Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

3rd Axis Adjustments or Angle Adjusting Rangefinders

Wisco

Hi guys, just wondering your thoughts on how to combine the tech from rangefinders and sights. It seems like people are interested in the 3rd axis adjustable sights for those uphill/downhill shots... is this to be used in place of an angle adjusting rangefinder? Or alongside it? It seems like they accomplish the same goal so would I be better off just buying any old 5 pins sight with 2 axis adjustability and a good angle adjusting rangefinder or buying any old rangefinder and using a 3rd axis adjustable sight?

Any thoughts and perhaps the sight/rangefinder combo you use would be much appreciated, thanks!

The bowsight 3rd axis and its effects have to do with accuracy at extreme uphill and downhill shots. I've never been accurate enough to even worry about adjusting it. The only time I considered adjusting it was for my ibex hunt in the Floridas of NM where extreme elevation shots are likely.

Most good rangefinders have angle compensation built in nowadays. Until you get seriously extreme angles, the ranges are basically the same as horizontal.

These two features have almost nothing to do with each other except for their end objective: an accurate shot at extreme angles. You cannot substitute one for the other. They are complementary. If I could only have one, I'd pick a angle compensating rangefinder. It doesn't matter how finely you can tune a bow if you can't range a target.

Angle Compensating rangefinder gives you the horizontal range to the target and tells you which pin to use, or where to dial your sight.

3rd Axis adjustment makes sure that you're not missing left or right when you are aiming up or down, even if you're dead on for a level shot. It makes more and more of a difference the longer of a shot.

Think of 3rd axis as making your sight bubble true at all angles. Nothing to do with range of target. If you use your sight level and shoot angles (up, down hill, tree stand), or long distance (bow angled up) then you want a sight with 3rd axis and know how to set it up. It really makes a difference in your left and right groups. Now if you don't use your bubble level, don't worry about 3rd axis. Check out YouTube, good videos about it.
I'll never buy a bow sight again without 3rd axis.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back