Elk shanks

Gr8bawana

I cooked up some shanks from my cow elk and they turned out fantastic.
Seasoned and floured them before browning very well. Then cooked in a crockpot with onions, carrots, mushrooms, a few spices for about 5 hours.
They were very tender and the marrow was delicious as well.
I can't believe we have been wasting such delicious meat into ground meat or sausage.

0309171008-01.jpg
0309171038-00.jpg
0309171751-00.jpg

Shanks are one of my favorite cuts. I boned the shanks on my bull this year as I was too lazy to saw. Made Hank Shaw's Oso Bucco from Buck Buck Moose. 4.5 hours and the meat was super tender.

Thank you. With your knowledge of Oryx, I was thinking NMSU. I have nieces and great nieces and nephews that went and are going to College Station. There was a great and do mean great barbeque place there in the early 90's, I do not remember the name. Urban something,

Last edited:
In Lao he name of the cuts that come off the shank are "kah lai" roughly meaning leg very much. And so they are. The shank isn't really cut as we know it but separated into muscle groups and sold for a premium at the market. Some of the higher priced cut from a freshly butchered cow. The muscles which are slim and tight are cut across the grain into wafer thin slices and placed uncooked on top of the bowls of steaming hot pho to let the heat of the water in the bowl alone do the cooking. Of late I'm lazy and just use the band saw to cut across the entire foreleg, muscles bones and all, to make more conventional cuts. I use very little of an elk for hamburger.

The region of Texas w/in about a hour drive from Bryan/College Station has the best BBQ in the world. Hill Country is a close second.

I'm by no means oryx knowledgable. I've seen a few from a truck window. Wish I could draw a tag. Helped a buddy butcher one. Delicious meat, possibly the best game I've ever had. Randy says the problem with pronghorn is they don't make them big enough. Well, they do, and it's a 600 lbs antelope called a gemsbock.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back