Spring bears spot and stalk

Westside

Howdy everyone, first time poster here,

New member from Oregon, I've been hunting Blacktails and roseies for years but have decided to make an honest effort with spring bears, I have a good tag and will be hunting the from the North Cascades out of Springfield, Or. I have no dought I can find bears (I actually work in the Cascades and see bears often), I am not seeking a record book bear just a nice mature boar. My biggest concern is boars vs. sows, obviously I'll be looking for cubs but what are the tell tale features of a sow vs. a boar, I'd be sick forever if I mistakenly took a sow after not locating the Cubs. I plan to glass large clearcuts, natural openings in the higher elevations if snow allows and stalk in for a shot. Pics or other thoughts help would be appreciated,

Big fin if you read this I appreciate what you and​ how you do it, i really enjoy your shows.

It is going to be very difficult to do if you have not seen many bears and been able to put your hands on them. Certainly size will be a helpful indicator, bigger being the boar. Females tend to have a narrower, maybe flatter head. I have heard that the sows will take steps in a more forward fashion, and the boars will kind of throw their legs out to the side and the forward, but I have not seen this to be true in my experience. If you can get some time on a bear before it gets lost in the bushes, I think you can see an attitude difference in the boars. More of a "this is my land, i don't care" presence for a bear. It's kinda hard to explain. I would focus on looking for a bigger bear.

Boars tend to be bigger in the shoulders and sows bigger in the hind quarters in comparison to each other. Boars will also tend to have a bit longer body. But like people they all a little different shape and size.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
runoutdoors
Back