MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Fixed Broad head opinions - Ramcat

MazzHunter

I am just getting back into archery hunting after about 15 yrs. I have read through a few other posts on broad heads and i know there is huge debate over or fixed or expandable. Also, there is a ton of info on every broad head on the market which becomes confusing at some point....

I have decided on fixed blade broad heads based on my opinions I have gathered for elk and mule deer here in CO. My local shop seems to like Ramcat, however, I have seen many positive opinions on other brands/models. The other 100 gr broad heads I'm considering are Slick Trick or Muzzy Trocar. I'm just trying to find the best performance with the least amount of tuning from my field tips.

Anyone with experience with the Ramcats?

I did do a search for Ramcat on this forum and really not much info specific to those broad heads.

Thanks in advance.

I tried shooting Muzzy MX4's and could never get them to fly right out of a properly tuned bow. I now shoot 125 grain Slick Trick Mags and absolutely love them. At 60 yards they fly within an inch of my field points, less on average. They fly quiet and hit like a freight train. The blood trails are amazing too. Shuttle T's are another good option. I shot them for years and the chisel tip design punched through bone with ease. The Slick Tricks fly better out of my new bow, so I went back to them.

Ramcats are VERY sharp and fly pretty good, or well. However, I found them to be noisy in flight and not very tough at all.

I have been shooting 100 gr. Trocars for the past 4 seasons and absolutely love them. I've yet to have an animal make it more that 70 yards before tipping. Easy to tune and fly great at long range. One thing to consider, heavy arrows and non "speed" bows will increase your ability to tune a fixed blade broadhead dramatically.

Tried & True 100gr Thunderheads. Never found a reason to switch in 20 years.

And I'll one up with Blake. Arrows are not bullets, nor do they kill in the same way. A little heavy and Sharp will beat speed every time, as long as it's put in the vitals.

I use Montec G5's, I shot Muzzy for damn near a decade before I fell in love with the Montecs. There still isn't anything wrong with Muzzy, I made the switch to Montec because of the blade longevity, the blades on the Montecs are a single unit with the broadhead and can be re-sharpened instead of replaced. The past season I used the same broadhead on my elk and deer and it's still going to be used this year. Unfortunately I'm a newb at using a wet stone, so I probably cost myself a good broadhead or two early on, but I think I've got the hang of the stone and sharpen the blades religiously. The picture is of the pass through on my bull, arrow went straight through and lodged in a downed log about 15 yards past the elk. Super sharp and would recommend them to anyone. Another broadhead I hear a lot of good things on is Fixpandables, a friend uses them and have always had great penetration and awesome blood trails. Although I'm not giving my Montecs up, it might be another option to explore. arrow.jpg

I shot a doe this fall with the 100 gr. Ramcat. I made a less than stellar shot and watched the animal expire. They are the one of the few broadheads I have shot that flew EXACTLY like my field points.

Ramcats are VERY sharp and fly pretty good, or well. However, I found them to be noisy in flight and not very tough at all.

This is what I have mostly heard though I don't have any experience with them personally.

As for my preferences... I really love the Muzzy Trocar and QAD Exodus. The Exodus seems to be a tougher head, Trocar sharper. Both fly great

I have not tried ramcats, but I can tell you that you can't go wrong with Muzzeys. My favorites are the 100 grain 4-blade. I recommend those. They fly through animals without hardly slowing down and with that extra blade actually have a bigger cutting surface than a BH of similar diameter. They used to be more popular, but seem to have dropped off a bit after the MX line came out. At least that's how it seems.

First broadhead I ever shot was a muzzy mx3, everything I have ever shot with one has died within 50 yards including 2-3 marginal shots. Every time I have tried to switch I am disappointed.lost two animals in my life, one turkey and one book lope, both were with expandable broadheads and both looked like perfect shots. My daughter shot G5 montecs this year and we were happy with clean pass thru shots from her 45 lb bow on deer. The montecs flew the same as her field points

Last edited:
Broadheads are like bows in that everyone has their own opinion for a whole list of valid reasons. And like bows, 99.9% of the equipment out there is WAY better than any other time in history.

If a person makes a poor shot with a well made, broadhead, it's easier to blame the equipment than the shooter (not always the case).

I have been shooting a 100gr 3 blade from VPA archery, and have had great success! They are machined out of a single solid block of VERY hard steel and they are easy to resharpen. I shot 2 deer, and a coyote with one BH, and it still sits in the #1 spot in my quiver.

I have NO affiliation with VPA, I just use their product and I think it's great.

just my 0.02

I've yet to kill anything with muzzy trocars, but they fly excellent out to 90yds, which is the furthest that ive shot them.

Another vote for slick tricks but it's the only fixed head I ever have used. After tuning my bow to field points I have never had to make an adjustment to ST standards or magnums. Many other listed heads will be good as well. Good broad head flight has as much, if not more, to do with bow tune, form and arrow build as anything. Just pick one that has a good reputation and catches your fancy and go with it until you have reason to change. For every lover of a particular head you'll find a hater...

with all of the slick trick positive opinions...which is being used?

Standard? Magnum? Grizz?

Again, I'm looking at 100 gr.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back