NW Montana Backpack Hunting

hucklberryMT

I have been having a great time hunting the Cabinet Mountains. I have seen so much bear sign up there that I bought a bear tag this year. Anyone want to get out and do some backpack bear hunting in the Cabinet / Yaak for spring bear?

Unfortunately I won't be heading to thT side of the state for bear season this year but I sure can't wait to get out!

How's the snow situation looking over there?

Unfortunately I won't be heading to that side of the state for bear season this year but I sure can't wait to get out!

How's the snow situation looking over there?

It has been a high snowfall year an another 19" just dropped in the last 72 hours. There is likely going to be snow in the high country into the summer.

Can anyone provide input on when bears generally emerge from their dens or provide dates when they have seen bears? Location specific to southern Canada or northern Montana/Idaho.

In Wyoming I have went in on snow machines and found bear real early. If it's been warm and there are any bare spots there can be Bears. I Think the big Bruins come out first, also it doesn't really have to be green to provide feed. If the south facing slope has even a small area that has melted off and it's been a little warm it will have shoots of grass coming up. There are likely bears out now

Great, thank you for the information. I'll be out Easter Sunday and planning an early May backpack hunt with a buddy.

Can anyone provide input on when bears generally emerge from their dens or provide dates when they have seen bears? Location specific to southern Canada or northern Montana/Idaho.

In north central Idaho, generally by the third or last week of February. This year (2017) I observed three bears during several preseason scouting trips by the last week of February. An IDF&G biologist in Lewiston, Idaho once suggested black bears in this area may emerge from hibernation even sooner though my thirty-five years of hunting bears in the Nez Perce/Clearwater National Forest have not produced sightings earlier than the first week of February.

^Hey thanks for the good information Hannibal.

You're welcome. However, I erred in telling you that my earliest sighting or sightings occurred during the first week of February. My earliest sighting occurred on February the 9th, the second week in February, many years ago while acting on a 'hot tip' from a Clearwater NF Service employee about a bear emerging from its' den. It was a day and date I won't easily forget.

You're welcome. However, I erred in telling you that my earliest sighting or sightings occurred during the first week of February. My earliest sighting occurred on February the 9th, the second week in February, many years ago while acting on a 'hot tip' from a Clearwater NF Service employee about a bear emerging from its' den. It was a day and date I won't easily forget.

Wow Hannibal, that is early! Was it a normal snow year or what?

For a season recap I only hunted 7 days. Saw a lot of sows with cubs and no shooters. The highlight was treeing two cinnamon cubs at about 40 yards it was so thick I never saw mama. Debating going down to HD 200 this weekend if anyone wants to go please let me know. It has been so hot I wonder if most bears are be rubbed by now and it might be better to get a fat huckleberry bear in the fall.

Wow Hannibal, that is early! Was it a normal snow year or what?

For a season recap I only hunted 7 days. Saw a lot of sows with cubs and no shooters. The highlight was treeing two cinnamon cubs at about 40 yards it was so thick I never saw mama. Debating going down to HD 200 this weekend if anyone wants to go please let me know. It has been so hot I wonder if most bears are be rubbed by now and it might be better to get a fat huckleberry bear in the fall.
The IDF&G biologist that I referred to actually stated that he believed bears in the Clearwater region may not hibernate, a surprising statement in my opinion, though one which I'm certainly not qualified to contest. I generally begin my preseason scouting in mid to late February and as I've stated in prior posts my season generally ends by late April. Aside from the issue of pelt quality there are other advantages in hunting black bears earlier in the spring season such as the ability to locate them more easily due to snow and the added benefit of fewer hunters and less competition. I learned my lesson a very long time ago regarding pelt quality. You can avoid rubbed pelts by not hunting black bears during the latter part of the spring season. Mange, well that's another matter which I unfortunately have encountered and which you'll eventually encounter in your hunt for spring black bears. It's good to see that you've been successful sighting bears, to me the most important and exciting part of spring bear hunting. Continue to focus your search efforts in the heavily timbered areas. Good luck on your hunt.

Last edited:
The IDF&G biologist that I referred to actually stated that he believed bears in the Clearwater region may not hibernate, a surprising statement in my opinion, though one which I'm certainly not qualified to contest. I generally begin my preseason scouting in mid to late February and as I've stated in prior posts my season generally ends by late April. Aside from the issue of pelt quality there are other advantages in hunting black bears earlier in the spring season such as the ability to locate them more easily due to snow and the added benefit of fewer hunters and less competition. I learned my lesson a very long time ago regarding pelt quality. You can avoid rubbed pelts by not hunting black bears during the latter part of the spring season. Mange, well that's another matter which I unfortunately have encountered and which you'll eventually encounter in your hunt for spring black bears. It's good to see that you've been successful sighting bears, to me the most important and exciting part of spring bear hunting. Continue to focus your search efforts in the heavily timbered areas. Good luck on your hunt.

Thank Hannibal, I really enjoyed a having you in this conversation. Take Care

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back