Caribou Gear Tarp

New to archery. Good starter bow for around $500

smorgado

Haven't shot archery in about 12 years. Looking to get into to extend my hunting season. Looking at the Bear or Cabelas Bowtech RTH lines. Any thoughts? And gear suggesttions are greatly appreciated

Assuming you've got your draw length and all that sorted out already. Take a good look at used bows. You can get 2-3 year old bows for half price(ish) from the guys who upgrade all the time. This is especially true if you fall into the common specs (27.5-28.5 draw) which lets you shoot a shorter ATA bow a lot easier.

As for gear, I like cable drive rests, but shot a whisker biscuit for a long time too and it never failed. For a release, I strongly recommend a hook style release so that you can attach it to your D-loop without looking down at it. Sights, I can't say much, I'm currently in the market for a new one. The only feature I won't give up is 3rd axis for steep country like the pioneers. Good Luck and enjoy the ride!

Stay away from the big box stores if you can. Try and find a good shop near you and go in and shoot bows. They might be able to help you find a good used bow for the same price as the cheaper bows in at the big box. They will also be able to make sure you are tuned well; which should help you get back into it faster, and with minimal frustration.

Every bow (only a couple) I've ever bought was the top of the line bow from a few years prior, and I bought them two or three years old, and fully set up for about that price.

My current bow is a Bowtech Guardian, so its definitely a few years old now, but when I bought it it was going on its second or third summer and I paid $450 for it, completely setup. That sure beat paying ~800 for a bare bow.

Might be worth checking around. There are plenty of guys who think they need and get a new bow every or every other year, so there are plenty out there for sale.

Go check the biggest archery shops around you. You might be able to get a really great deal on a new year or two old top of the line model they have left over.

I'll echo going to a shop...getting a bow tuned and setup is generally included in the purchase whereas buying online means anywhere from a $15-75 fee to tune. I honestly don't trust Cabelas to have the staff to be able to do the work (I could be wrong). I have found Scheels stores to have good archery guys though.

If you don't like the used bow route, the Hoyt Charger is what I have and has been a great bow to me so far. Comes around $500 fully outfitted including a soft case and warranty. Mathews has a line of cheaper bows called Mission. They're the same tech as their top of the line bows but cheaper materials, similar to my Hoy Charger.

I'll echo the part about going to small, local bow shops. Those guys have a lot of expertise and are usually willing to go above and beyond to teach you about what you need in a bow to fit your needs. Goodluck!

I bought my wife a Hoyt Ignite. It is a bow with a long range of draw weight and length similar to the Mission bows and whatnot. I found it at my local bow shop. It was $399 as a package with a quiver, sight, and rest. The shop set it up to her specs and gave her a lesson to get her started with good form and it was a great experience. They have gotten a lot of business from me, and this just confirms my like for the shop and I send all of my friends there. You get way better service at the small shops.

THAnks for all the info guys. I went the used route. Got a Bowtech Defender VFT. It's an older bow but got it for 200.

Whatever you end up getting just remember that The key is you have to put in the time practicing. Because the top of the line bows are only as good as the archer behind them

Fred Bear has quality RTH bows for that price. Also PSE.
I prefer Bear.

I was going to suggest a last-year PSE, but it appears you already got a Bowtech. Good luck! And start shooting now if you plan on hunting next year. The earlier the better. Bowhunting is great, but I also like things that go "bang".

I just got my first compound bow a week ago. I've been shooting and bowhunting with longbows and recurves for 30 years, but due to a bout of tendonitis, I figure its either compound, or no bowhunting this year (which really is not an option). I picked up a 2013 Hoyt Sypder 34 on a forum for 300 bucks. It simply amazed me how quickly compounds depreciate in value! The used route was definitely the way to go.

Lots of bowfishing guys swear by Oneida. JP Morris (Bass pro) bought them out. It's an odd hybrid that is never shoot, but apparently they're pretty popular with bowfishing guys. I know it's too late now.

Back