Sleeping Issues

Idahoarcheryhunter

Hey guys not sure if this has been touched on before but does anybody else deal with crappy sleep when bivy/ backpack hunting or just me? I always seem to not be able to turn my mind off after I get back to my tent even after a high intensity day where I should hit the hay hard, after this last season of crappy sleep I have decided its time to figure something out. I had a buddy suggest Tylenol Pm for the end of the day saying it helps with soreness and puts ya to sleep pretty easy. Anybody have any other suggestions ?

I've had some struggles with insomnia. I tried melatonin and I always wake up with a headache.

I read a lot and always take a paperback when I'm backpacking. It seems to help me to settle into my bag and use my headlamp to read for a while. I can generally get off to sleep that way. Insomnia is a drag. It comes and goes with me. My method may not help much, but I generally don't have trouble sleeping in the mountains, just in my own bed.

you can google sleep hygiene for suggestions. I replay a past hunt in my mind, trying to remember all the details. This takes my mind off the day and relaxes me. Then I'm out.

I always toss and turn the first 2-3 nights of a backpack trip. Usually by mid to late trip I sleep better. Two things that have helped: a comfortable sleeping pad under the bag and an actual pillow. No rolled up jacket, no clothes stuffed in your sleeping bag stuff sack but a pillow similar to what I'd use at home. I lost far too many sleepless nights before figuring that one out.

Two things that have helped: a comfortable sleeping pad under the bag and an actual pillow. No rolled up jacket, no clothes stuffed in your sleeping bag stuff sack but a pillow similar to what I'd use at home. I lost far too many sleepless nights before figuring that one out.

This! Once I got pack goats I started packing a full size real pillow from home. It looks ridiculous but it's worth it.

1st, just to touch on the melatonin idea. It's NOT a 'sleep aid' so to speak, but more so a sleep inducer. It induces the brain chemicals to think that it's a time to sleep. In this case more is not better. 1mg is a max dose for more than 8 hrs of actual sleep time. Any higher dosage, or shorter period will generate a 'hangover' effect.

After tons of nights in the field, military & hunting, I found this helps, but never replaces a good snuggle with Miss Robbie.

Warm Works! Get a skullcap & wear it. Put on a light pair of gloves and some warm socks, even in moderate weather. Don't sleep in your day clothes. Have some designated sleepwear, even if it's a set of sweats.

Iso-Pad !! An air mattress is not the same and just a pain to inflate.

I agree with the 'a real pillow' idea. Here an inflatable is fine, just have some type of cover over it, otherwise it will feel cold all night long and don't over inflate.

Lastly, don't underestimate the power of one Aleve.....and a double shot of booze !!

Welcome to La-La land ! Sweet dreams Buck-A-Roo.

I have trouble sleeping no matter where I'm at. I will take a couple Advil PM if I get really behind on sleep and usually that will do the trick. I don't know what it is about the Advil, but it seems to always work better than any of the other "PM" type medicines.

I would also add that you could join the Marine Corps. They will teach you to sleep anywhere anytime.

I had trouble sleeping camping sometimes as well and I found a good pillow made all the difference. I got my from Sea to Summit, it packs down to the smaller than a baseball and weighs nothing, I even take it on the road with me when I have to travel for work because I often cant get comfortable with the crappy hotel pillows.

If you are hunting in Colorado or Washington I know what will help you sleep! :D

Advil PM is the better choice. The ibuprofen helps with the muscle pain. If it is just sleep, try Benadryl allergy, It is the PM in all of these products, Benadryl, Diphenhydramine, does cause problems in older people (me). Cannot pee!

Solitude, dreams of big bulls, and the soft patter of rain on the tent? ;)

Well not exactly....as long as you aren't on federal land (I think) cannabis would be legal, a indica strain would work just fine. So I hear anyways :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back