Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

April Scouting

Well I guess this kind of covers two different critters but the answer may be the same. Next month I'm going on my annual turkey trip out in Colorado. I'll have an extra 3-4 days to play with and thanks to Randy, I impulse applied for a Montana deer tag and am planning on hunting the southeastern portion of the state, hopefully for my first muley. I also plan on antelope hunting Wyoming I guess somewhat near gillette.

I love driving so covering all that country isn't a problem, but being the fact that I live in Michigan and a summer scouting trip is probably out of the question, I'm wondering if what I see in April is going to give me any valuable information?

I plan on doing a 2 week vacation in mid to late October to hit the antelope first then tie it in to the first week of Montana rifle deer. My antelope hunt will hopefully be with 2 buddies, and being that as much as I've been trying to get them to buy preference points with no luck, we're stuck hunting a unit with easy draw odds and a tricky public land situation. I'm hoping to have some spots checked in on a gps that come hunting time we are good to go.

For deer I'll be going solo, probably hunting national forest land but I will be doing a lot of research on the block management as well. Back home for whitetails, April before green up is a good time to scout just because the previous fall's sign is still visible. Does that hold true for Muleys? Or should I just focus on finding where numbers of Mule deer live, or is spring scouting not even worth it?

Figured I'd see what you guys think and perhaps maybe some pointers on what I'm looking for when checking out new areas. Thanks

Hey Amigo I get it, nothing better than a road trip. Are you chasing Rio's or Merriams?

There's plenty of Rio's here on the plains. A farmer I pheasant hunt on has ask me to come manage the Rio's away from his house. Cant call it a hunt, more a shoot

No offense , but I wouldn't consider hunting Muleys in Montana until atleast nov 5th/10th. You'll see nothing but young deer for the most part . Always a chance I guess but odds would be way better during the rut just a little tip . But nonetheless have a great trip and thanks for sharing !

No offense , but I wouldn't consider hunting Muleys in Montana until atleast nov 5th/10th. You'll see nothing but young deer for the most part . Always a chance I guess but odds would be way better during the rut just a little tip . But nonetheless have a great trip and thanks for sharing !

Thanks, the opening week would be the most convenient time, and theres a slight possibility I could come back right before thanksgiving

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back