Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Hello from Germany

Do you guys have a big meal together before or after the hunt? Having a big group and celebrating the hunt sure looks like fun. A few beers after sure would be good too.

It may sound a bit stupid for an american hunter...
Whats about your "upland hunting"?
It is to compare with our hunt on small game? Shoot you only birds at this type of hunting or rabbits and predetors too?
How many hunters are there usually?
This is mainly done on private land? Where the game is fed or even bred for the hunt as it is often done in the UK?
Or is it also common on public land?

Last edited:
Hunting can be very different and complicated here depending on where you are. Wildlife here belong to the public, and are managed by the states for all citizens, so the state sets limits on numbers of game you can shoot that apply to both public and private land in most cases.

Public land is open to everyone. Private land can only be hunted with permission. Some landowners charge a fee, some do not.

I live in Montana, so my frame of reference is western US hunting. Upland hunting usually refers to birds here, but some people hunt rabbits as well. Shooting multiple species of birds is common during a single hunt, but shooting rabbits and predators and birds at the same time is not so common. They usually require different techniques or occupy different areas, so are hunted individually. Driven hunts are not common here, because the areas can be very large. Upland hunting is often done with 1 to 3 people, and dogs. The people walk the cover and the dogs will work out in front to point or flush the game.

Mostly we hunt wild animals. Some states will also release captive reared pheasants to add to the wild birds, but mostly the animals are wild and free roaming.

Hopefully that helps with your questions. Maybe others who have different upland experience will have more to add.

Welcome! My father's family came from Germany to America around 1870 and settled in Arkansas then migrated north to Missouri after a generation. We have apple orchards in Missouri along the largest river there. Many of the family names of my classmates were German as is my last name. I would hear German being spoken by older adults when I was a young boy in the 1960s and German was offered in our school. My town had a German language school for about 30 years but that was closed when America entered The Great War and never opened again. During The Great War, people would come to our town and break the expensive glass windows of the merchants with German names as well as the butcher shop as most butchers in the Midwest were German. Some stores were set on fire but the violence ended soon after The Great War ended.

I would suggest hunting pronghorn in Wyoming as you can draw a tag to hunt a pronghorn buck with a rifle and then get another tag or two to hunt pronghorn does. Wyoming is what I think of as the American West which is tall mountains in the distance with sagebrush meadows near the flatter areas. Some think of the American West as the southwestern states such as Texas, New Mexico and Arizona which are also nice but lack the taller mountains of Wyoming, Colorado, Montana and Idaho.

I look forward to hearing more about your adventures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back