garden seeds

Well, it's been a while.
How's the garden growing?
My chile plants did ok, moruga scorpions were very hard to get past germination. Blossom drop all summer on my ghost and scorpions, they don't like our night time temps.
My mild and mediums are doing great. Tomatoes are off the hook, just late ripening.
My first moruga scorpion fruit. I'll be bringing the plant in at night now, what a pain,lol.

DSCN1623 (960x720).jpg

Radishes are done and gone. Have eaten a couple zucchini and shredded then froze a couple more, have eaten a couple cukes and halepeno's. The tomatoes are loaded and some are starting to ripen. The corn is tasseled out and the pumpkins are about soccer ball sized.

Went all in on the garden this year. We are doing the Mittleider approach, raised beds, specific watering, weekly fertilizer, and a lot of vertical growing. I was building the beds and irrigation set up, then we went on vacation, so we didn't get things in until the second week of June, but it is going gangbusters. I have 10 tomato plants over 6 feet tall, several loaded with fruit. Have a squash variety growing vertically that is hitting the 8 foot mark with a lot of squash. I like canning and pickles, so we have about 30 cucumber plants all growing vertically (some pushing 6 ft tall); just starting to harvest our first cucumbers from those. Spaced out my corn into 3 plantings, and the tallest is about 5 ft tall and getting tassles. Hoping the long hot September gets me into harvesting all that corn. Also have lettuce, squash, zucchini, onions, peppers, potatoes and pumpkins going. Doing a lot of pruning to manage the plants and am pretty pleased with the results. Hoping to get some fall plantings of spinach and more lettuce.

Anything started in Az. past March bursts into flames.Growing season here doesn't start until Sept. or when it cools down to 100'f or lower.Planting indoors or covered is ok in Sept.or after.Although our ranch down south usually has corn 5' tall for the opener of Dove season.:cool:

Been doing lots of gardening this summer including weekly classes for kids in the Laramie area. Corn is getting close, kale is doing great, tomatoes are producing, and the carrots are starting to get big. Experimenting with using a blend of biochar and compost in containers due to the local soil being terrible, not to mention being over 7k ft and still having temps in the 30's in late July. Hopefully the weather warms up and I get to taste some of this corn in a couple of weeks.

IMG_0426.jpg
IMG_0423.jpg

Been doing lots of gardening this summer including weekly classes for kids in the Laramie area. Corn is getting close, kale is doing great, tomatoes are producing, and the carrots are starting to get big. Experimenting with using a blend of biochar and compost in containers due to the local soil being terrible, not to mention being over 7k ft and still having temps in the 30's in late July. Hopefully the weather warms up and I get to taste some of this corn in a couple of weeks.

View attachment 85433
View attachment 85434

Thanks for getting our youngsters involved locally . I've been gardening with mixed results for about 25 years in Laramie. Let's just say some things just won't grow like they did back in Texas.
My tomatoes are producing too and good yield on my various green chiles. Shallots did well and carrots look great right. Just hoping we don't get an early freeze on the hops. Close last night.
The scorpions have been a pain to figure out but photoperiod and temps have been an issue I think I have under control now.
Finally getting some fruits on them, I have about 12 now and more blossoms maturing.

DSCN1662 (960x720).jpgDSCN1653 (960x720).jpg

You are right about last night. Frost on the roof of the house and windshields at 6:30, but the plants are OK. That was close.

I Am not familiar with the scorpions had to look them up. "Straight from the depths of Hell" was the title for one description, LOL. Sounds hot!

Our jalapenos are doing great, we donated some them as well as cale, corn, tomatoes, and squash to Feeding Laramie Valley last week. IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

And these little moss roses were looking so good this morning I figured I better take a pic.
IMG_0485.jpg

Sometime I hope we cross paths as I'd love to absorb some of the 25 years of gardening knowledge you have obtained in Laramie. It's certainly a challenge but there are quite a few gardeners in town and we have a lot of fun coping with the difficult conditions. Next year we are going to expand the youth garden programs to include more kids and activities.

Took a few pics of my garden project. We have already put up 50 quart jars of pickles and have gallons of shredded zucchini and squash in the freezer. Corn is coming along too. Fun stuff.
20180807_182432.jpg

20180806_193122.jpg

Wow, lots of great climbing for those plants, and it looks great! What kind of corn did you go with?

We did some experimenting this summer.
Yukon Chief 55 day is just finishing up. Small ears but good and we are getting 3-5 ears per plant. Did not have great germination, even in June. Dwarf corn that can handle the wind/weather.
Yukon Supreme 55 day is getting close, it was planted about 3 weeks later. Looks like 2-3 ears per plant. Much better germination than the Yukon Chief. Also a dwarf corn that can handle the wind/weather.
Fishers Earliest 70 day corn is also getting close (planted at same time as Yukon Chief). This is more of a typical sweet corn but somewhat short. We are getting 2-3 ears which will be normal sized.
Mandan Bride Indian corn from North Dakota is getting close. This is a flint corn and what we plan to use with the kids for Halloween decorations along with pumpkins and squash.

Nice setup, your garden is bigger than my backyard!
I have room for peppers, tomatoes, shallots, garlic , potatoes and carrots. All either also in raised beds or pots. Not near as many as you can grow either.

Those Trinidad moruga scorpions can get up to 2,000,000 scoville. Hoping mine are close to 1,000,000. They may show up downtown in a chile beer.
I will use my ghost peppers to make spicy sea salt, smoked and plain.

I am not positive on the corn variety. We bought the seed local from a grower. It is called Peaches and Cream. I did three staggered plantings, but couldn't get it in the ground until the second week of June. The first planting is just starting to put on ears, but some of those plants are 9 feet tall! I hope we have enough summer left to get the corn through. Lots of experimenting for us this tear as we are pretty new to gardening. I am really enjoying it.

I am not positive on the corn variety. We bought the seed local from a grower. It is called Peaches and Cream.

I've been planting Peaches and Cream for three years now and it's unquestionably the best table corn you can get. I usually set the seed 8" apart and rows are about 30" apart or so, affording just enough room for a small tiller. When the plants get about shoulder to head high I'll sow some 34-0-0 as top dresser as near to the roots as possible and then with a hoe I'll pull dirt from the middles up to cover the nitrogen. If not expecting rain within a few days I'll irrigate it to melt the nitrogen right away. The dirt also helps give the stabilizer roots something to grow into for when the winds come. For best germination the corn needs to be planted in a square patch instead of a couple of long rows. when it starts pollinating I'll go around the edge of the patch and cross the tassels over each other and shake as much pollen as possible so the outside plants produce well also.

Being in a more moderate climate my corn is usually in the ground by mid April if I'm sure there is no more danger of frost and it's in the freezer around July 1st. My cukes have given up the ghost, squash was done a month ago but am still getting cantaloupes, carrots, beets, peppers and tomatoes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back