effort on this, far less than for coyotes. Cover your face and hands, sit still and be ready to shoot and even right out in the open, no issues with the bear not wanting to come a little closer. And the call didn't seem to matter, $5.00 Talley Ho works as good as anything else.

Ok, having done this, called in black bears in grizz country without "un-wanted" company, I'll put in what I did:

First, NO BLIND CALLING. The idea of just plopping down somewhere because there is some bear sign and blowing a call for an hour always sounded like the best way to find what you DON"T want.

I utilize calling as part of my spot and stalk strategy. I like to hunt with a handgun, this would also work very well for a bow hunting TEAM, as such I want my bear in close, under 50 yds. preferably under 25. A 454 Casull is very comforting at this range and as good as many rifles.

If I can see the bear, but it's moving in the wrong direction, not moving, I want to get a closer look at the bear (rubbed too much? too small? ) or I just get a adrenaline high out of dangerous game at close range I will not argue that this is really exciting moment. Predator call out and blowing , gets the bear's attention right now and in most cases they will move right towards me. Interesting to note that they will generally stop if you stop calling and after a few seconds actually seem to lose interest in some instances, in others, prepare to repel boarders.

Notice that you, as the caller, may not get a broadside shot, front under the chin is pretty much it. SO be armed appropriately. This is why for bow hunters its a team sport. I've seen 45-70, 7x57, 9.3x62, 44 and 454 and 12ga slugs all work perfectly with good bullets, penetration either complete or several feet into the bear. Oh, DRT, not so much, bears seem excited and turn and run off after the shot. If you don't want to shoot that bear, just stand up and yell at it, this alone is worth the effort and I've done this a hell of a lot more than shoot. (It may actually be more fun.) This would probably be the definitive "is this a grizz" test...

One last bit. I've never made much of a "camo" effort on this, far less than for coyotes. Cover your face and hands, sit still and be ready to shoot and even right out in the open, no issues with the bear not wanting to come a little closer. And the call didn't seem to matter, $5.00 Talley Ho works as good as anything else.

Very informative post, thanks

I don't think I would do it up here in NW Montana or down around Yellowstone either. We did it in Idaho years ago and it worked good for blackies, if they were fairly close. We never had one come in blind calling. When they came they had food on their mind. They kind of threw caution to the wind. I would hate to try to change a griz's mind about whether I was good to eat or not. They are a pretty focused predator. We used the Carlton Bear call and the blackies got really tuned up. We had one come in that kept working in down wind and getting our scent and it would run off, but when we got back on that call it would come right back in even though it had winded us. We called it back in four times. I wouldn't use it in griz country myself.

Very interesting and informative post. Like you, I hunt black bears with a handgun (Remington XP 100 in 7mm 08 calibre).
It's very easy, from my experience hunting with a handgun, to approach bears within handgun range. While I haven't tried calling (yet), I'm sure it can be very effective, especially when you focus your efforts in suitable, productive areas. It's always good to hear from experienced bear hunters who not only hunt with a handgun but also know what they're talking about in regards to the 'problem of rubbed hides'. Sorry that I didn't catch your post sooner.

Last edited:
I'm not the most experienced bear hunter, but I can't see myself wanting to call in griz country. I like spot and stalk. It's fun to put some glass on clear cuts and grassy slopes, and the added benefit is being able to identify your target before you get closer.

Paul,

Have you found a difference in calling effectiveness in spring vs. fall bear hunting?

I really couldn't give you an informed answer as I've put little or no effort into fall bear hunting over the years because of work and the temptations of upland birds, antelope and deer in the eastern (not exactly overrun with bears) part of the state. Bears spotted while elk hunting around home, Livingston, are going to have to be really special in order for me to give up a few days of elk hunting to deal with a bear. So far that hasn't happened, though I've regretted it a couple of times.

I would venture to guess that bears being bears (a stomach with various other organs attached to serve the needs of the stomach) food is always going to be a priority and a potentially easy meal will never go uninvestigated.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back