Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Oryx roast

Lostinthewoods

I've got an oryx roast and I am dying to do something with it.
I've cooked the steaks and ground, but I want to make sure I can prepare this the best way possible.

Do you think this is something that I can just throw in a smoker as a stand alone?
Or should I wrap it in bacon and add a little fat to the mix?

Anyone have any recipes they want to share?

I have never did a roast. On steaks, usually wrapped with bacon. Oryx is very lean and cools rapidly. I wish I could give better advice.

Might try a Hank Shaw recipe?

I know nothing about oryx, other than everyone says it's phenomenal.

I have not heard of the Hank Shaw recipe, but it looks great. Thank you for sharing!
Oryx is definitely very tasty!!!

I have never did a roast. On steaks, usually wrapped with bacon. Oryx is very lean and cools rapidly. I wish I could give better advice.

Im almost wondering if I should just cut it into steaks. Or maybe cube it and wrap it with bacon.
I think the idea of smoking it is really good, but my last roast isn't really what I want to use as a test subject.
Now I am just scaring myself out of it, haha.

Sous vide it. You don't need a fancy machine or vacuum sealer (but they help). Season, bag it, beer cooler with hot water and accurate thermometer, cook it a few hours, finish on the grill. Simple. Tender. Delicious.

roll the thing in salt and pepper, maybe some rosemary and thyme. put it in the smoker to about 135. slice and enjoy.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but I also have some elk roasts that I have not attempted yet. If put in the smoker, which I also very rarely use, what do I need the internal meat temp to be when it is done? I will search this forum for some recipes as well.

Perfect. Leftovers (yeah right) would make one hell of a french dip.

That turned out to be one of the best things I've ever eaten......
You're correct about the leftovers (HA!) but if I ever do another roast the french dip idea sounds great.
Thanks for all of the recommendations!

Wow that looks good ! Can you give us some details of how you cooked it? Weight, temp, time, etc

Wow that looks good ! Can you give us some details of how you cooked it? Weight, temp, time, etc

Sorry for the delay.
I weighed it at 2.75lbs.

I brought the internal temp to 135. (which I don't think took more than three hours)
Then I brought it into the house and immediately seared it in butter on both sides, wrapped it in tin foil, then a towel, and stuck it in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes.

It turned out GREAT!

Back