Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Topic idea: animal behavior

PoWdA

One topic that seems to be missed in the podcasts I listen to us animal behavior. Sure, some aspects are touched on or glossed over, a podcast (or possibly a series broken down by species) would be great.

For instance, what does a deers year look like? What about a specific season, like summer, and how does its behavior differ from the rut? What is the rut? How long does it last? When does it end? What about daily habits? When do they sleep? What do they eat?

Now how does that differ with elk? Bear? Sheep? Pronghorn?

A lot of this stuff seems elementary to most hunters, but as a new hunter, I'd love to learn these aspects of the animals life, and hopefully become a better hunter in the process.

So, nobody would have any interest in this topic? I am a fly fisherman. If it weren't for my knowledge of trout behavior, I would catch half of the fish I catch. In the podcasts, Randy talks about his strategy of picking glassing spots or spots to check out on a hunt based on animal needs. I would love to hear more about these needs.

Good post.

Give the guys time. Most are working at this time of day.

I like your suggestion.

I kinda figured I posted it late last night so nobody saw it.

Also, it would be cool to see a breakdown of their day and how that may change depending on the season, etc.

I love this idea. Because I never have hunted outwest I have little knowledge of the flora in the the mountians and how the mule deer and elk relate. I have been stuck to using my University's data base to find articles on mule deer diet. It has been interesting to learn, but hard to synthesize it all being a student of law and not biology or chemistry.

Back home in WI, whitetail hunting revovles around the right food source. Why not as much talk out west?

Last edited:
I'm gonna take a stab at this. I think that because western hunting is generally a spot and stalk style hunting, animal behavior is not quite as critical as say a bow hunter in the east. Not to say food sources and rut behavior don't matter. Its just that when you are on top of a mountain glassing down in a basin that covers hundreds of acres, you are already looking at multiple food sources and observing rut behavior.

Having said all of that, I agree that this is a great topic and it would be of great interest to me.

Back