MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

LA Time Opinion Piece by Yvon Chouinard

Irrelevant

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-chouinard-federal-lands-20170309-story.html

"Some 91% of Westerners agree that national parks, forests, wildlife refuges and other federal lands are essential to their state’s economic prosperity, but Americans who support protecting public lands are badly splintered. Hunters and anglers love and value our public lands, but the “hook and bullet” crowd scares off environmentalists and some businesspeople. Environmentalists love and value our public lands, but hardcore activists scare off most businesspeople and some hunters and anglers. Businesspeople love and value our public lands, but lots of folks get skeptical when corporations are involved in advocacy."

Yes, Yes, and Yes. Unfortunately.

Good article. The only part I didn't agree with was where he said "Some argue that oil and gas jobs would multiply if more lands were opened for development, but in reality, those jobs are being replaced by robots". I work for a pipeline and I don't see anyone's job being replaced by a robot anytime soon. Otherwise it was really well written and it's good to see it in such a major publication.

I tend to think the general claim about jobs being taken be technology (i.e. robots) is to be pretty true for all job and all sectors. Working for an engineering firm as the software technology has increases we can do more with less labor. We are pumping out substantially more "work" now than when I started but with the same number of people.

Beyond the Bears Ears public relations position can someone show me where Patagonia has demonstrated support for public land access and efforts to build cooperation among environmentalists, hook & bullet (love that term) and corporate interests? Nature Conservancy, RMEF and DU have demonstrated ability to build bridges. Patagonia issues press release, gives our governor an ultimatum and reacts with indignation.

Here is their website. http://www.patagonia.com/the-activist-company.html

If Yvon would like to demonstrate leadership on this issue; organizing and funding a Public Lands Access - Conservation - Responsible Use summit with the three groups noted would be proactive and positive. Or he can do another interview.

Not really,but he was good at marketing to a chunk of market. We just so happen to enjoy the same lands. Bet he's a TU guy.

I tend to think the general claim about jobs being taken be technology (i.e. robots) is to be pretty true for all job and all sectors. Working for an engineering firm as the software technology has increases we can do more with less labor. We are pumping out substantially more "work" now than when I started but with the same number of people.

This has been going on for centuries and seems to be accelerating. Usually these lost jobs are offset by jobs in the service industry as lower cost of goods means more money to spend on services.

As far as the article I tend to agree with what he said but it's probably overly simplistic and optimistic about how all those groups can manage to work together. Although, I never thought I would want to join a group affiliated with AFL-CIO but here we are. I guess if NRA can team up with ACLU then anything is possible.

Good article, and he is exactly right. The normal way of doing business used to be finding common ground with others and getting things done that everyone could agree with. We now pick and choose the things we don't agree on and hold those up as reasons not to find common ground. I can't think of a dumber way to try to get things done.

Beyond the Bears Ears public relations position can someone show me where Patagonia has demonstrated support for public land access and efforts to build cooperation among environmentalists, hook & bullet (love that term) and corporate interests? Nature Conservancy, RMEF and DU have demonstrated ability to build bridges. Patagonia issues press release, gives our governor an ultimatum and reacts with indignation.

If Yvon would like to demonstrate leadership on this issue; organizing and funding a Public Lands Access - Conservation - Responsible Use summit with the three groups noted would be proactive and positive. Or he can do another interview.

Well, clicking on the link you provided took me to information about some of their grants programs, through which they annually support various environmental, wildlife and public access groups nationally and internationally. Recipients in Montana include Cottonwood Law Center (representing sportsmen's groups in some of the bighorn sheep and access litigation), Blackfoot Challenge (a public/private effort with collaboration from many groups to protect habitat on the Rocky Mountain Front), Public Land/Water Access Association (PLWA, speaks for itself), among some other grassroots coalitions and committees that bring together folks with a variety of backgrounds to try to work on local conservation issues. There were "enviro" groups on the list, but there were plenty of others that are real allies in public access and sportsmen's issues on the list too. So yeah, I'd say he does more than issue press releases.

The list of grants, programs, and partnerships on the website is long and I don't have time to do all the research - suffice it to say there's a lot of info found in there that would answer your question if you bother to look.

Your willful ignorance is impressive. I am pretty sure Yvon has done far more for hunting, the environment, and fishing than you have.

Everything they do drives $$$ back to the lands we all hunt and fish on. And the groups that protect them.

These groups often have less than five paid staffers; some are run entirely by volunteers. Instead of giving large sums to a handful of causes, we give modest grants—which typically range between $2,500 - $15,000—to hundreds of groups every year for whom this money makes a world of difference.

As a company that uses resources and produces waste, we recognize our impact on the environment and feel a responsibility to give back. For us, it’s not charity or traditional philanthropy. It’s part of the cost of doing business. We call it our Earth Tax.

Just last year.....

By the Numbers:
Quantifying Our Environmental & Social Work in Fiscal Year 2016 (May 1, 2015-April 30, 2016)

7.1 MILLION: Dollars donated to fund environmental work
78 MILLION: Dollars and in-kind services we’ve donated since we started our tithing program in 1985
824: Environmental groups that received a Patagonia grant this year
157,000: Dollars given to nonprofits through our Employee Charity Match program
38 MILLION: Dollars allocated to invest in environmentally and socially responsible companies through our venture capital fund, Tin Shed Ventures
5: Mega-dams that will not be built on Chile’s Baker and Pascua rivers thanks to a worldwide effort in which we participated
192: Fair Trade Certified™ styles in the Patagonia line as of fall 2016
430,000: Dollars in Fair Trade premiums paid to apparel workers since we introduced Fair Trade products in 2014
300,000: Dollar amount of new and used clothing given through our clothing donation program
100: Percentage of Patagonia products we take back for recycling
20: Year anniversary of using only organically grown cotton in our cotton clothing

14,000: Volunteer hours worked through our environmental internship program
1,600: Number of employees who have taken part in our environmental internship program since its inception in 1994
1,158: Hours employees at our Ventura and Reno campuses worked through Patagonia’s volunteer program
80: Number of activists trained this year at our Tools for Grassroots Activists conference
798,900: Single-driver car trip miles avoided through our Drive-Less program
44,000: Clothing repairs performed at our Reno repairs facility, the biggest in the U.S.
10,000: Number of Tools for Grassroots Activists books printed
100+ MILLION: Dollars 1% for the Planet® has donated to nonprofit environmental groups since it was founded in 2002 by Patagonia founder Yvon Chouinard and Craig Mathews
95: Percentage (by weight) of waste-stream materials recycled at our Reno Service Center

Impressive how you attempt to diminish Chouinard's efforts because he got tired of the nonsense that is the UTah governement.

I think someone's dislike for Bears Ear has greatly interfered with their objectivity

Lots of lawsuits. Not what I would call collaborative approach.

That goes with the territory, if you cant make collaboration work.

You should know, your State has one going to compel the United States Government to give them OUR PUBLIC LANDS.

Just out of curiosity, how much did Utah "collaborate" with hunters, fishermen, business owners, its own citizens, etc. etc. in regard to PLT before they filed said lawsuit?

Where's your outrage over that?

Last edited:

http://www.patagonia.com/environmental-grants.html

I have nothing for or against Patagonia's stances. Nor am I that informed on what they are.
I own some of their clothes and I like everything I've bought from them.

I do wonder, as I keep seeing their 'sponsored' post of Bears Ears on Facebook as they film it from a drone, how many people who never had heard of bears Ears are now going to visit. Hopefully it's not 'loved to death' by those trying to protect it.

Don't know if it'll be "loved to death" but it'll definitely get more visitors. Some of the management issues in the Grand Staircase are simply caused by a whole lot more folks visiting the area.

Back