DIY Lion Hunting?

Kiwi

For me the best thing about hunting North America is the chance to dream about hunting a new species and then occasionally making it happen DIY with hunting friends. I've done two amazing hunts in Wyoming the last two years that until recently I never thought I’d ever be able to do. This year I'm heading to Alberta to try for archery bear and moose.

Anyway, now I am looking at DIY mountain lion hunting. I know this hunting is normally with dogs but is there a way to realistically hunt lion with out dogs? Maybe a predator call or over a gut pile? Also any recommendations on the best state / area to hunt would be appreciated.

I might end up going with a guide but only if OYO isn't realistic.

Thanks!

I would put your harvest odds at .0000001%. I'm saying there's a chance...

Two ways I have heard lions are killed: over dogs, and opportunity harvests. I have only seen 2 lions in my life, and not for want of trying.

Wherever you go you will want to check laws on baiting, I'm not aware of anywhere you can do that. I am not even sure if it would even be practical.

I suggest you get the guide.

If you can find hot sign then perhaps calling would work but with their home range being so large pretty hit and miss. Good dogs are the way to go, guide will keep you on legal ground, not trespassing on private.

I don't know people in South Dakota do it every year. We are not allowed to use dogs for the most part and our quota still get met. It is definitely possible to do it on your own.

Possible, but probably one of the hardest to do in the manner your wanting to try. A late season hunt near some deer wintering grounds would be a start. My pard has killed 3 in ID this way while chukar hunting or on his way to/from chukar hunting. One his dog pointed for him! :D

The only way I can imagine getting this done would be to scour areas and look for a fresh lion kill, and then sit on it. Low percentage at best. I have heard of guys stumbling on a kill, running into town to buy a Lion tag, and then they just sit on the kill to see if they come back in the next couple of days.

I am aware of one person who has tracked one without dogs and killed it, but that dude spends more time in the woods than pretty much anyone I know, and if anyone was going to do it, he would.

One perspective from 1 year...take it for what it's worth

We used to hunt elk and deer based out of my in-laws family's ranch (since sold). In 2009, We covered 3 basins in their entirety from Archery season to Thanksgiving late rifle. 4 people walking miles a day for probably 15-20 days apiece over the course of 3 months. We saw a handful of cat tracks, 1 fresh kill, and 0 lions. My uncle-in-law has lived, worked and traipsed around on the mountain for 70 years and has seen a handful of lions (his un-scientific answer to that question is 'less than I can count on one hand').

The neighbor ran lion dogs as a hobby. In 2009, He got serious about it, got an outfitter license, and caught 5 toms (4 were killed, so they were at least 4 different cats) in the same 3 basins in 3 weeks.

It can certainly be done, but if you really want to catch a lion, go with a houndsman.

It would be nearly impossible to hunt a mountain lion without using dogs. Even if you found a track in snow you would have no way to determinte how fresh it was. You could follow it for days and never catch up to the cat. It would have no reason to tree up without dogs chasing it.
In over 45 years of hunting I have only seen 3 mt lions. Every year we see fresh kill sites but have never seen those particular lions.
Hunting them with dogs is the only way to go to have an opportunity to harvest cat.

Thanks for the comments! Excellent info. Amazing that so few lions are seen, just shows you what awesome predators they are.

I will can the idea of a DIY lion hunt and look at using an outfitter if I do go lion hunting. Had a look at a few at the lower price range and will start saving!

Thanks for the comments! Excellent info. Amazing that so few lions are seen, just shows you what awesome predators they are.

I will can the idea of a DIY lion hunt and look at using an outfitter if I do go lion hunting. Had a look at a few at the lower price range and will start saving!

An enterprising Kiwi might see if he could work out a "hunt exchange" with a houndsman who would like to hunt NZ......just a thought;)

Great idea! If there are any houndsmen out there wanting to hunt New Zealand get in touch! I can take you deer (red, fallow, sika), tahr or chamois hunting :)

Hardest hunts in Montana in this order:
( my opinion only)

No dog mountain lion.

Archery 190+" mountain muley in general district.

Unlimited Bighorn sheep.

Wolf

As for outfitted lion.. there's some good hunts you could do. Lookup J&J Outfitting in Utah

I have access to dogs and I can't ever find a damn track to chase!

Same here. I hunted probably 20 mornings this winter with two average hounds and only found two lion tracks. One was really fresh and the other older. Each day I covered from 4 to 25 plus miles in a morning, mostly right after fresh snowfalls. I do find lots of bobcats in the area I hunt, which make for some good races.

I'll add my .02 cents worth. I too had went years where I never saw a Mountain lion.

Then my luck (if you will) changed drastically.

I have called in many lions while archery elk hunting and so have many of my friends. I have sat wallows and had lions come in to hunt the same wallow.

I have called in Several Mountain Lions with Predators calls. Up to date I have taken more lions without dogs than with.

This year while cold trailing a lion (using dogs) we followed the trail into a rocky draw area. The cat tracks we were on had came through in the early dark hours and it was now afternoon. As we approached the cliffy rocky draw, the dogs went wild, I told Rocky Dog, that I thought the dogs just came upon the cat sleeping in the Cliff ledges. Almost as if on cue the cat came bounding down the mountain between where Rocky, and myself were standing and another buddy. The dogs right on the cats arse. Rocky Took the cat after a brief run. The point was that we trailed the cat right up to his bed after around a hour of cold trailing. So no call was necessary just basic tracking skills.
Cat taken with calls on top, cat taken with dogs after cold trailing on bottoml: PC060465resize.jpgP2070796.jpg

If you can find a lion kill and stake it out you stand a good chance of finding a lion. But, I'd say that Minnesotahunter has given the best advice yet. I'd keep working that angle as most guys who are not guides, but own and hunt with hounds love to catch cats for friends. And I'm guessing that anyone with as much experience with tahr, chamois, and red deer as you have, won't have much trouble making friends. :)

We were hunting with dogs on this hunt, but I walked this day old track out for two miles before I found him sleeping in his bed. We used the dog to catch him, but I was 30 yards away before he got up and I turned the dog loose. I could have shot him with a bow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWXPdKNPXjE

I know a few other guys who have killed lions without dogs. This year I was right behind a cat that I jumped out of its bed and had it circling around trying to make me lose the track. I eventually gave up because was tired and we knew it was a smaller cat so we never turned the hounds out.

Last edited:
The answer is yes, you can hunt lions on foot successfully. A very good friend figured out how he could.He has quite a few on his wall. I can't share much information, but a little. He lives in a state where no dogs are allow to hunt for lions. Wintering deer or elk. Crusty snow with new snow on top. Find tracks. Good physical condition. No unnecessary noise. The lions rarely climb trees in these conditions. Many times they go into a evergreen well or cave. He goes into the well under the big tree with a flashlight an a pistol. I don't think he does it any more though. And I don't care if you believe it.

Well, thanks for posting the photos and video......I have a spot available this May to hunt tahr & chamois in a NZ wilderness area :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back