PEAX Equipment

Stuff bags?

rmauch20

Just want to get some opinions on stuff bags or stuff sacks how many you guys use them do you like them, are they worth the few extra ounces and the extra money?
I just got an outdoor research 20 L bag. It seems like a good idea but as a first timer I don't know if it's necessary or just icing on the cake. Some of the pros I see to them are they help with organization, Help protect the clothes and other items in the pack if rains or if your water bladder starts to leak, and I guess it could be even use as a pillow.

Or should I just throw my stuff in my pack quit overthinking it and go?

It all depends on how you operate. I don't like a bunch of pockets on my pack personally, some prefer that. I rely on 2 stuff sacks to organize all my little stuff, and one bigger one for food. I prefer silnylon or cuben fiber.
1: spare stuff that would go in any pack for a day hike or backpacking trip, i.e. ibuprofen, matches, athletic tape, headlamp, batteries, etc.
2: post kill hunting specific stuff i.e. tags, knife, pen, game bags
3: food, organized by one quart zip lock per day, and mtn houses tossed in, 1 per day. If in grizzly terrain this is an Ursack.

I do use a dry bag for my sleeping bag if wet weather is a likelihood, otherwise not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with SnowyMountaineer. Just depends on what you like. I have one pocket on my pack...

Similar to SM's organization, but I take 4 bags:
*small bag with little stuff similar to SM's list above.
*a light dry bag for essential cloths that goes in my pack, containing, hat, gloves, socks, spare thermal. I keep my puffy in it when not wearing it.
*a compression bag for food, and usually have another light dry bag for cloths/toiletries/etc that I leave in camp, both stay in camp.
*"kill kit" stays in a gallon ziplok in my pack. Contains, tags, bags, rope, knife, small piece of pastic, and a couple garbage bags for blood containment.

The bags I have, weigh maybe 3 oz combined. The organization is worth it for me.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back